ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #166
garridan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Voyager GPS answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor2of7 View Post
I've started doing organized dual sport rides where they provide a roll chart but will also provide GPS data as well. Typically the organizers won't upload onto the later Nuvi style devices but will upload to the older Garmin style units (not sure why that is). I don't think that Trail Tech wrote their own GPS operating software, does anyone know what they used as a starting point?
My questions are:
Has anyone done one of these organized rides and successfully uploaded ride information?
Was having that data on a GPS helpful?
What's involved in dismounting the unit so you can take it to the registration desk for the upload? If not by dismounting, how do you transfer the data?
Is the Voyager waterproof?
Can the trip odo be reset? If so can it only be reset only to zero or some other interval.
I can answer a few of your questions.

I don't think that Trail Tech wrote their own GPS operating software, does anyone know what they used as a starting point? We use GPX format for our trails, routes and waypoints. This is an opensource version of GPS data and allows the most flexibility for users. Most files are either in GPX format or can be easily converted.

Has anyone done one of these organized rides and successfully uploaded ride information? With the help of the organizers of Barstow-to-Vegas event we provided course maps to our customers running Voyager. According to the feedback we received, it was extremely helpful.

What's involved in dismounting the unit so you can take it to the registration desk for the upload? If not by dismounting, how do you transfer the data? Voyager has two threaded inserts for mounting on the back of the unit, but it is not required to load GPS data. Voyager has a small SDMicro card included with the kits. This card is designed to transfer the information between a computer and Voyager or Voyager to Voyager transfers.

Is the Voyager waterproof? Yes, every unit is tested to insure it is waterproof.

Can the trip odo be reset? If so can it only be reset only to zero or some other interval. it can be reset to zero, but it also has adjustable trip distance that can be adjusted by 0.1 of a mile.

Hopefully this helps a little. Please let me know if you have any other questions and we will do our best to answer them.

Garridan
Trail Tech, Inc.
360-687-4530
garridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #167
Motor2of7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Garridan,

Great info. Thanks.

Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is not our friend.
Motor2of7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #168
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
So has anyone become an expert on the Voyager? Garridan didn't have any suggestions when I asked him via email.

I have a unit and bought it knowing it's limitations as a GPS. As a track display unit it works fine. In terms of managing waypoints, it seems lacking. Waypoints are two digits only and tagged from 0 thru 99, then A0 thru A9, B0 thru B9 and so on up to the maximum of 300. The real difficulty is that they are sequential and can't be renamed or resorted or reordered in any way.

There is a rename function, but it only adds information for the existing waypoint, it does not alter what you see on the screen. I was hoping to use something like RideLeader (or Mapquest + GPS Babel) to rename/reorder the waypoints. Has anyone else tried to do this?
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #169
bootz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Well, just did about 1300 miles in CO & UT with the Voyager. All of the functions worked great. The GPS worked as advertised but didn't come close to meeting my needs. The only performance glitch was the zoom/position switch on the map kept getting stuck and didn't want to switch back & forth between functions. After a few days, I stopped using it and just followed one of the other riders who had a more capable Garmin. I'll still use it to find my way back to the truck in OHV areas, but I'm shopping for one with internal maps to use on longer trips.
bootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #170
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootz View Post
Well, just did about 1300 miles in CO & UT with the Voyager.
Thank you for the review.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #171
ice98
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Not much review done on the voyager..so I like to contribute mine.

Ordered in May , direct from Trailtech.Could not get much feedback from the web , so I just jump in buying it cause its all in one since I don't have any speedo on my bike.
ice98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #172
ice98
n00b

It's easy DIY.
Prepared epoxy mix to bond the magnet onto the
the disc brake .

The magnet and sensor cable are used for acurate reading of speed , data logging etc.

Running of sensor cables together with front brake hose.
Also comes with temperature sensor to be connected to the radiator hose , for monitoring the bike's coolant temp.
Direct connection to 12V battery.

Installed an on/off switch to charge the voyager. Also done the engine running sensor wrapped around the ignition cable just like the hour meter. The voyager will log your track by sensing the running engine.

All done!!
Check out the blue backlit light..
What you see is a gpx track and waypoint which I transferred from the Micro SD card.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #173
ice98
n00b

Ride Leader Software which comes along with the box , also can be downloaded from Trailtech site. The best thing about this software is that it is integrated with google earth as you can see on the tab whereas Garmin's mapsource needs to open the individual Google earth programme.
I prefer to manually draw my routes from map and sattelite view in this software and save it in GPX form whereas in google earth it is in kml format .
Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #174
ice98
n00b

The Voyager doesn't have any topo nor maps,roads or waypoints with wordings (just numbers).It's blank. If you want tracks or routes, you can manually "draw" from the Ride leader software or load your gpx files to the micro sd card.
My opinion:
Pros:
Accurate logging
Clear viewing contrast, can see clearly when off course (routes in grey, tracks in black)
Good software
motorcycle computer(altitude,temperature,sensor,compass)
easy importing and exporting GPX files.

Cons:
No maps ,topos,waypoint with number display only

Need to toggle the joystick for panning the map all the time when zoom as the location arrow doesn't stays centre, arrow will go off the screen.(I've set the map track up and always centre of the map, still doesn't work , any idea??)

Since no maps, I got to subtitute with another device. My Garmin nuvi 1350..
I love the big screen!!

Got the bike mounting new from ebay.

Screen shades to prvent glares.

Another setup with my etrex Hcx, I prefer slicker Etrex than 60csx cause of the protruding antenna, also I prefer the colour brightness and battery life(according to specs.)

Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #175
garridan
Adventurer

More Voyager GPS Talk

Quote:
Need to toggle the joystick for panning the map all the time when zoom as the location arrow doesn't stays centre, arrow will go off the screen.(I've set the map track up and always centre of the map, still doesn't work , any idea??)
I wanted to address this issue since it comes up from time to time. Also I had the same issue when I was using Voyager. I went to the software engineer and, "Something is wrong with your code. It won't keep the arrow in the center of the screen even though I have auto center on". Here is what he told me...

There are two map screens on Voyager. The first one is when you first scroll to the "Map" tab (we will call this Map screen 1). The second is when you push the navigation knob to the right and it shows the the option to pan and zoom (we will call this map screen 2). Under maps screen 1 auto zoom and auto center work fine if they are turned on in the user settings. In map screen 2 the auto zoom and auto center are disabled. Logically this makes sense. If you had auto center active on map screen 2, when you pan around Voyager would try to recenter ever time. It would defeat the purpose of panning then.

If you have auto zoom on, you can toggle down to map screen 1. Do not push the navigation knob to the right. after 20 seconds the menu bar disappears and you will have a full map screen that will auto zoom and auto center.

Let me know if this doesn't work and we can go through some more trouble shooting ideas.

As always, feel free to call us.

Garridan
Trail Tech, Inc.
360-687-4530
Old 07-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #176
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
hi,

so, "opensource" refers to the fact that it uses GPX format, not that the OS is opensource, which would be really cool. if it were GNU Copyleft, then you could get the programmer savy user/population writing a topo map viewer for it and giving it back to the community. aside from that, any chance some of us can get the sources (assuming we sign a NDA) to develop a map interface for it ? at the minimum it would be cool if it could read free USGS topo maps in geotiff format and overlay them.

-ingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by garridan View Post
I can answer a few of your questions.

I don't think that Trail Tech wrote their own GPS operating software, does anyone know what they used as a starting point? We use GPX format for our trails, routes and waypoints. This is an opensource version of GPS data and allows the most flexibility for users. Most files are either in GPX format or can be easily converted.

Hopefully this helps a little. Please let me know if you have any other questions and we will do our best to answer them.

Garridan
Trail Tech, Inc.
360-687-4530
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #177
garridan
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicwanderer View Post
hi,

so, "opensource" refers to the fact that it uses GPX format, not that the OS is opensource, which would be really cool. if it were GNU Copyleft, then you could get the programmer savy user/population writing a topo map viewer for it and giving it back to the community. aside from that, any chance some of us can get the sources (assuming we sign a NDA) to develop a map interface for it ? at the minimum it would be cool if it could read free USGS topo maps in geotiff format and overlay them.

-ingo
You are correct. The opensource refers to the GPS data and not the OS. We have discussed releasing the code before and decided at this time it was something we were not going to do.

We are continually working on the Voyager platform to better serve the needs of our industry.

As always, please feel free to contact us any time.

Garridan
360-687-4530
Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #178
ditch_pig
n00b from hell

Oddometer: 21
Thumb just got it

Got my voyager last week! So far easy to setup, and my sensor speeds and GPS speeds seem to be pretty accurate. It's been tracking where I go with no sd card installed and I LOVE all the information that's accessible (tach, temp, speed, voltage in, battery voltage are my favorites). I have it mounted to an 87 XR600R. The mount that comes with it's a little cheesy and I would personally like to see some kind of "quick mount" so I don't have to leave it on the bike when parked. I haven't had the chance to load any maps yet but I have played with trailtech's ride leader and it seems pretty user friendly. I'll be riding and tracking a favorite spot of mine as soon as I get a weekend that's not sweltering or storming. I'm a GPS newb so hopefully this doesn't end up being a frustrating experience.

*EDIT* The supplied mounting system is a little cheesy.. BUT trailtech was considerate enough to include a 1 1/8" mounting kit as well as the standard kit and it does what it's supposed to do while keeping initial costs down.

ditch_pig screwed with this post 08-07-2011 at 07:23 AM
ditch_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 AM   #179
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch_pig View Post
Got my voyager last week! So far easy to setup, and my sensor speeds and GPS speeds seem to be pretty accurate. It's been tracking where I go with no sd card installed and I LOVE all the information that's accessible (tach, temp, speed, voltage in, battery voltage are my favorites). I have it mounted to an 87 XR600R. The mount that comes with it's a little cheesy and I would personally like to see some kind of "quick mount" so I don't have to leave it on the bike when parked. I haven't had the chance to load any maps yet but I have played with trailtech's ride leader and it seems pretty user friendly. I'll be riding and tracking a favorite spot of mine as soon as I get a weekend that's not sweltering or storming. I'm a GPS newb so hopefully this doesn't end up being a frustrating experience.

*EDIT* The supplied mounting system is a little cheesy.. BUT trailtech was considerate enough to include a 1 1/8" mounting kit as well as the standard kit and it does what it's supposed to do while keeping initial costs down.
Thinking of buying this unit and I am interested in your initial impressions and ease of use for a GPS newbie. Please post your experience with this unit once you get a few miles on it.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #180
kclark
1SevenZero

Oddometer: 81
If any of you are familiar with the Washington Back Country Discovery Route a buddy of mine could use some help. He has the Trail Tech Voyager GPS, but when he attempts to import the Unabridged WABDR.gpx file it tells him "XML file error."

Have any of you gotten it to successfully import the file, and if so what did you do?

Thanks
kclark is offline   Reply With Quote