Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #406
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,336
Spent the first night in the hammock below freezing. I do not have a UQ but what I did have worked.

I have an ENO DoubleNest and an "Underbelly" gear sling. The gear sling is essentially another hammock you string up under your hammock to keep your gear off the ground. I found that if I lay my riding gear, jacket and riding pants, in the underbelly they acted insulate the same way a quilt would. I reached down under the hammock after being in it for about 20 minutes and was amazed at the heat that was trapped between me and my gear. I slept warm and woke up nice and warm as well. Worked great !!!!!!
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #407
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino2000 View Post
Spent the first night in the hammock below freezing. I do not have a UQ but what I did have worked.

I have an ENO DoubleNest and an "Underbelly" gear sling. The gear sling is essentially another hammock you string up under your hammock to keep your gear off the ground. I found that if I lay my riding gear, jacket and riding pants, in the underbelly they acted insulate the same way a quilt would. I reached down under the hammock after being in it for about 20 minutes and was amazed at the heat that was trapped between me and my gear. I slept warm and woke up nice and warm as well. Worked great !!!!!!

So what did you use for the gear sling?? That would also answer the question of what to do with your gear at night. I don't sleep dressed so having it handy in the morning would be nice.....

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #408
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,336
VFR, in a pinch, it can be used as a hammock as well. is the perfect thing for keeping your gear off the ground.

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/underbelly.html
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #409
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Well I made a score I hope.
Got a WarBonnet BB 1.7 dbl off of HF last night. He said he was putting it in the mail today, so in a few days I will know how well I did. Maybe this weekend I can give it a try if I am brave enought. Never hung in the 20's yet.

I may give that under hammoc idea a try with an old sleeping bag until I can score a UQ.
Hairsmith
hairsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #410
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino2000 View Post
VFR, in a pinch, it can be used as a hammock as well. is the perfect thing for keeping your gear off the ground.

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/underbelly.html

Thanks, I'll add that to the long list of stuff I need to buy.....

Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #411
VFR
Studly Adventurer

The "Need to Buy" list is getting shorter. I got a WB Edge in spinn off the for sale section in HF last night. That should pack small enough to take along.

One of these days I'll have to find a place to hang the hammock. There is a campground in the trees up on Ortega that may be worth riding up to for a test.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #412
ducnek
Satisfied customer

Oddometer: 1,012
I have a ENO double, and rain fly. All of the straps, ropes, hammock and rain fly pack down to about the size of a quart of beer.

Here it is set up:

I used this 3 times last year in an effort to reduce my shit for an overnight trip. It takes about 5 minutes to set up as shown above. One good thing about the straps from ENO is they have sewn in loops along the strap that can be used to hang stuff from to dry or keep off of the ground. The rain fly I have leaves a little to be desired if a storm rolls through, but a nice slow rain is no problem. I used the hammock in temps down to about 50 deg. Even at 70 deg at night I needed a barrier to stay warm. The hammock is perfect for mid summer trips, where here the temps can stay in the low 80s to upper 70s through the night. I am still tweaking this set up, and sleeping in the hammock in place of a tent did take some getting used to. I set it up in the yard and took several mid afternoon siestas to get my body accustomed to sleeping in it.

This set up reduced my overnight gear by at least half. Purchased from a local outfitter for about $100 for the complete set up.

Packed for 4 days including all food/water.

ducnek screwed with this post 01-12-2011 at 12:27 PM
ducnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #413
Whoam
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 160
This is an old unit, has to be at least 15 years or more, no name that I can remember, got it from one of those outdoorsy catalogs.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #414
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,528
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #415
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Nice setup, ducnek. I am amazed at all the stuff you can get into one of those Giant Loop bags. I can't come even close to that, but I am not what you would call a minimalist camper. Trying, but it just doesn't seem to work out.

My hammock gear so far is lighter & less bulk than my tent gear, so if I can ever get to the point where I only hang, then maybe it will work out for me. Many places out here where I camp don't have anything even resembling a tree & if I'm on the ground, I'll be in a tent, thank you....

Old 01-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #416
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,461
keep them pics coming!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #417
HOSS77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Here my setup. Just added Whoopie Slings the other day.
HOSS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #418
mtndragon
Traveler

Oddometer: 295
First Hang

Ok, I'll play.
Became interested in hammocks as shelter for bikepacking and touring and ordered a Warbonnet Blackbird, which arrived in December. Curious to see what these things were all about and drunk on wine and hammock forum videos I decided to test it out in the storms over the holidays. Two nights in the backyard testing. First night it snowed about 8 inches, temperatures in the upper 20's. Used my Big Agnes inflatible pad and a 5 degree bag. Slept very well.

Super tarp set up low, and the entire thing was very cozy. Second night, the storm cleared and the temps were in the teens. I added some thin packing foam to the mattress underneath and slept soundly till 8am. I am sold on hammocking, and looking into some type of underquilt arrangement.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #419
Caribou Aqua Buddha
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,983
Curious if you had that BA pad between the bottom layers, if that is a double?
Caribou Aqua Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #420
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Nice!!! I would have to have had a LOT of wine to camp in that much (make that any) snow. Good for you. I only plan to use mine in the summer & fall.