User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
kanur OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Scored a Classic Today

SARACEN I've only saw a couple of these before and have no idea how many were made.

I friend sent me a link to it on ebay knowing I'm a fan of the british kit bikes. When I realized I knew the seller I gave him a call and made a trade offer to him if it did not bring his reserve.

Well... it did not sell and we made a trade

If anyone knows the history of the Saracen bikes I would love to hear about it.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,620
Nice score!
brewtus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 12,651
Nice looking bike there kanur..
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,271
Looks good. That's a name I haven't heard of but seems to be a pretty good find. Nice shape. Sachs motor and looks like Ceriani forks. Rickman hubs?
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
That looks like a nice find.
I haven't seen or heard anything about Saracen bikes since probably the mid 1970's.

There are references to and photos of Saracens in Carl Shipmans 1973 book "How to ride Observed Trials just for fun!" His daughter had one. He was based in New Mexico then so I guess that there were a few kicking around that area at the time.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanur
SARACEN I've only saw a couple of these before and have no idea how many were made.
Fun! AHRMA classic class legal.

"Classic: British kit-framed two-stroke machines up to model year 1974 with 175cc or smaller OEM engine, and Spanish 4-speeds to 250cc in original OEM frame."

Good bike. Great class.

darmst6829 screwed with this post 12-14-2010 at 10:03 PM
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
kanur OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Thanks Guys.

roadholder I am not sure what the forks are. The triple tree seems to be a Puch item the same as on a Dalesman trials bike I have.The hubs are R.E.H. the same as on a Penton/Wassell.

K1W1 I have the Carl Shipman book and was scouring through it when I found out about this bike.

darmst6829 I agree the AHRMA Classic class is a lot of fun. I have rode a lot of trials in it on my Penton/Wassell. I did like the class better before AHRMA changed the rules about the lines the bikes use. It used to be Novice rode 3, Intermediate rode 2, and expert rode 1.

Is that your model #10? A friend of mine has one and in 2001 we were on a points chase in Classic class, with him riding the 3 line and me the 2 line. We each won our class and I even got a picture of me on my Penton on the cover of December 2001 Vintage Views.

I have gotten away from vintage trials but this bike has peaked my interest. There is a local trial next week I think I may ride it in, the bike runs and works great.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
I would expect the forks to be REH also, your bike looks very original.
If you can find a copy of Classic British Two Stroke Trials Bikes by Don Morley, it has avery good chapter on the Saracens, including a photo of a bike like yours being ridden by factory rider Jack Galloway (in white slacks).
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,539
Beautiful bike!

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
If I remember correctly the trials segment of On Any Sunday shows a rider on a Saracen.
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,105
Yes, but does that 21 speed Sachs gearbox allow it to be legal for classic?
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Thanks Guys.

roadholder I am not sure what the forks are. The triple tree seems to be a Puch item the same as on a Dalesman trials bike I have.The hubs are R.E.H. the same as on a Penton/Wassell.

K1W1 I have the Carl Shipman book and was scouring through it when I found out about this bike.

darmst6829 I agree the AHRMA Classic class is a lot of fun. I have rode a lot of trials in it on my Penton/Wassell. I did like the class better before AHRMA changed the rules about the lines the bikes use. It used to be Novice rode 3, Intermediate rode 2, and expert rode 1.

Is that your model #10? A friend of mine has one and in 2001 we were on a points chase in Classic class, with him riding the 3 line and me the 2 line. We each won our class and I even got a picture of me on my Penton on the cover of December 2001 Vintage Views.

I have gotten away from vintage trials but this bike has peaked my interest. There is a local trial next week I think I may ride it in, the bike runs and works great.
Hi kanur,

Its a 4 speed Matador bitsa. I wish it was a model 10!

Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #13
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,620
Quote:
Great book. Written about NMTA's early days. Some of the competitors in the book are still competing today!
brewtus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #14
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Thanks Guys.

Don't forget that a lot of the technology in things like Puchs / Sachs and Pentons has all morphed into what is now KTM. many of those companies were very inter related.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a book shelf of 1970's Trials and Motorcycle books. I also have Carl Shipmans trail bike book as well as plenty of others.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
dhubbard422
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
There was a similar request on Trials Central...

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/...-1968-saracen/

Hi,
....the Saracen would undoubtably have had an 18" rear wheel.
have a look at the the 1980 and 84 bikes I have put on the TC Garage forum under my profile. I have the older one rebuilt now, but suffereing a clutch problem, and the later one is just about ready to be reassembled.

If you can get hold of a book called "Motorcycle Competition" edited by Deryk Wylde and published by Ariel Publishing (fax 0159 7870652) there is a 14 page article on the "Saracen Story" with a couple of good photo's of the early iron barreled bikes. Ironically it was a mix up on specification of iron / alloy barrels on a shipment to the USA importer that eventually took the company down.

The book I mention above also has a full colour front cover showing the 1971 Scottish Saracen team of Jack Galloway, Steve Wilson and Jon Bliss with their bikes.

Andy
dhubbard422 is offline   Reply With Quote