ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #226
garridan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Firmware update

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
However, I wonder whether the Voyager is still continued. No firmware upgrades since August 2011, FW-1 was not yet brought to FW-2 level, there are still some nice features missing for FW-1 devices. There are no more comments and responses from manufacturer.
I would really like to see this kind of device to be continued and would be interested whether there are any news or anything, also I am still waiting for the important quick zoom level features introduced with latest firmware only for FW-2 devices.
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your post. We are working on releasing a new firmware update for FW-2. We also appreciate any feedback you might have in regards to future updates.

In order to update to FW-2, the unit will have to be sent back to Trail Tech. Please contact us for a return authorization number.

360-687-4530
Garridan
Garridan@trailtech.net
garridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #227
OLCruiserhead
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Basically, no.
You can download tracks to it which show the roads but you have to do it manually.
Hmmm that sounds like a no-go then. Displaying a map is pretty much the most basic GPS functionality after giving your coordinates. I can see how for trail riders tracks/routes may suffice, but for the adventure rider, the main usefulness of a GPS is to see yourself on a little map on your screen in whatever far-off and unfamiliar place you have managed to get to. It's things like judging whether I have enough fuel to get to the next town, and on-the-fly route planning that make GPS an asset for me. I guess I'll just stick to my trusty old Vista CX for now, as much of a pain as it is to use while riding.

Too bad the people who make this can't get together with Garmin and make the perfect product. Garmin's GPS are great, but nothing that integrates with my bike. This could be SO awesome, it's so close!
OLCruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #228
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLCruiserhead View Post
Hmmm that sounds like a no-go then. Displaying a map is pretty much the most basic GPS functionality after giving your coordinates. I can see how for trail riders tracks/routes may suffice, but for the adventure rider, the main usefulness of a GPS is to see yourself on a little map on your screen in whatever far-off and unfamiliar place you have managed to get to. It's things like judging whether I have enough fuel to get to the next town, and on-the-fly route planning that make GPS an asset for me. I guess I'll just stick to my trusty old Vista CX for now, as much of a pain as it is to use while riding.

Too bad the people who make this can't get together with Garmin and make the perfect product. Garmin's GPS are great, but nothing that integrates with my bike. This could be SO awesome, it's so close!
The Voyager is not an autorouting device. You should use some other device for this.
The Voyager is a fixed-mount motorcycle display capable of replacing stock gauge or installed additionally with everything you need at a motorcycle display. Also it is capable of recording GPS tracks and displaying them. And it can do direct waypoint routing.
This is a perfect feature when riding along with other enduro riders, also when you do not like to get lost somewhere, but want to find your way back anytime.
And it does a little data recording by storing speed, tach value, temperature and engine temperature inside the resulting GPX files for later analysis if appropriate. Would make it interesting even for closed track riders.
And finally it has got an adjustable tripmaster. Unfortunately no remote control for it.

This does not compare to a garmin routing device or whatever and will not replace it. On the other hand, you will not be capable of recording engine data at your Garmin, will you. The Voyager much better connects to your bike. Just think of the easyness of connecting it to vehicle power. This is a no-brain procedure.

If only the tach values would display correctly. For me these values are ok as an indicator for engine running, but values are random, allthough I finally connected it to ignition coil input wire directly instead of winding it around coil. no matter, whatever I tried, I did not work out for me.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #229
Mopowa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I have a request for a future update to the Voyager. When planning my route on my PC, I name the waypoints to help me find them, then while riding, the only time I see that name is when going to the next waypoint. Is there a way to display the name of the waypoint on the NAV screen?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #230
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
i just bought one of theese trail tech voyagers and it should be arriving in the mail shortly!!!!!!!!!!!!

im going to drink some beers and hook it all up this evening with pictures of the whole process. wish me luck!

is anyone interested in seeing this happen? or am i wasteing my time documenting the process and making a full reveiw?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #231
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbi69 View Post
i just bought one of theese trail tech voyagers and it should be arriving in the mail shortly!!!!!!!!!!!!

im going to drink some beers and hook it all up this evening with pictures of the whole process. wish me luck!

is anyone interested in seeing this happen? or am i wasteing my time documenting the process and making a full reveiw?
I am very interested in the way you connect the tach sensor. And also, whether your values are spot on or random as like mine.

My Voyager currently is on its long way back to the US to get a major firmware upgrade from FW1 to FW2. Thanks to Garridan for this! I am looking forward to getting it back with the current firmware and some very nice features I was missing a lot.

Phil
Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #232
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer

Trail Tech Voyager

ok so i jsut got my trail tech voyager in the mail today, but it is too late to do anything tonight.

i was able to take a few pics of the package and contents.

also the package states that it doesnt come with a wheel sensor for the speedometer, but it infact does.

also the battery came allready charged :) thats a nice little touch.

overall it feels verysolid and well built and the screen has a very sharp picture!

so tomoro after work ima get to taking my bikes dash apart and mounting this thing! wish me luck!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #233
OLCruiserhead
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Okay, Voyager is pretty cool even if it does lack mapping features. But then I came across this:
http://www.reconinstruments.com/products/mod
and asked myself wtf snowboarders get that and there is nothing like that for motorcyclists?? I would buy one of these right now if it only displayed rpm and wheel speed and fit in my helmet (it actually might anyway). Trailtech seriously needs to talk to these guys...!
OLCruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #234
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer

This is an amazing little device!!!!

i just went for a 30 mile ride, and got home and uploaded the GPX file from the micro sd card unto my computer (also voyager comes with a microsd card to usb thumb drive)

i dragged and dropped it right onto google earth, and WOW the GPS accuracy is UNBELIEVABLE.
its accurate to within 12 inches ide say, maybe 6 inches. its really amazing. on the screen on voyager it looked pretty accurate, but once loaded into google earth its just unbelievable!

there are only two problems im having at the moment

1. the tachometer isnt reading correctly, but i think i know why.the instructions say to wrap the inductive sensor wire around the sparkplug wire 5 times, well i wrapped it around 7 or 8, ( to avoid cutting any wire jsut yet) and it look like it has doubled my actual RPM's. I will adjust the wire length/number of wraps soon and report back if it fixes it or not.

2. i live on the beach, and the altitude here doesnt change more than about 10 feet , and i am about 5 feet above sea level. but voyager is reading -12 feet, or up to 20 feet above sea level, onetime it even spiked down to like -40 feet.

im not sure why its doing this yet, im assuming it gets altitude from gps, which doesnt seem like the most accurate way, but ide rather that than have to set my altimeter to the current barometric pressure every time i want to go ride. its not a big deal but it would be alot cooler if it was accurate.

overall the installation was pretty simple, the speed sensor seems to be working great, as well as the temperature sensor. the hardest part was removing my brake caliper and drilling it to mount the speed sensor. but it was still easy.

the sensor replaces one of the copper gaskets for the oil line to the head

here is the magnet inplace ont he brake caliper, , i know the clip is on the rotor int he place the brakepad will make contact but i moved it :) also i am going to superglue the crap out of it, although it was a very tight fit, i dont think it will ever come out

:) i think its time for some new handlebars , or at least some fresh paint
Old 04-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #235
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
I don't have one of these but I'm sure the rpm reading double thing is a setting on the unit itself.
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #236
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post
I don't have one of these but I'm sure the rpm reading double thing is a setting on the unit itself.
I have a VAPOR and I vaguely remember a setting for the number of pulses per revolution. [Just looked it up it is programmed pulses per revolution on the VAPOR. Options are 0.5, 1 or 2. Recommended is 1] The OP's unit should have something similar.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #237
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer

i love this thing, i found a huge network of trails right across the street from my house that i never knew exhisted!

and i can spend hours exploreing it and never have to worry about getting lost. this gps is so cool.

i havent tryed messing with any of the settings for the tach yet, i dont really need it anyways.

and the altitude is still off by +/- 30 feet.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #238
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
It's not described in the manual, but you can choose Tach OR Tach/2.
Use Tach for a standard four stroke (spark every other revolution).
Use Tach/2 for a "wasted spark" four stroke or two stroke (spark every revolution).
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #239
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer

i set it to tach /2 and it is idling at 750 rpm, seems right, what is redline for the XR600R? (1994) about 8000 ?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:43 AM   #240
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

I sent my Voyager back to Trail-Tech for firmware upgrade (international shipping!) and received a brandnew item without any cost it seems.

Garridan, thanks a lot for this great service! I am extremely curious about new tech features I received with this new device!
Will now go to garage and install... :)

Update: with the 2.06.02 firmware I just installed there are lots of nice new features and improvements that are extremely useful. I love the dual map stuff, where I can switch between detail map with labels and overview map without labels. Great! Also the zoom/pan controls have been optimized. You no longer need to do lots of button presses just to zoom into the map. Perfectly done! This feature is a 100% reason for moving from FW1 to FW2.

But there is more. The voyager now offers a vehicle sensors tab where you can adjust several things for the sensors installed. The whole menu structure was optimized and is way better compared to my previous 1.08.06 firmware. The tach sensor which used to give random values, no matter what I tried, has got a sensitivity setting now, which I will set to low. Then, I will need to go through the whole installation procedure winding it around ignition coil with just 3 loops. This did not work with the previous FW, but lets try it now! At the moment it is hardwired to the orange iginition cable which still gives random values, but maybe this signal is too strong.

And there are much more settings that were improved or added, and I really like what I got. I definitely appreciate the track autosplit settings: no longer get straight lines across your track spiderweb when forgetting to switch to a new track segment before switching on the logging.

Super: quick toggle for logging, no longer need to go into submenü.

Better track management

The Voyager will now import GPX files directly from Garmin Oregon! Great thing! Previously I had to manually shorten the GPX XML headers generated by Garmin.

All in all an excellent job, looking forward to my next rides with the voyager. I really like this device!

UPDATE:
Download Voyager sample track
View sample track at Google maps
Note the tach values from the sample track are not realistic. Everything else is a pleasure to use.

flatboarder screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 09:46 AM Reason: gathering initial experience with new firmware, more details added, deprecated links removed