User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
m6scout1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Point and Shoot Camera

Hey Guys, I'm looking for a small point and shoot to use as a secondary camera for trips. Something small that I can attach to a retractable lanyard and let hang on my jacket for on the move shots. I would like a rugged camera since it's going to see a lot of shock, and dust. The only experience I have with point and shoots are the collapsible lens type and haven't really seen the image quality of the internal lens cameras. My main camera is a Sony Alpha 330 so I don't need a camera with a large zoom on it. Looking to spend under $200 if i can.
1981 Honda CB750C

m6scout1 screwed with this post 03-04-2015 at 07:23 PM
m6scout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,616
I use a phone camera and a DSLR...."point and shoot" means something entirely different here...
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
m6scout1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hmmm. I guess I forgot to add camera in the thread title.
1981 Honda CB750C
Old 03-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
Justwantoride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Many good used cameras on ebay. Can get a very nice one for under $100.
Justwantoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:03 PM   #5
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Any of the major brands ruggedised cameras are ideal. They can take a beating, are waterproof and generally have larger controls which makes them more glove friendly. Many have wifi to transfer images to a phone or tablet and a lot have GPS built in so they can geotag images so you know where you took the photo later on. If you are happy with last weeks model they are usually available fairly heavily discounted in many shops on line or in store.
K1W1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
ausrally
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I've carried a Nikon AW100 for a couple of years, compact and rugged. Pictures are quite good. Has GPS, waterproof, Dustproof
ausrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:57 PM   #7
GPHusky250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Panasonic

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html

I've been buying and purchasing cameras way back into the 60s and have a sickness when it comes to the next best thing. I currently run 5d MK11s and 7Ds but for offroading with accompanying lenses they just weigh too much.

Picked up a Sony RX100iii...great camera, full featured but just too delicate to beat around on a ride.

I've been looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT5 for a couple of reasons..

Full HD
Shockproof/Freezeproof/Dustproof
Image Stabilization
Built in GPS

And some other more technical reason.

Great little camera...not cheap...about $265....but you could certainly hang it around your neck and not worry too much about hurting it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:33 PM   #8
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,856
I like my Sony Cybershot - a capable camera with a solid cover that also acts as the on/off switch - real easy to use with gloves on. It's slim enough to fit inside the jacket and has a flush profile - no lens sticking out - which makes it easy to store and also to pull out on the aforementioned lanyard as it doesn't snag on anything.

The only bugbear that I have with it is the proprietary data lead and requirement for an external charger - but maybe they've switched that out now for a standard USB.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #9
sngltrc
Mind

Oddometer: 53
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5

I have been using the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 on my rides for the past year or so. It is light, rugged, waterproof, and takes pretty good photos and videos. The battery life seems OK and it is small enough to fit in my pocket comfortably. I paid $235, however, I believe it has been replaced with a new model by Panasonic.

Here is a link to some pics I took with it on the White Rim in Utah a few weeks ago -

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=22595
sngltrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:55 AM   #10
m6scout1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the Panasonic DMC-TS5/DMC-FT5 or the Nikon AW-120 will be on my to get list. I'll have to take a closer look when I get off work but I think I'm leaning towards the Panasonic.
1981 Honda CB750C
Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 455
When shooting with the left hand your fingers often get in front of the lens on most cameras with the optics inside. A central lens reduces that risk. If your camera is both tough and waterproof, you can also use it if you're afraid to use your primary lens, e.g. in rain, sand, dust, when moving ...

I use mine in bad conditions at work and for years I've sticked to Olympus models with a sliding lens cap, but now have the problem that none ever broke, so my only excuse for a new one would be the fading color on the mode selection wheel. Now I've gone for an unprotected lens and hope that it will be scratched up once I long for a new camera.

There are some similar threads, e.g. here and there.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #12
m6scout1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip_muenster View Post
When shooting with the left hand your fingers often get in front of the lens on most cameras with the optics inside. A central lens reduces that risk. If your camera is both tough and waterproof, you can also use it if you're afraid to use your primary lens, e.g. in rain, sand, dust, when moving ...

I use mine in bad conditions at work and for years I've sticked to Olympus models with a sliding lens cap, but now have the problem that none ever broke, so my only excuse for a new one would be the fading color on the mode selection wheel. Now I've gone for an unprotected lens and hope that it will be scratched up once I long for a new camera.

There are some similar threads, e.g. here and there.

I've done quite a bit of picture taking while on the move with the DSLR but I'm not fond of keeping it out while I'm riding. It's large, was pretty expensive and starts to feel like a ton of bricks around your neck after a while. Also with how my Tenere is shaped the camera will hit the tank if I have it slung around my neck. Never had that issue on the CB750 though.

The last point and shoot camera I had was a Sony DSC-W1 which I have since lost somewhere after purchasing my DSLR. Now that I'm doing a lot more bike trips I want to have a camera that can take a beating and I wont have to worry about putting away if it starts to rain. From what I have seen there are very few rugged cameras with the centralized lens, the ones that do seem to quite a bit more expensive. I guess I'll have to learn the best way to hold one of these to keep my fingers out of view. The DSLR will be the camera of choice when I make a pit stop, though. It has a nice cozy spot in the tank bag during every trip.
1981 Honda CB750C
Old 03-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #13
dravnx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Love my Nikon AW120. Good color, easy to use, rugged and technologically very advanced. GPS, compass, Bluetooth to my Iphone so I can upload pictures for posting and I use the phone as a remote shutter.
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #14
pip_muenster
curious

Oddometer: 455
I didn't mean using another SLR lens, I basically wanted to say the same as you now posted about the reason for a tough camera.
One trick against the finger on the lens is to hold the camera upside down, BTW.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #15
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6scout1 View Post
Panasonic DMC-TS5/DMC-FT5 or the Nikon AW-120 will be on my to get list.
DP Reviews tested one of those as part of the '13 group comparison and another as part of '14. Their site lets you compare image quality side-by-side, but you'll have to compare the AW110 to the TS5 and the AW120 to three non-Panasonic cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2013-waterproof-roundup

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/249...camera-roundup