ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #256
garridan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Voyager Tach Bar Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_in_TX View Post
garridan, I see you have this service notice on your web site, does this mean that all new Voyager's come with the tach bars?

http://gallery.trailtech.net/media/i...10-ELV-129.pdf
Any 2.x firmware can be upgraded to the new 2.07.04 firmware. In the newest release the tach bar can be visible as one of the main screens. Any new units will come with this firmware pre-loaded.

If someone if having trouble with the tach bar after upgrading the firmware, please contact us directly.

Garridan
Trail Tech
360-687-4530
garridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #257
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
That new tachbar main screen is supernice. Wow. Great.
Phil

flatboarder screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 01:11 PM
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #258
samaki
Hakuna Matatizo

Oddometer: 25
Great Customer Service From TrailTech!

I recently broke the joy stick off of my Voyager so I sent it in to TrailTech for repair. I sent in an 18 month old trail worn unit and got back the same unit 10 days later looking brand new. Not only did they fix the broken joy stick, they also replaced the screen and all the control pads so it looks like it did the day I bought it. Thanks TrailTech!
samaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #259
samaki
Hakuna Matatizo

Not going to break another joystick

I knew I needed a guard of some sort on the front of my Voyager but did not want to spend the $90 to buy one of those fancy ones, though they look great. Instead I made one out of .050 aluminum and mounted it with my previous garage fabbed .050 aluminum mount. Hopefully I will not break off another joystick.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #260
garridan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaki View Post
I knew I needed a guard of some sort on the front of my Voyager but did not want to spend the $90 to buy one of those fancy ones, though they look great. Instead I made one out of .050 aluminum and mounted it with my previous garage fabbed .050 aluminum mount. Hopefully I will not break off another joystick.

Looks great to me and does the job of protecting Voyager.

Garridan
garridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #261
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by garridan View Post
Looks great to me and does the job of protecting Voyager.

Garridan
It might not hurt to slit some windshield washer hose and glue it to the edge of the aluminum to soften any contact.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #262
Adventure Addict
Doin it in the dirt

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtech View Post
Tach reading should be fast, accurate and stable. If you have tach reading problems, contact us and we will get your unit back in for update. contact chris@trailtech.net or just give us a call and ask for tech support.
Mine isn't even close to accurate or stable. In fact, it exhibits a behavior that I did not see anyone else in this thread mention... even if the engine is NOT running, the tach is still registering some RPMs. Will not go to zero unless the ignition is turned off.

In other words, if you stop the engine with the kill button or by dropping the clutch, the Voyager thinks it is still running.

Quite annoying since it defeats the "engine running detection" feature of the Voyager...

This is on a Yamaha WR450 with the stock on/off push button for the ignition and the Voyager tach wire wrapped around the coil.

Adventure Addict screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 10:36 PM Reason: !!
Adventure Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #263
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Addict View Post
Mine isn't even close to accurate or stable. In fact, it exhibits a behavior that I did not see anyone else in this thread mention... even if the engine is NOT running, the tach is still registering some RPMs. Will not go to zero unless the ignition is turned off.

In other words, if you stop the engine with the kill button or by dropping the clutch, the Voyager thinks it is still running.

Quite annoying since it defeats the "engine running detection" feature of the Voyager...

This is on a Yamaha WR450 with the stock on/off push button for the ignition and the Voyager tach wire wrapped around the coil.
The tach feature is extremely sensitive against signal interference. I spent several hours finding an optimal sensor positioning and finally got acurate values _as long as_ I do not connect Voyagers external power supply.
Look here:
http://youtu.be/fpd29gQK45E
(Yamaha WR250R)

My tach bar looks perfect, but when connecting Voyagers power wire to vehicle power (parking light), values get garbled all over.
Next stage of experimenting is putting in some signal flattening capacity (used for car audio) to get rid of those unwanted peaks.
Previously I tried one more experiment: when connecting the tach sensor wire directly to the orange wire of ignition coil, the signal is way too strong: in this case (without external power connected) the Voyager displayed a riding speed of 100 km/h in my garage as soon as the engine was running. Woah. Connecting external power on the other hand fixed this and set riding speed to 0.

However, as Trail Tech describes, I found the optimal sensor wire positioning after lengthy experiments: a low number of loops around upper part of integrated ignition coil. Cable routing without interfering with other cables as much as possible. Now lets solve that external power issue. I want to fix that now, because I really like that tach bar.

Regards, Phil
Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #264
samaki
Hakuna Matatizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
It might not hurt to slit some windshield washer hose and glue it to the edge of the aluminum to soften any contact.
Good point. I have followed that advice just on the off chance that I might crash.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #265
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Voyager tach bar with WR250R and clean signal

Yoyager with WR250R and external power supply now working cleanly!
Videolink (Picasa):

This is the trick I used (clickable images):

That little black circuit is very cheap and is available at every car audio shop or whatever.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #266
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaki View Post
Good point. I have followed that advice just on the off chance that I might crash.
For me it's "when" not "if".
Old 10-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #267
Adventure Addict
Doin it in the dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
Yoyager with WR250R and external power supply now working cleanly!
Videolink (Picasa):

This is the trick I used (clickable images):

That little black circuit is very cheap and is available at every car audio shop or whatever.

That looks like a automotive noise filter normally used to keep ignition noise out of the radio. Little more than an electrolytic capacitor in a can. I was also thinking a filter cap would help here but I thought someone had already tried that a few posts back... maybe not...

Major thumbs down to Trailtech for overlooking this simple electronics design feature that should have already been present in the product. Especially a product that is touted as able to be used on a multitude of bikes with wildly varying voltages and power cleanliness. Incoming voltage filtering is just electronics 101...
Old 10-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #268
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Whatever, the Voyager is a great and outstanding device.
I really appreciate it.
Phil
Old 10-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #269
Adventure Addict
Doin it in the dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
Whatever, the Voyager is a great and outstanding device.
I really appreciate it.
Phil
Oh don't get me wrong, I like the Voyager... However, given the target audience it is a bit shocking that "noisy power" which is common on nearly every offroad bike can give the unit fits...

The fix is easy enough though... you can confirm that the filter has reliably solved your issues for the long-term?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #270
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Give me some weeks to confirm. Currently riding my NC700X mostly. But this is the first time my setting looks really good. Up to now values were unusable. Now they seem spot on.
Phil