ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #46
devrodirt
devro

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
Found the answer for topos.

They're copping out on Topos.
That kills it for me. There is times you get into an area exploring and without elevations you don't know if its a bluff, mountain or river over the next ridge.

What did you find out about maps Catfish? The demo pic on post 1 shows no maps. If no TOPO it would at least nice for users to see creeks and roads and other useful landmarks for navigation.

I think this thing is a looser.
Out here where you can breathe. Lyle Lovett
devrodirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #47
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by devrodirt
What did you find out about maps Catfish? The demo pic on post 1 shows no maps. If no TOPO it would at least nice for users to see creeks and roads and other useful landmarks for navigation.

I think this thing is a looser.
I posted t he link where I found the no topos.
Not alot of information out t here yet.
I bet they won't be forth coming with information about the
map format either. I don't really need color, but not having access
to topo/landmarks/waterways makes it useful for only tracking
where you've been imo.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish screwed with this post 10-28-2010 at 01:41 PM
Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #48
Trailtech
n00b

Oddometer: 7
devrodirt,

I am offended but I will restrain from being rude. I have been running Voyager for 1 year now. FWIW, I am ok with quads but do not ride one. Below is a picture of me last week with Voyager in some final testing. In testing, next to Voyager sits a Garmin 60csx. Yes, the 60csx has topo capability. It is accurate in the below picture where I am dropping into a river bottom on on a trail bed that has not been ridden in nearly a decade? - no, not even close, the Topo had the trail about 500ft off the actual trail. Not just over the cliff but on the other side where the cliff came back up. In a perfect world, the topos would be great but they need to be accurate. Should we have just copied what everyone else did and run the topo's available on the open market? -Maybe but we focused on what we could do better than everyone else on our first GPS unit.

8x the memory depth
Monochrome LCD with higher resolution and more than 2x the contrast resulting in a display that is so much more readable, anyone who actually sees one prefers it to a color 60csx (side by side testing)
plugs direct into the bikes wire harness for power without concern of voltage or polarity.
turns itself on/off by knowing what the bike is doing.
File transfer that does not require removing the unit from the bike.
permanent and accurate odometer
Motorcycle specific mounts that put the unit out of the way of harm and/or injury to the rider included in the box
The list goes on..

I am happy to have our employees discussing our products with actual users. It helps us learn what the customers want and deliver. We are at the core a motorcycle company.

When the comments turn to bashing us and ATV's (who we have to share our hobby with), then the productivity is gone. If you want to bash someone, your energy would be better put into bashing those trying to close our sport.

We will never be able to make everyone happy. We are comfortable that we make original products that perform where prior options fall short.

If you want to ride some highly technical trails where an accurate GPS is a must, I would be happy to take you for a ride. You will see first hand what Voyager does and why we did it this way. We are open to contructive critisim and the Topo comments are well noted. It would be best served if your comments were after you actually saw Voyager in action.

Geoff Wotton - Trail Tech R&D geoff@trailtech.net

Trailtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #49
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,513
Personally, I'll reserve judgement until I try one or at least get a chance to play with one.

Looks like an interesting platform to me; thanks for the information.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #50
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtech
We will never be able to make everyone happy. We are comfortable that we make original products that perform where prior options fall short.
You nailed it right here. You can never make everyone happy. It also breaks down to the 80:20 rule... 20% of the people out there will give 80% of the negative BS attitudes, 20% of your customers will be 80% of your "thorn in the side" problem users, etc... Don't worry too much about one doofus being an Internet Tough Guy and complaining about something that they are Armchair Designing.

Most buyers will be like me... silent until we get first-hand experience. If that experience is dismal, then there will be vocal complaints. If it's outstanding, there will be vocal praise. If it fits in the middle (works, but has things that are mildly annoying/lacking), then nothing much will be said one way or another. I really like the Idea (and have not used a GPS before, other than borrowing a 60csx then stuffing it in a bag after wasting an hour trying to get it to do Anything along the lines of routing ~ and that was on a street ride),

I also appreciate that there's some input filtering into the forums ~ I absolutely LOVE it when a company goes out to at least gather info from the end user base. Attention to comments from the end user is the best way to broaden the appeal of your stuff... but we've got to have the gear first, before any of that useful stuff can be written.

Carry on... I don't see ANY other devices out there that come close to combing what the Voyager does.
Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #51
devrodirt
devro

I use Trail Tech Vapor on my DRZ because it needs a speedo to be street legal. It's a good tool that's for sure.....when it's working.
In three years I'm on my third; One I junked, the second TrailTech said they would fix, then sent me a bill for $100. Now this "repaired" unit is acting up, it farts and all digits, lights ect come on, then it shuts down then it clears back to zero.

So why whould I want EVERYTHING I need in instrumentation in one unit? One fart and all is lost.

I wasn't bashing you, was just trying to get the truth about the thing, and no one is ever going to get the truth from the manufacturer, sorry.

Send Catfish a unit to use and report on. It needs real word testing away from the techs who can fix it on the trail.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #52
devrodirt
devro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-M
You nailed it right here. You can never make everyone happy. It also breaks down to the 80:20 rule... 20% of the people out there will give 80% of the negative BS attitudes, 20% of your customers will be 80% of your "thorn in the side" problem users, etc... Don't worry too much about one doofus being an Internet Tough Guy and complaining about something that they are Armchair Designing.

Most buyers will be like me... silent until we get first-hand experience. If that experience is dismal, then there will be vocal complaints. If it's outstanding, there will be vocal praise. If it fits in the middle (works, but has things that are mildly annoying/lacking), then nothing much will be said one way or another. I really like the Idea (and have not used a GPS before, other than borrowing a 60csx then stuffing it in a bag after wasting an hour trying to get it to do Anything along the lines of routing ~ and that was on a street ride),

I also appreciate that there's some input filtering into the forums ~ I absolutely LOVE it when a company goes out to at least gather info from the end user base. Attention to comments from the end user is the best way to broaden the appeal of your stuff... but we've got to have the gear first, before any of that useful stuff can be written.

Carry on... I don't see ANY other devices out there that come close to combing what the Voyager does.
You call me a doofus and can not even operate a simple 60CSx?????
Gimme a break and get a Tom Tom from Walmart.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #53
garridan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by devrodirt
I use Trail Tech Vapor on my DRZ because it needs a speedo to be street legal. It's a good tool that's for sure.....when it's working.
In three years I'm on my third; One I junked, the second TrailTech said they would fix, then sent me a bill for $100. Now this "repaired" unit is acting up, it farts and all digits, lights ect come on, then it shuts down then it clears back to zero.

Send Catfish a unit to use and report on. It needs real word testing away from the techs who can fix it on the trail.
Hey Catfish,

From our history I think you might have purchased the Vector unit. It sounds like your unit is still okay. Try changing the battery, cleaning the contacts and double checking the power from the vehicle. It sounds like you do a lot of riding and it isn't uncommon for the battery to be need changing after a couple years.

Let me know how it works out.

Garridan
garridan@trailtech.net
360-687-4530
garridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #54
devrodirt
devro

Quote:
Originally Posted by garridan
Hey Catfish,

From our history I think you might have purchased the Vector unit. It sounds like your unit is still okay. Try changing the battery, cleaning the contacts and double checking the power from the vehicle. It sounds like you do a lot of riding and it isn't uncommon for the battery to be need changing after a couple years.

Garridan
garridan@trailtech.net
360-687-4530
I'm not Catfish (he's the local GPS GURU), I'm devro.
I've checked all connections but have not changed the battery. I will do that and hopefully that will solve the problem.
Thanks.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #55
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Trailtech,
I've known devrodirt for several years.
He was not disrespecting ATV'ers but he had a valid point.
We ride areas where the trails do not exist on any printed map.
The only way to know where the next trail is by landmarks on your topo maps on the gps or riding the trail before.
I have found lots of information on these trails from the Forest Department in the form of ESRI shapefiles. It has over 40,000 of these shapesfiles on the db so I use those to generate my own maps for the GPS to overlay the topo maps. These custom maps on my Ifinder actually came in handy when they had logged an area in the Forest and the track we wanted was almost just a memory.

Mountains rarely change elevations and creeks and rivers will move a foot or two but not not 100's of feet. So these things are the important part of the mapping ability in the GPS. No one is asking for everytrail to be in the GPS. There is lots of those same trails that Devrodirt and I ride that we prefer not be on a GPS because its keeps them pristine from those that have no respect for the areas they ride.

