Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2014, 02:02 AM   #1
Kotei OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Olympia MotoQuest vs Revit sand2

Your opinion about these jackets.
if You use these jackets
it will be interesting to hear about their advantages and disadvantages.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,438
Sand reviews here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859944

I have the Oly XMoto which is predecessor to the Motoquest.
Good sturdy jacket and I like all the options for venting in good weather vs buttoning up in bad.

Like the newer rain liner/overcoat option,don't like soggy heavy jackets.
I carry a BMW gortex rain jacket(no longer made)for extended trips and use my Olympia liner for shorter trips.The Olympia liner has done a great job keeping me dry in pretty nasty weather.
The Motoquest would allow a single rain jacket to use either way.

The armor is good,not uncomfortable and seems to stay in place.(I always wear a Forcefield back protector no matter what jacket I wear)

Build quality is good on both my Oly jackets.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
mistico
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I just received Motoquest jacket and pants. They look and feel great, but the stitching on the jacket is pretty bad. You can tell where they left off and started stitching again. I'm not sure how this will affect the seams but I'm calling Olympia tomorrow to see if I received a defective product or if they're all leaving china like this. Pants looks fine.

If I receive a replacement and it looks the same, I'll be going with a Klim badlands set. I like the Olympia better and it's a great price for basically three jackets plus a water bladder, but the finish just looks cheap.
mistico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Rgconner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Crappy stitching like that is going to leak or unravel... or both.

(married to a former theater costume builder/men's talior)
Old 08-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistico View Post
I just received Motoquest jacket and pants. They look and feel great, but the stitching on the jacket is pretty bad. You can tell where they left off and started stitching again. I'm not sure how this will affect the seams but I'm calling Olympia tomorrow to see if I received a defective product or if they're all leaving china like this. Pants looks fine.

If I receive a replacement and it looks the same, I'll be going with a Klim badlands set. I like the Olympia better and it's a great price for basically three jackets plus a water bladder, but the finish just looks cheap.
Any update? I'm still searching for a replacement jacket and having a hard time finding reviews of the Motoquest jacket.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I nearly bought the motoquest jacket today, but decided on Rev'it Defender instead.

I was really set on the motoquest. Liked the look, loved the 2 tone color scheme. Little extras are nice touches. Water bladder, thin hood on rain liner, huge mesh vents zip down, heavier cordura on the impact points.

Couple things kinda turned me off. 2 chest pockets are tiny. Coudnt fit my wallet or a cell in either. Lower front pockets were barely big enough for a cell. One inner pocket on the 2 liners. Most jackets have atleast 2 in each of the liners. Seems like the liners kinda shift around a lot. Prolly because the rain liner is big enough to fit as an overshell as well. Armor is generic, but armor is relatively cheap to upgrade.

Comparing it to the Defender($700 vs $550 retail btw) its bulkier and heavier. No gortex guarantee for life.

These were nit pick things I noticed comparing jackets. And like I said comparing a much more expensive one. But my local shop sold me the Rev it for the same price Id pay for the motoquest.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
do a search and I expect there's a thread somewhere on here where I mentioned my purchasing the jacket. but that was earlier this year and now I have a few more miles on it...

as an actual owner and user of the Motoquest jacket I have to say I like it substantially. currently have about 6k or so miles on it and it's fairing well. only one booboo off road that somehow I didn't rip it up while earning some bruises in the process. (after washing it I was pretty surprised that I couldn't tell I even went down. too bad the bike and the pants didn't fair as well. quite frankly I'm surprised about no tearing of the jackets fabric)

interesting thing about the stitching... on the right back there's an errant stitch that partially impedes the tucking of the outer shell when exposing the vented fabric. it doesn't block the tucking entirely and isn't all that much a big deal, but I'm guessing that's a tell tale of having to use budget seamstress services to keep costs down considering the overall value of the garment. (in relation to price)

on the fact you get a "free" rainsuit...

I have no idea why others don't follow suit. (sic) a waterproof jacket that can be worn under or OVER the jacket. duh. I don't "plan" for rain... it happens. and when it happens I don't want to disrobe to dress for it. pull over... pull out rain gear, put it on OVER the jacket you already have on.

that is total absolute common sense. enough said about that.

air flow...

not bad at all considering it's not a full on summer mesh jacket but a convertible. I have a summer mesh jacket and it does indeed flow better... go figure. for what it is... the Motoquest flows well and you can control the ventilation by zipping the panels. so far I think I've only closed the rear vents on a bit of a chilly night ride somewhere in Montana (or alberta, somewhere up north and high in elevation) other than that, so far just using the front and sleeve vent system has been sufficient and allows to keep perspiration minimal. then again...

warmth...

only owned it a couple seasons but I couldn't see any issue here. none, short of full on mountaineering or artic conditions which I don't believe it was designed for. it does have a nice inner liner jacket that combines as a "camp jacket"

camp jacket...

good deal here. relatively half decent jacket that doesn't look unusual or out of place in general society. not waterproof but does kinda shed some sprinkles. not saying it's going to replace your normal wear street clothing jacket when not riding a bike, but it's pretty worthy to have on a ride when you want to shed the moto look for a bit.

pockets...

idk, not a big pocket person. I carry a regular garage door opener in the lower left front when around town and a personal emergency kit when out and about along with a not so small camera in my lower right front pocket(my phone has a lifeproof case and is mounted in front of me when on the bike and fits fine in a pant pocket when off.) its got the big old pocket in the back that I don't use and most of the time I have used the jacket I USE (meaning I am ready to zip up or down) the vent panels so I don't really try to use the small chest pockets. I DO use the ability to drop my wallet or id pouch down IN the pocket formed by unzipping the vent cover.... you can drop a good sized object in there if desired. so I guess that could make up for a perceived lack of size otherwise.

what else?

look...

I like it. I have the white and when I rock the jacket, it apparently rocks me. (well according to all the compliments I have gotten so far. at least nobody has accused me of looking shabby or like a bum. even the 5.0 has given me a nod I took as approval of some sort ) it just doesn't seem like a look that will be overly dated or ready to be worn out next year so I can continue to rack up the miles.

hopefully the black won't get too sun bleached. 'that' seems to be a true test of longevity for me. it's not leather so I guess I can only expect so much in this area.

protection...

seems ok. the one spill I took was not much of an opportunity for road rash, more rock bash, so... it seems up to par in comparison to the competition. guess chest protection would negate the ventilation so can't expect too much improvement over this jacket in that area.

anything questions in particular?
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks so much for your input, Koolbreeze. One problem I had with the Sand 2 that required taking it off my list is it fit perfect with all liners in, but with them out it was too loose around the arms and elbow armor moved all around. The next size down was too small altogether. My interest in the Motoquest jacket is mainly due to the free rain jacket that I'd wear over the jacket. My concern is it real loose with the liners out, too? I ride about 10 months of the year with just a tshirt under my motorcycle jackets so I'd rather it be snug with the liner in than loose without.
IBA #50489
Old 08-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Well, I went to the local dealer that carries Olympia and tried on the Motoquest jacket. I was pretty impressed with the quality. I did try on one jacket that had some fraying threads, but that was not seen on the other jackets. I tried on an XL which fit perfect with all liners removed. When tried on with both liners inside, I felt like the michelin man. Knowing I'd wear the rain jacket on the outside, I took the rain jacket out and it fit just fine with only the destination jacket inside (not a bad jacket btw). Unfortunately what prevented me from walking out of the store with it is the hook and loop wrist closures kept coming undone when walking around the store with it. I think they're designed poorly. I know they mean well having the rubber pull tabs for easy operation with gloves, but the tabs get hung up and peel the wrist closure open bery easily since the hook and loop is generic and does not stick like Velcro brand.
IBA #50489
Old 08-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #10
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Interesting about the tabs for wrist fastening. I can see how that could be an issue, yet having worn it quite a bit I don't recall having issues with them. Can't say I mess with them much either... Making the occasional adjustment has been the extent. (Usually depending on cuff or no cuff gloves) not to say I have spent all that much time off the bike performing tasks which might offer the ability to snag them... A bit camping, some eating or outdoor time but its been warm so when feasible I'm not wearing it a whole lot off bike yet so time will tell. I will say I understand such a concept though... Having worked occasionally in situations where loose clothing or such is a nono and possible means for mutilation or even death. (Then again perhaps that can make for an individual awareness that minimizes such issues)

The fit... As you noted is better to use rain gear over jacket. (Where it fits fine but with four or more layers of clothing is starting to bulk up.) YET it's not overly "baggy" when just the jacket is worn over a t shirt. Pretty fair compromise with straps to make make a few adjustments.

I'm guessing it isn't perfect... (For everybody and all situations) but it's a pretty darn good overall.

Good luck with this ongoing search... One which we all must persist in!

Old 08-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #11
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

VS. the Sand 2, it fit great without any liners and with the insulated liner was still ok. Honestly, I'm sure I could have a local seamstress sew real Velcro on the wrists and I could cut that rubber tab off, but not sure I want to do that on a $550 jacket. I ride 365 days a year so I'm very picky on my gear.
IBA #50489
Old 08-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
klrnohio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Question

Just wore my motoquest for 3 days on a camping excursionand did a little over 500 miles. Suit did great from 46 to 90 degree temps with t-shirt and gym shorts underneath. No spills to test the durability but liked it a great deal. Love the versitility of it. Comfort was excellant and got several good comments from others. Got a few stares from people wondering about the power ranger walking around the grocery store but can deal with that, Had slight rain and stayed dry even without using the rain gear. Did spray it with 3M water proofing before to help shed dirt / grime. Would recommend it as a good piece of gear.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #13
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
VS. the Sand 2, it fit great without any liners and with the insulated liner was still ok. Honestly, I'm sure I could have a local seamstress sew real Velcro on the wrists and I could cut that rubber tab off, but not sure I want to do that on a $550 jacket. I ride 365 days a year so I'm very picky on my gear.
Understand the 365 deal although I don't at the moment. (Did rack up over 17k last summer during the bmw moa milege contest though even short a month due to broken foot) idk the Velcro seems fine and I use Velcro everyday for other taskings (lol) just doesn't seem inadequate. I do recall early on "something" with the tabs but its not something I notice now and it wasn't enough to stick in my mind after some time and miles. (Might not live in the jacket but its just not catching on shit when I do)

Skipping all that... How does it compare to sand 2? I like various revit products (recently picked up a levante for friend of mine so she would have proper jacket to ride pillion) and sand 2 looks promising but there's just no way "for me" that it could vent comparably to the moto quest as a year round all conditions jacket. Maybe if I lived in Washington OR used it as three season with full on mesh for summer. That might be the ticket for az. San Diego... I can get by with the ventilation of the moto quest until heading to desert in the summer during daytime. Even in full vent mode it doesn't vent lower torso enough to bring me to full satisfaction. (Using wet running shirt to keep cool from evaporative function) while the sand 2 would be even less capable, if used for 3 season with full on vent jacket in the summer...
Old 08-18-2014, 11:38 PM   #14
cba191
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 613
I'm kind of in the same boat, although I am trying to decide between the Motoquest and the Klim Latitude. I'm in Utah, and 90+ temps are the biggest concern for me with the Klim. I decided on my trip to Alaska in July, that separate rain protection is a total pita. But other than long trips, rain is usually avoidable for the most part. But I am still leaning towards the Klim for some stupid reason that I can't figure out.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:32 AM   #15
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm kind of in the same boat, although I am trying to decide between the Motoquest and the Klim Latitude. I'm in Utah, and 90+ temps are the biggest concern for me with the Klim. I decided on my trip to Alaska in July, that separate rain protection is a total pita. But other than long trips, rain is usually avoidable for the most part. But I am still leaning towards the Klim for some stupid reason that I can't figure out.
Riding up to the Dempster in June with Motoport pants made me realize the same thing. In 12 days and 8000mi, we rode through mud, rain, sleet and snow. I hate liners or overpants. I used Frogg Togg pants over the Motoport mesh pants and it was a PITA to put them on and take them off multiple times a day. I ended up buying a pair of BMW Tourshell waterproof/breathable pants to replace them. Throwing on an outer rain jacket wouldn't bother me so much. I used a Latitude Misano jacket on that trip. I had the black Latitude and honestly it hadn't been that bad commuting an hour a day in temps over 100F. I wear LD Comfort sleeves that get soaked in water and I think that helps. Last summer I commuted everyday with a Klim Badlands which is heavier and it was also tolerable.

I think the the wrist tab issue is just in my head. I don't like the idea of them sticking out like that. I guess always having streamlined wrist tabs on other jackets has me wanting that feature. The other nitpicks I had were the metal zipper pulls on the main zipper. I thought they made the jacket look cheap. I intended to replace them with some pulls from Aerostich or home made 550 cord. I wish they were the same pulls as all the other zippers. I wasn't crazy about the neck, either. I prefer the shorter mandarin style collars like the BMW Rallye 3 jacket and the Revit Sand 2 and Motoport Marathon. I do appreciate taller collars in inclement weather, but I've always been able to fold them down in nice weather. The Motoquest collar seemed too stiff to allow this, but that's just my impression when trying it on in the store. I ended up settling on the Latitude Misano again. I hate Klim and I'm not crazy about the Latitude after having owned 4 of them, but it fits great and vents really well since they added the two chest vents. The quality isn't great (sent 3 jackets in for warranty work), but it'll have to do for now.
IBA #50489

Hikertrash screwed with this post 08-19-2014 at 03:42 AM