ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #481
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer
 
Law Dawg (ret)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 820
Is it a sickness to refuse to attend any get together that I cannot hang at?

Honestly, I am not sure my beat up body and bones would take going to ground any more than once in a blue moon. Really don't miss the tent...
__________________
Firefly; the way it will actually be...rednecks in space, dealing with the mess made by urban progressives while being hounded by them and all without any goofy alien stuff. Shiney!
Law Dawg (ret) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #482
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Racerman27410's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Greensboro NC
Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
That's why I don't run a quilt, I slide a thermarest prolite (small and tapered) inside my sleeping bag so it can't shift around. If you have to go to ground you're covered and it's plenty warm. I have a super shelter for the HH but leave the foam at home, with the extra layer always in the snake skins if it's extra cold (well below freezing) I can open up my riding jacket and slide it under me.

+1 except i use my exped downmat.

a couple of sections of my bubo poles to hold up the ends of the hammock and i'm good.... trees or no trees.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #483
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer
 
triplenickel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Campbell River, BC. Fantasy Island
Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerman27410 View Post
+1 except i use my exped downmat.

a couple of sections of my bubo poles to hold up the ends of the hammock and i'm good.... trees or no trees.

If there's a sacrifice in comfort over the supershelter which I assume to be the same comfort range as a down UQ I don't notice it. I don't have the Bubo poles but carry 4 tent pegs to either guy out the fly if I'm hanging or on the ground I go off the rear rack (bike on center stand) and use the pegs to guy out the rest. So far so good!

I have an exped too, I wonder how it would work between the layers with a super shelter? Do you just put it under your bag, does it shift around?
__________________
07 SE

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #484
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Racerman27410's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Greensboro NC
Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post

I have an exped too, I wonder how it would work between the layers with a super shelter? Do you just put it under your bag, does it shift around?
i put it between the layers only slightly inflated.... no problems with it moving around during the night.

i like for my gear to be multi purpose so the exped won out over the stock SS foam which isnt exactly the most durable product on the market... and definitely no good if i was forced to ground. (luckily that has never happened)
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #485
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer
 
triplenickel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Campbell River, BC. Fantasy Island
Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerman27410 View Post
i put it between the layers only slightly inflated.... no problems with it moving around during the night.

i like for my gear to be multi purpose so the exped won out over the stock SS foam which isnt exactly the most durable product on the market... and definitely no good if i was forced to ground. (luckily that has never happened)

Cool, thanks for the idea gonna have to give it a try one of these days. I suppose I could always glue on some shock cord like the SS foam if it slipped. Packed size should stay about the same too.
__________________
07 SE

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #486
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
I bought one this week from Cabelas "Bargin Cave" for $119 to test...sorry no pics!....

Likes!
1. Comfort!!! wow is was nice!
2. the bars are great for pulling yourself around to get comfortable.
3. Very well made!
4. lots of straps on the ridgeline for gear (flash light, etc.)
5. Storage on the ends are WAY COOL!

Dislikes!
1. Hot...down south here I would be limited to use because it gets warm inside.
2. No bug screen....I do have a hanging screen but that would make it a PITA.....
3. With the bars it make the hammock a lot less stable...lots of rotational motion....Hennesy / Black bird there is zero rotational movement.
4. no view of the stars
5. The packed size is larger than my 2 man North Face Tadpole tent .
6. Heavy metal poles

I have a Hennesy ( bottom entry) and a Crazy Creek "Crib model" (with a hammock bliss bug netting).

I would love to try the Black Bird and the Jacks r better ($189 yikes! over priced)..
I sold my BlackBird after trying for over 30 nights just to spend one whole night in it. With many different pads. without pads, UQ's ... etc. Couldn't do it. Sold.

Hennesey was a no-no.

Jacks R Better bridge made me feel like a sardine. Less than 5 minutes and it was down.

Grizz Bridge was better but still narrow and couldn't get out of the damn thing.

If you think the Chrysalis is tippy, try the JRB bridge .. I was getting sea sick when I first got in it and it kept swaying for minutes till I stuck my arm out to stop it.

Beige Chrysalis was better than all those. Still I cut 2" off the head spreader bar and it was better, less tension in the fabric under my head.

New 2011 Apple Green Chrysalis is much more comfy that the first edition and has lighter aluminum spreaders, new suspension, new style camper top with bug screen built in that goes all the way under the body and around. The fabric on the bottom isn't in strips like the first one and has a much flatter lay to it.

Much easier, less fiddle than the first edition. I also have the complete Tropic bug screen that covers everything so the sil camper top isn't necessary if you carry a tarp or camp when there are no bugs around. Also has a double layer bottom if you want to use a pad.

I use a down 3/4 UQ and a full length 3 season and with a bit of mod on the shock cord and 4 mini biners and they fit great.

Here's his brochure. I'm planning on a setup in the trees and will take a bunch of pics.

For me, and I'm a picky guy, for moto or canoe camping this is perfect!!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 03-04-2011 at 09:07 AM
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #487
VFR
Studly Adventurer
 
VFR's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunny (sometimes) SoCal
Oddometer: 675
Nice to see some activity on this thread again, although this post isn't quite the type I was hoping to see. It appears that many of the posters here have gone/returned to Hammockforum rather than post here.

I don't think you are the only one that has sold a complete setup or a series of hammocks there either. I have noticed a few that seem to have sold everything but can't say if they tried another setup or just gave it up.

Still haven't hung or slept in my Blackbird. I finally got all of the things I need & will give it a try here soon. Maybe run out to the desert one weekend, but take a tent just in case....
__________________
Larry

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #488
Snr Moment
Unafarkler
 
Snr Moment's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Billings, MT
Oddometer: 2,189
The Chrysalis guy doesn't appear to be as near as much fun as Shug.

__________________
Love is blind, marriage is an eye-opener.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #489
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,719
Yeah, but Shug is narrow focused like most on HF ... the Chrysalis is for those who think outside of the box.
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #490
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....
 
HighTechCoonass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: land of the swamps!, Cajun Country LA
Oddometer: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I sold my BlackBird after trying for over 30 nights just to spend one whole night in it. With many different pads. without pads, UQ's ... etc. Couldn't do it. Sold.

Hennesey was a no-no.

Jacks R Better bridge made me feel like a sardine. Less than 5 minutes and it was down.

Grizz Bridge was better but still narrow and couldn't get out of the damn thing.

If you think the Chrysalis is tippy, try the JRB bridge .. I was getting sea sick when I first got in it and it kept swaying for minutes till I stuck my arm out to stop it.

Beige Chrysalis was better than all those. Still I cut 2" off the head spreader bar and it was better, less tension in the fabric under my head.

New 2011 Apple Green Chrysalis is much more comfy that the first edition and has lighter aluminum spreaders, new suspension, new style camper top with bug screen built in that goes all the way under the body and around. The fabric on the bottom isn't in strips like the first one and has a much flatter lay to it.

Much easier, less fiddle than the first edition. I also have the complete Tropic bug screen that covers everything so the sil camper top isn't necessary if you carry a tarp or camp when there are no bugs around. Also has a double layer bottom if you want to use a pad.

I use a down 3/4 UQ and a full length 3 season and with a bit of mod on the shock cord and 4 mini biners and they fit great.

Here's his brochure. I'm planning on a setup in the trees and will take a bunch of pics.

For me, and I'm a picky guy, for moto or canoe camping this is perfect!!

Dan this is what you need!
__________________
Living the dream here in the good old USA! l
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #491
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,719
Looks nice but where's the hammock and the sexy 25 year old??
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #492
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,719
[QUOTE=VFR;15338283]Nice to see some activity on this thread again, although this post isn't quite the type I was hoping to see. It appears that many of the posters here have gone/returned to Hammockforum rather than post here. QUOTE]

If we're serious about hammock's we're not going to give up on HF or here ... share the knowledge, man!
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #493
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....
 
HighTechCoonass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: land of the swamps!, Cajun Country LA
Oddometer: 2,421
Maybe with the end of winter we will see some good info Dan! We need pics of your set up gang!!!


[QUOTE=Dan Alexander;15338683]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
Nice to see some activity on this thread again, although this post isn't quite the type I was hoping to see. It appears that many of the posters here have gone/returned to Hammockforum rather than post here. QUOTE]

If we're serious about hammock's we're not going to give up on HF or here ... share the knowledge, man!
__________________
Living the dream here in the good old USA! l
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #494
Snr Moment
Unafarkler
 
Snr Moment's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Billings, MT
Oddometer: 2,189
Pix will be forthcoming. Right now, I'm figuring out how I want to pack my bike with the new Wolfman Expedition bags. A lot easier without a tent and poles and with some new gear I've acquired over the winter replacing the fat stuff.
Light and tight - I'm already down over 30#'s of luggage & gear and almost a foot skinnier on the azz end.
__________________
Love is blind, marriage is an eye-opener.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #495
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer
 
kitesurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: JAX, FL
Oddometer: 1,550
i've gone through many tents through the years and none were perfect. same with pads and bags. i got lucky with my hammock. I got a really good deal on a new hammock. hung it in the back yard and realized it was a little small for me. so I made one, a double layer, and it's perfect.
__________________
2012 VSTROM ADV 650
US NAVY RETIRED
kitesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014