ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #196
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp View Post
LoL ok you win. The Vector has some neat features. Still not going to buy one though.

I've got a Panoram (previous version of the Endurance) on the Nordwest, Vapor on the TT350, and an Acewell 3100 on the DR650.

The Garmin Oregon 300 gets switched between bikes.

Most of the time the Venture would do me nicely. For the other times the Oregon would bolt to the bars in no time.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #197
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
I saw nothing in it's literature about an ODO adjustable by tenths. How do you access this feature?

The Vector does not have gps so while it offers a lot it's not an all-in-one solution.
On the Voyager you hold down the joystick button until the odometer starts flashing and then just click it up or down.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #198
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
On the Voyager you hold down the joystick button until the odometer starts flashing and then just click it up or down.
Awesome! Thank you! That sounds easy enough to do in a hurry on the trail. I may be picking one of these up then.

Tell me one other thing... is it practical to switch the Voyager between bikes? I'd like to be able to use it on three actually. Well maybe just two. My VStrom would do better with my road-routable gps I suppose.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #199
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Awesome! Thank you! That sounds easy enough to do in a hurry on the trail. I may be picking one of these up then.

Tell me one other thing... is it practical to switch the Voyager between bikes? I'd like to be able to use it on three actually. Well maybe just two. My VStrom would do better with my road-routable gps I suppose.
You can use it without wiring it to the bike. As a standalone device it is pretty easy to swap it. You need to remove and attach the clamp coming with the voyager. But this kind of usage does not make a lot of sense for motorcycle usage in my opinion.

However, as soon as you wire it to the bike for power supply, coolant temp, speed sensor and tach signal, you need to unplug its four small secured connectors which takes some time and you need to install the same kind of cables for each of your bikes. This may cost some money.

I suggest you would not want to transfer the complete wire harness of the voyager each time you swap bike and this would not even be possible without a big mess.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #200
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:

I guess it depends how you want to use it. I use mine to keep up with total engine hours and total mileage, so I would not want to move it around to different bikes. To take full advantage of what it does, you would need to install all the sensors for all the bikes that you would want to switch it around to. You for sure want the wheel sensor because it is the most accurate method to track speed and distance.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #201
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I've used the Voyager for most of this riding season. I don't use waypoints at all for the reasons listed in post #168. It does a great job of logging temperature and altitude, but displaying RPM is pitiful. It's all over the place (connected to the coil primary lead). This is not a big deal since RPM display is not important to me.

There is one thing I'd really like to see in this unit: The ability to have an extra method of track display. By this I mean changing the attributes so that some tracks can show as dotted lines. This way single track trails can be differentiated from double track.

Even if this could only be done using RideLeader, it would meet my needs.
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #202
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
How has the mount held up?
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #203
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

I didn't use the stock mount. I bought their accessory mount, but only scavenged the rubber grommets from it. I found it was better to make all my own hardware. I have free access to the machine shop at work.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:13 AM   #204
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
Even if this could only be done using RideLeader, it would meet my needs.
Neil, thanks for commenting on the tach issue. Same as for me. No use for random values, but works as detector for running engine.
Did you use Rideleader successfully?
For me (in Europe) this software did not work at all. It displays an empty screen, maybe a big ocean, no idea. It does not display the track data or anything useful at all.
Apart from that, I have anything GPS related running on this computer without any issues.

tmotten: no issues with stock mounting clamp for me up to now.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #205
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
displaying RPM is pitiful. It's all over the place (connected to the coil primary lead). This is not a big deal since RPM display is not important to me.
this can usually be fixed,
I went the extra mile and soldered in a resister in the lead and that cured my "all over the place" condition, I still think this is caused from the signal wire picking up some extra signal via proximity to something it shouldn't be.
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #206
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

I have no trouble at all with RideLeader. It is very rudimentary and somewhat clumsy. It takes a bit of right clicking to find some of the features. RideLeader displays OK in editor mode and map mode. Earth mode is slow but works, although I've never used it. List mode does nothing but I haven't tried to find out what it is supposed to do.

I find sharing the pan/zoom function on one button is awkward. As long as I remember to back out to the main map screen, the display while riding is passable. Based on my experience I can't recommend the Voyager and I'm using it to map out a specific riding area which is the task it was designed for.

I think it makes sense to buy a Garmin Montana and a very basic Trailtech or Acewell unit for odometer/hourmeter purposes. The Montana wasn't available when I bought the Voyager. The fact that the Voyager did not have maps was not an issue for me. I really only needed good track recording and track management capability.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #207
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
I went the extra mile and soldered in a resister in the lead
What value of resistor did you use? I wonder if the signal filtering time in the Voyager is correct.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:06 AM   #208
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
What value of resistor did you use? I wonder if the signal filtering time in the Voyager is correct.
Well, why not just use coaxial wire? Maybe connecting coating mesh to ground? This should prevent interference of other signals, I guess. Maybe I will give it a try. However, I am wondering how the Vapor does it. It is explicitely offered as a Tachometer with grafical signal bar. It should perform better than the voyager with respect to displaying tach values.

Neil, you are right, the Pan/Zoom control is messed up. It seems like they kind of fixed it for the FW 2 devices, but not for the FW 1 devices. At least they introduced a one button zoom level change between two levels, according to changelog.

I still like the idea of having a GPS tracker at hand whenever I use the motorcycle. The Voyager as a fixed gauge is always at hand, and I can collect my rides on it, mark places, eval vehicle data, whatever. However, there are some nasty issues. For instance, incompatibility with Garmin Oregon created GPX files (preventing just inserting a Garmin SD card to import those tracks without editing them manually) due to trivial reasons. Also, I would still ask for integration of the tripmaster remote switch, to have an all in one instrument. And correct tach values.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #209
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
I used a 2.2K 1/8watt resister from Radio Shack,

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
Well, why not just use coaxial wire? Maybe connecting coating mesh to ground? This should prevent interference of other signals, I guess.
That's not a bad Idea, I was trying to think of a way to shield the wire from outside signals.
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #210
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Bikes with FI lights

The new Fuel Injection bikes have FI lights that should be heeded, should something go wrong.

I looked through the Voyager manual and noted that the LED lights are for the water temp only.

Trail Tech, can you guys update your software so that these lights can be used (as an option) for the FI lights. Now that FI is becoming more and more common, is Trail Tech going to address this issue and provide a way to monitor the FI light?

Since these are supposed to "replace" the standard display units, will this be addressed?
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote