ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #181
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kclark View Post
If any of you are familiar with the Washington Back Country Discovery Route a buddy of mine could use some help. He has the Trail Tech Voyager GPS, but when he attempts to import the Unabridged WABDR.gpx file it tells him "XML file error."...
Has he tried running it through an XML file checker or using GPSBabel to convert it from a GPX to a GPX (that sometimes cleans up any errors)?

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #182
garridan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
Has he tried running it through an XML file checker or using GPSBabel to convert it from a GPX to a GPX (that sometimes cleans up any errors)?
If he has problems converting and importing it, please have him send me the file directly. We converting part of the trail as a demo when Touratech USA was visiting us.

Garridan
garridan@trailtech.net
garridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #183
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
I installed my new voyager at my WR250R.
I got improved reading by following trail-techs advise (see vapor section of their tech faq) to reduce number of cable loops around ignition coil.
However, still not acurate when riding higher speed.

The unit is fun to use and I am happy with it.

However, there is a problem I could not resolve up to now (SW 1.08.06, flashed today):
It would export my rides to the 8GB micro SD card flawlessly, but it would not import it again.
Even after cleaning internal trip and track data, it does not import any GPX from that SD card.

After correctly selecting the GPX file to import from the SD card, the Voyager display says:

FILE ERROR
Error reading /rides/
DISK ERROR (1)

When copying the GPX from the SD card where voyager created it to my computer, it turns out the GPX is totally ok. It looks like the voyager is capable of writing to this SD card but cannot read from it.
Same problem with two more GPX files that were created through google maps.
All those GPX files look good and can be processed by standard tools and my Garmin GPS as well, but voyager refuses to import them.

Is this a known problem? Anything I missed?

UPDATE: issue resolved. Must not use FAT32 SDHC card. Works with FAT16 SD card. Will check manual whether I missed this point...

Update II: working on tach issue: no longer winding wire around ignition coil, which did not deliver trustworthy results, but tapping orange wire (low voltage input of coil) instead with sensor wire. Readings acurate sometimes, but still random mostly, especially when riding at higher speed.

Update III: installed temperature sensor and speed sensor at Yamaha WR250R. Configured warning LEDs (orange and red, constant or flashing) to signal water temp of 70, 80, 90 and 100 degree (Celsius).

GPS antenna seems very good, by the way. I have full signal in my garage. This is not possible with the Oregon.
Phil

flatboarder screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 04:40 AM Reason: Resolved issue. Tach acuracy still open, sensors connected, sample GPX, removed deprecated links
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #184
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaki View Post
You can download the street maps from openstreetmaps.org. They have to be converted using GPSBabel (available online for free) before your TrailTech program can use them. These instructions are all in the manual starting on page 43.

You basically go to openstreetmaps, select the area of roads that you want, download them, convert them, remove all the waypoints using your TrailTech provided software, copy the file to your microSD card that came with the GPS and import it to the GPS. It sounds a bit complicated but trust me, if I can do it, anyone can do it.
How fast/slow does the unit process scrolling through a decent area with openstreetmaps? I'm thinking 300km loops etc.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #185
Dakar Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Any reports on how the mounting system is holding up? The website suggests the single-sided plastic arm-mount for my bike (WRF) but I'd like it to be a bit more integrated with one of the solid ano mounts for offroad forays. Is it possible to use a bilateral arm mount for stability (ie. one on each side of the device)?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #186
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
This unit would be awesome and I would buy one in an instant if it had this one feature that would be AMAZING for those of us that ride timekeeping enduros but don't want to "cheat" by using an ICO computer...

a screen with nothing but speed, time of day, and an odometer that is adjustable by tenths.

If it had this, I could replace my trailtech endurance, my cheap unreliable plastic clock, and my gps handlebar mount freeing up the clutter and giving me only two places I need to watch on the bars. I would think this would be pretty dang easy to program in a software update. I would even graciously offer my free services of field-testing it in an enduro.

Heck, there's probably even a way that it could display an automatically-scrolling roll-chart but that's a pie-in-the-sky request I know. Wouldn't that be freakingly awesome for enduros and dual-sport events??? It could be imported via gpx files even.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #187
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp View Post
This unit would be awesome and I would buy one in an instant if it had this one feature that would be AMAZING for those of us that ride timekeeping enduros but don't want to "cheat" by using an ICO computer...

a screen with nothing but speed, time of day, and an odometer that is adjustable by tenths.

The Voyager can already do all that
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #188
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
Or the Vector with it's remote.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #189
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Is the speed set in MPH or can it be changed to kilometers ?

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #190
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback jack View Post
Is the speed set in MPH or can it be changed to kilometers ?
Everything can easily be configured to metric units.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #191
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
I saw nothing in it's literature about an ODO adjustable by tenths. How do you access this feature?

The Vector does not have gps so while it offers a lot it's not an all-in-one solution.

dtp screwed with this post 11-14-2011 at 12:20 PM
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #192
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
The Vector does not have gps so while it offers a lot it's not an all-in-one solution.
No but it does have...
"a screen with nothing but speed, time of day, and an odometer that is adjustable by tenths."
Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #193
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
No but it does have...
"a screen with nothing but speed, time of day, and an odometer that is adjustable by tenths."
Ok well if you'd read all of my post you'd know the point was that if the Voyager had this feature I would not also need to have a gps on the bars. I already have that on my Endurance so why would I want a Vector for that?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #194
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Ok well if you'd read all of my post you'd know the point was that if the Voyager had this feature I would not also need to have a gps on the bars. I already have that on my Endurance so why would I want a Vector for that?
The Endurance doesn't have a permanent back light either.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #195
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
The Endurance doesn't have a permanent back light either.
LoL ok you win. The Vector has some neat features. Still not going to buy one though.