ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 08:05 AM   #211
Mopowa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Screen protector

I just installed my Voyager yesterday and I'd like to put a screen protector on it. Has someone already done this? If so, which protector did you buy and what method did you use to cut a pattern for it? TIA
Old 12-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #212
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopowa View Post
I just installed my Voyager yesterday and I'd like to put a screen protector on it. Has someone already done this? If so, which protector did you buy and what method did you use to cut a pattern for it? TIA
My plan is to use one if the "generic" Zagg phone screen protecters. These can be found at Best Buy for $20 and they work very well. Although, i won't have the Voyager, i'll be getting a Vector and leave the GPS functions to a colored unit.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #213
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,740
Before I installed my Voyager, I kept the plastic shipping film that stuck on the screen and used that as a template. I had some Fellowes WriteRight universal screen protectors that I got at Office Depot a while back. That works pretty good.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #214
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Has anyone tried running an hour meter along with their Voyager? If so, have you ran both pickup wires to the spark plug boot/coil?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #215
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
Has anyone tried running an hour meter along with their Voyager? If so, have you ran both pickup wires to the spark plug boot/coil?
Why ? Voyager has a permanent hour meter.
Johnf3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #216
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
Perhaps they are using an aviation type hour meter, i.e., one that uses both time and engine speed to calculate the engine hours. For example, if the engine redline is 5000 rpm and I run it at that speed for 1 hour then I have used up one engine hour. But if I have run the same engine at 4000 rpm for 1 hour then I have used up 0.8 engine hours.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #217
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
I already had an hour meter on the bike before I bought my Voyager. Would like to run both if possible.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #218
LanceHenderson
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wicked Voyager Installed- New Review - Long Post

Hi all. I'm new to this site. It seems like there is more information on the Trail Tech Voyager than any other forum that I've come across. I have a couple of comments as a new Voyager user. First the good, then the less than good.

**Background Info**
As a US Marine for 20+ years, I have used Garmin GPS products for a long time. I have used them for land navigation as well as boating, street nav and flying. I am a CH-46E pilot and currently use a Garmin 696 for a backup nav system. (Honestly it works better than my aircraft's GPS) My point is, I'm very familar with Garmin GPS and their accuracy and dependability. However, I took a chance on the Voyager because of it's more detailed features and have no regrets.

I installed the Voyager on a 2003 Honda CRF450R. I use it primarily for trail riding in the California City, California area. (While this bike isn't idea for trail riding, it was given to me by my awesome brother who no longer rides. You can't fault me for trail riding an awesome motorcross bike when it was free )

First, let me start by praising Trail Tech's customer service. Every time I call, a human answers the phone and is extremely helpful. They have been patient with me and have answered all of my questions. I had a bad wheel sensor and they sent me a new one based off of my word. I REALLY appreciate that.

Installing the Voyager has been awesome for building my situational awareness. First, the radiator temperature is huge. I knew that my bike would get hotter than normal while chugging around in 1st gear whilst following my 6yr old around on his Honda CRF 50. I didn't realize HOW much hotter it was getting though. Normally, when adult riding, I my temps are around at 60C but when chasing kids around at a snails pace, I consistantly hold 80C+. If I stop and do not kill the engine, the idle temperature starts to creep up to over 100C. My radiator fluid will eventually start running out of the overflow. Now, I have changed my habits to not idleing, an killing the bike any time I'm going to stop for more than a couple of minutes. I KNOW this has to help the service life of the engine. So, this feature alone has made it worth while to me. I did find it cumbersome to find a place to fit the thermistor in though. The ID of the radiator hose has 2 sizes. 5/8 and 3/4. The OD of the thermistor that I got with my unit was a 3/4. I needed to put the thermistor on a long piece of hose that was 5/8, so I ended up getting some 3/4 heater hose and replacing the 5/8 with it. The end connections for the new 3/4 heater hose doesn't fit perfectly with the 5/8 male ends, but I've managed to make it work. When the bike is cold and on initial start of the day, it releases a few drops of radiator fluid from each connection, but causes no real loss of fluid. It's still an annoyance that I'll address though.

I'm still waiting for my new wheel sensor to arrive in the mail, so I'm using GPS speed right now. As we all know, GPS speed is pretty accurate. I didn't realize how fast I was riding on long straight-aways. Now, I can see exactly how fast I'm going and have tamed my speed a bit. The odometer and speed help me with those time calculations now. If I'm trying to figure out how close to sunset I can push a ride, I can make a quick decision based off of speed and distance.

The Voyager tracks total miles and engine time. These parameters are not reset after each ride; they're accumaltive. This is huge in helping me determine oil change and other maintenance intervals.

The MAP mode seriously buildings your situational awareness as to where you are and where you've been. While this might not be a necessity for riding in some areas, it is certainly helpful in the desert. We do some long rides and is very helpful determining one trail from the next in a place that is spider webbed with trails. You would think that mountains in the distance would be great for navigating...and they are...but the Voyager allows me to maximize my exploration and riding time without having to worry about having to find my way back based off of navigating off of terrain relief.