So maybe you can see why the contour lines and streams/creeks and rivers are important to us.

One of the biggest disappoints I bought a Bushnell Onix, wonderful color screen, but it lacked any county roads and forget any forest roads. It became instantly useless unless we it was for saving a track log.

I like the idea the GPS/Speedo in one as an integral part of the bike so it doesn't get stolen when parked. But It does need to be a full featured product and the tools we need.

Have a great day nice start for the product, in the future if it is upgraded to be a useful item for my bike I'll gladly buy one.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #56
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by garridan
Hey Catfish,

Garridan
garridan@trailtech.net
360-687-4530
I'm the one he is referring to as Catfish

Old 10-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #57
garridan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
I'm the one he is referring to as Catfish
Whoops!
garridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #58
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Personally, I'll reserve judgement until I try one or at least get a chance to play with one.

Looks like an interesting platform to me; thanks for the information.

I have a 60CSx, but am not really a GPS guy. I load it full of tracks when in unfamiliar or badly mapped areas like Baja or mainland Mexico, so I have something to follow if I need it. Otherwise, I am a paper map guy at heart.

I think this is a great start, they'll only get better and more capable.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #59
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
I love it when a manufacurer gets onto this place.

Dunno about the US riding and planning, but I do realise that servicing the local market is plan 1 in any business plan. But in Oz Garmin maps seem to be most popular. More of a thing about finding a way around a locked gate or an unpassible track even though your came through it a few years ago. Dunno if you guys have lantana there.

So personally I'm a bit dissapointed that the brilliant idea of merging a dash with a GPS (the holy grail of bike info really) doesn't provided this. Unless I'm mistaken and there is a way of creating a map of some kind.

ps: now I've got the oppurtunity, why not provide a volt meter with all your computers?

tmotten screwed with this post 10-28-2010 at 10:52 PM
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #60
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
I am IN for this, and if the "introductory" price of $280 holds out for a couple of months I AM going to buy one for my ADV build.

I'm going to link some stuff from the Trail tech site, then I have a couple questions.

Comparison chart of features for all the "computers":
http://www.trailtech.net/computer_comparison.html

The FAQ:
http://www.trailtech.net/voyager_faq.html

And now some questions.

From the faq:

"You can find up-to-date trail information at Trail Tech’s OHV map website: www.OHVtrails.net. There you can plan your rides by overlaying a library of OHV trails and roads on top of detailed topographical maps and satellite images courtesy of Google Earth™. Create your own custom trail collection and upload it to your Voyager GPS dashboard. While OHVtrails.net currently covers only North America, it is being actively developed for other parts of the world. OHVtrails.net is provided free of charge for all to use."

What does this mean?
Can you make a topo or composite map using this process and then load it on your Voyager. Then see a topo or sat map with the track on it, or does it only look like the picture and you just have to remember what you saw while overlaid on your computer?

(Image of map display: http://trailtech.net/media/computers...ager_w1000.jpg)

Does it have a Backlight or someway to read it at night and what color?
(if not, I can't use it 30% of the time. my ADV bike will also be my daily commuter. lol)
Edit: it has a LED backlight.

Can you customize your display to show, GPS screen WITH speed, ODO, trip, tach, volt, temp all at the same time?
If not, what choices do you have from your dash board while in GPS mode?

Do you have a picture of this kind of screen in use?

Do you have any protectors/dash light kits yet?

What kind of water/dust protection rating does it have, (IPX-4/IPX-7)?

Will you be able to use the Vector Remote Switch with it in any way or function?

Personally, I might like to have Topo and it might be nice to have road maps on it.
But when I am on the road I will likely just have my Garmin 750 mounted also. and I could have topo on it too, then just have it "Follow" me while I use the Voyager for the track/route I am actually on.
I wouldn't want to travel on a GPS required ride without a backup GPS anyway. like a 60csx or the like.

I really appreciate the effort your company has put in to make this product and you taking the time to come here and tell us about it.

Thank you.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike

mpanther screwed with this post 10-29-2010 at 12:36 AM
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote