User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2015, 05:40 AM   #1
SUVslayer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Helmet Thoughts?

I just pulled the trigger on an Arai Defiant, but just as I did it occurred to me I hadn't considered Schuthbert. A quick look shows the German brand is more expensive, but I generally get what I want with helmets. Who's got experience with Schuthbert? Who's got experience with the Defiant?

(for the record, I'm not interested in flip face helmets, so we can compare apples to apples here).
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:57 AM   #2
12bnkd
UP for any Adventure

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVslayer View Post
I just pulled the trigger on an Arai Defiant, but just as I did it occurred to me I hadn't considered Schuthbert. A quick look shows the German brand is more expensive, but I generally get what I want with helmets. Who's got experience with Schuthbert? Who's got experience with the Defiant?

(for the record, I'm not interested in flip face helmets, so we can compare apples to apples here).
I did a lot of research when choosing my helmet. There's a website out there I'll see if I can find it that compares test reports for a number of different helmets. The Gaberg Duke did quite well if not better than most including the BMW helmet and the Schuthbert. I wanted a modular helmet i.e. one that would flip up the chin bar. I've had a number of Roof Boxer helmets and considering the new one, just have not wanted to pull the trigger on the dollars. Sound quality, i.e. quietness, fit weight and feel so far the Duke has served me well.

http://www.designerhelmets.com/shop/...d/caberg/duke/
http://ride.smugmug.com/MotorcycleRides including Alaska Trip
12bnkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,763
Be sure to check out webbikeworld:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Been some talk about Schubert in the equipment forum here, too.

Sarah
Old 02-24-2015, 06:51 AM   #4
ColdForged
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I have had a schuberth s2 for about a year and a half now. The comfort is the reason I purchased it and I liked the larger chin bar on it. The only issues I have run into is that sometimes there is a whistle when I head check to the right, and due to the larger chin bar it can only go so far before hitting your shoulder. It doesn't always happen, so I think it may be due to a particular manner that I may close the visor. Other than that, I did have to cut out some of the plastic for my sena to mount because I didnt want to buy the proprietary neck collar for like $400, but I knew that going into it. It is a super comfortable helmet which was the most important factor for me. I bought my s2 when there was a 15% discount at my local bike shop, but sometimes I wish I had just bought an RX-Q or Defiant, you can not go wrong with an Arai.
'14 Triumph Street Triple R
ColdForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #5
SUVslayer OP
Studly Adventurer

I love Arai and have had good experiences with their helmets. The Schuthbert interested me bc they are some of the lightest and smallest profile helmets out there, and apparently some of the quietest too.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVslayer View Post

I ordered the Schuberth C-3 Pro with the communications gizmo and promptly returned it after prying my head out of it. They inexplicably size their helmets a full size smaller and I don't have the patience to get another one. Its a nice helmet for sure but way over priced. The nice thing I guess is the plug and play nature of the bluetooth set but all said it was over $1200.00 for the set up which is just ridiculous IMO.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,567
This post should be in the Equipment section. You might get more responses there.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #8
SUVslayer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
This post should be in the Equipment section. You might get more responses there.
Good call. thanks
Old 02-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
BootsandPants
Sprayer

Oddometer: 136
Used an Arai Vector from 2009-present, recently replaced with a Schuberth in October.

It initially felt different from my Arai at first (less "soft" and plush), but has broken in really nicely over the first few weeks. Airflow on both is something to be desired, but it's not bad. The Schuberth fits way closer than the arai did sized correctly. Again, was a little weird at first, but now I'm totally used to it and really like it.

The one thing I like about the Arai is the detentless visor. I was able to crack it just a tiny bit to get the amount of airflow I wanted. Schuberth has detents and the space between closed and the first detent is too big to use on the highway. Again, not a deal breaker, but something I really liked about the Arai. On the contrast, swapping out visors or even popping it off is so much easier and faster on the Schuberth, and a huge PITA on the Arai.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either; both are great. Whatever fits best and is most comfortable.
BootsandPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
Friz Freleng
Religious zealot

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
I ordered the Schuberth C-3 Pro with the communications gizmo and promptly returned it after prying my head out of it. They inexplicably size their helmets a full size smaller and I don't have the patience to get another one. Its a nice helmet for sure but way over priced. The nice thing I guess is the plug and play nature of the bluetooth set but all said it was over $1200.00 for the set up which is just ridiculous IMO.

You do have to pry your head in and out of a Schuberth, at least initially. When I first tried on my S2 I thought I'd never get it off without peeling my ears off. But this goes away after breaking in the helmet and after the foam conforms to your head.

I really like my S2 but it fogs easily in cool weather. The comm system is nicely integrated but it is spendy. I can't speak to the modulars but the S2 is one of the quietest helmets I've used.
n My Father's Midway Are Many Bumper Car Rides.
Friz Freleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:03 AM   #11
SUVslayer OP
Studly Adventurer

The significant lack of fogging is one thing I really like about my XD3. I'm not sure how the Defiant will work in that department, since the chin bar is closer. But the XD does not work well on my street bike.

Is the smaller profile and weight of the Schuthbert really noticeable?