The NAV mode is really useful in the desert. The page allows you to set a waypoint (for me it's always base camp or the beginning of my ride) and then navigate directly back to it. The little compass needle points TOWARD YOUR WAYPOINT. If you have the needle at the 12 position, then you are heading back toward your waypoint. It gives you heading and distance to it. One thing to be aware of is that the distance goes from miles to feet when you get closer. Don't let that throw you off. The first time that happened, I was like "the computer just freaked out". Nope, it was just being more accurate. Nice feature!

OK, now for the not so nice.

I'm a diehard Apple user. Everything in my house is Apple. iPhones, iPad, iMac, Powerbook, etc. RideLeader isn't MAC compatible. This isn't bueno. At first, I couldn't create and import a file from Google Earth. I tried creating the .kml file and then converting it to .gpx through Babel, but it would never import to my Voyager. This was really annoying. After chatting with tech support about it I decided to dig up my old PC and revive it SOLEY for using RideLeader. If you are a diehard Apple user, you know how much this pained me. (I'm not ready to spend a few hundred dollars on buying a copy of windows XP and running Parallels or Bootcamp) Now that I'm using the PC for RideLeader, I've had success in creating .gpx files that I successfully imported and used on a ride. However, RideLeader crashes about 75% of the time. It crashes in the Google Earth tab. I'm not exactly sure what to do about it. I've ensured that my Window's Vista is completely updated to the most recent build. I'll be calling customer support again. I'm certain they'll be able to help me.

You can't or shouldn't hard wire the Voyager into the Honda CRF450R. The peak voltage is too high and might fry your computer. You have to manage your battery level. However, I can ride all day with it if managing it properly. I wish there was a way to make the screen turn off but still log engine time. I would love to be able to go to a min power consumption setting while riding on a track or riding in a place that I don't need it. However, I'm not willing to turn it off, because I want it tracking total engine time.

Well, that's it for now. If you are considering a GPS for your needs and you are willing to put a little time in to learning this computer, I would certainly recommend it. It does EXACTLY what it advertises. I have been extremely happy with the customer support and very happy with the Voyager itself.

Happy Riding!
Lance
LanceHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #219
KIK ROX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Would this be a good unit for following something like the TAT?

I don't use GPS at all, so forgive my ignorance. I imagine I could upload a route (that's the right word isn't it, not tracks), and I would follow that route. How do I do that, are there prompts that say "turn right at ____ road"? Or am I looking at a map and essentially following a highlighted route?

If I find myself off route, will this tell me how to get back on route (provided I have the approprate local maps already uploaded into the unit)?
KIK ROX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #220
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIK ROX View Post
Would this be a good unit for following something like the TAT?

I don't use GPS at all, so forgive my ignorance. I imagine I could upload a route (that's the right word isn't it, not tracks), and I would follow that route. How do I do that, are there prompts that say "turn right at ____ road"? Or am I looking at a map and essentially following a highlighted route?

If I find myself off route, will this tell me how to get back on route (provided I have the approprate local maps already uploaded into the unit)?
It doesn't do maps or auto-routing. You upload tracks and waypoints.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #221
KIK ROX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Ah-so. I shant be buying this then. Maybe an Oregon or a Dakota, looks like I can use them while mountain biking too.
KIK ROX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #222
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIK ROX View Post
Ah-so. I shant be buying this then. Maybe an Oregon or a Dakota, looks like I can use them while mountain biking too.
I'd really like one if I was setting up another bike as the gps features I use adventuring are ones it has.

A bigger colour version would be cool though. With built in roll chart software :)

I use my Oregon every day and am pining for a Montana.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:59 AM   #223
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I still believe, the Voyager is a very nice tech gadget for offroad bikes and is well done as is. Add tripmaster features, maybe fix up tach display accuracy if possible and you've got a very nice tracking and data capturing instrument that is always at hand with lots of useful features.

However, I wonder whether the Voyager is still continued. No firmware upgrades since August 2011, FW-1 was not yet brought to FW-2 level, there are still some nice features missing for FW-1 devices. There are no more comments and responses from manufacturer.
I would really like to see this kind of device to be continued and would be interested whether there are any news or anything, also I am still waiting for the important quick zoom level features introduced with latest firmware only for FW-2 devices.
Regards, Phil
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #224
OLCruiserhead
n00b

Oddometer: 6
So I just want to clear something up...

Does it have maps? People on here are saying no, product descriptions are saying yes. If so, what maps are they? Can I upload my Garmin maps, or opensource ones I have for most of South America?

I'm looking forward to version 2.0... I hope some of the issues that appear to have been in the first version haven't put off the manufacturer from continuing along this line. This is, as far as I can tell, literally the only aftermarket motorcycle-cluster-integrated GPS there is available. I think by adding a few of the features people have asked for on here, this could be one of the most sought-after motorcycle aftermarket mods around... forget just off-roaders.

I'm tempted to buy one as is, but would like to know more about the mapping capabilities. As others have said, colour would be nice, but yes it's true maximum daylight readability is more important when it's your instrument cluster.

So... what's the deal?
OLCruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #225
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLCruiserhead View Post
So I just want to clear something up...

Does it have maps? People on here are saying no, product descriptions are saying yes. If so, what maps are they? Can I upload my Garmin maps, or opensource ones I have for most of South America?
Basically, no.
You can download tracks to it which show the roads but you have to do it manually.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote