Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #571
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
I keep hoping I'll find a review that does a head-to-head comparison between, for example, Hennessy, Clark, War Bonnet, or whatever else.
I did all my personal research at HF and settled on the WBBB 1.7 dbl...mostly because it is by far the most popular hammock there. I figured many of these folks have done tons of leg work and sampled different hammocks...why duplicate their cash outlay? The WBBB shelf is a great thing for your head lamp/flashlight plus anything else you might need pronto (holds my Sig P-220 very nicely ). I liked the WBBB enough to buy a Traveler to go with it and will probably add a WBBB 1.1 dbl later.

The progression of looked at hammocks;
1- Hennessy because it is the first stumbled on.
2- Clark because it had all the bells and whistles...with a HEFTY price tag to boot.
3- WBBB...see above. Sometimes it IS smart to follow the crowd.

I will say that I also got PMs on HF warning about the choice of Clark over the WBBB. Watch the flea market there and see how long it takes to move a used Clark (and how low the asked price goes before it does sell) compared to a WBBB. You will find very subjective comparisons over there but, like wind shield threads here...YMMV.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #572
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,190
I got my WBBB 1.1 dbl barely used off HF. It also included a free whoopie sling conversion. It was up for sale less than 20 minutes. Also bought the PO's 3/4 Yeti UQ a month later.

Had it set up over Easter and experimented with the UQ and then my Insulamat pad. No comparison, the UQ is light years better. Total savings from new was about 30% for the set. Could sell it today for that or better.

Might tell you something about "The War Bonnet Guy." Shug never lies.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:13 AM   #573
SNott
s'not what you think

Oddometer: 9
Good god, 39 pages of hammock info, this is going to take me a while to read through. Better start now though, I got a WA/OR trip down Hwy 97 (probably) coming up at the end of the month. Might be a little tricky finding trees along some parts, but I haven't been down that way yet.

I'm sick of setting up tents, I want something fast, small, and dry.
Looks like the WBBB is the best of the crop for side sleepers like me.

SNott screwed with this post 05-06-2011 at 02:21 AM
SNott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #574
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
also do a lot or reading over at HAMMOCK FORUMS and you'll see that the majority make their own hammocks. no sewing needed at all for a double layer. you can be as fancy or basic as you want to be :)
Old 05-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #575
SNott
s'not what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
also do a lot or reading over at HAMMOCK FORUMS and you'll see that the majority make their own hammocks. no sewing needed at all for a double layer. you can be as fancy or basic as you want to be :)
Sounds great but honestly I'd rather spend $150 or $200 and get it delivered. Living in a small apartment isn't compatible with big sewing project

OK I think I got my kit picked out. Better read all the posts a 3rd time though, just to make sure

SNott screwed with this post 05-06-2011 at 05:37 PM
Old 05-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #576
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,022
Ive made several of them SNott, all I need is a kitchen table, and somewhere else to put the stupid dog for an hour or so.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #577
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
Ive made several of them SNott, all I need is a kitchen table, and somewhere else to put the stupid dog for an hour or so.
The smart dog helps keep the seams aligned
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #578
tgeliot
Topher

Jacks R Better anyone?

Does anyone here have any experience with the Jacks R Better "bridge" design? It's significantly different from all the others, but gets very little air time in the discussions.

BTW, it uses spreader bars, but that isn't what makes it a "bridge" design. The "bridge" aspect is that the floor of the hammock is hung from side walls which act rather like the cables on a suspension bridge. They're taller on the ends than in the middle of the hammock, resulting in a very flat floor. Think of the middle section of the Golden Gate Bridge. The big, top support cables hang way down, but the bridge deck is pretty much flat.

BTW, JRB is having a sale right now.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #579
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNott View Post
OK I think I got my kit picked out. Better read all the posts a 3rd time though, just to make sure
Oh do tell!

The DIY culture is strong over there (HF) but then it is guys like you and I that make it possible for the DIY types to turn into vendors. I'm with ya...no desire to sew. That's why we have vendors and women.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #580
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Does anyone here have any experience with the Jacks R Better "bridge" design? It's significantly different from all the others, but gets very little air time in the discussions.

BTW, it uses spreader bars, but that isn't what makes it a "bridge" design. The "bridge" aspect is that the floor of the hammock is hung from side walls which act rather like the cables on a suspension bridge. They're taller on the ends than in the middle of the hammock, resulting in a very flat floor. Think of the middle section of the Golden Gate Bridge. The big, top support cables hang way down, but the bridge deck is pretty much flat.

BTW, JRB is having a sale right now.
JRB bridge has a very flat lay but the spreader bars are very narrow and you will get a lot of shoulder squeeze. Like sleeping in a coffin that's too small. I spend 2 minutes in one and immediately sold it.

I tried quite a few hammocks (I know LD, I know ) and settled on a 2011 Chrysalis. Flat lay but not totally flat like the JRB so a pillow is optional, 42" spreader bars so no shoulder squeeze. You can lay there and put your hands under your head and relax, also side sleeping is great on both sides and I actually slept on my belly once. I spend 70% of my nights in it now and leave the $4000 mattress upstairs empty.

If you think the JRB bridge doesn't get mentioned much, try and look for this one. There's a couple of threads but few users ... so far ... I predict the new version that I have will gain much more support once word gets around.

It's no UL backpackers dream but weighs the same as my solo tent did.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #581
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
looks like a hanging meat locker to me.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #582
tgeliot
Topher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I tried quite a few hammocks (I know LD, I know ) and settled on a 2011 Chrysalis.
Thanks for the tip. I find references to a Eureka Chrysalis which appears to be in closeout, only still available at selected vendors, and a sort of casual mention of a Chrysalis Hammock company. This is the Eureka you're talking about, right?

Hmm, a little further research indicates that it's a 2010 model being closed out.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #583
SNott
s'not what you think

Decided on the setup I want to buy.....

- Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock (WBBB)
- Double Layer 1.1
- Adjustable webbing suspension

The rest of it I'll cobble together from existing camping gear.

Also looking for a Kelty Noah's 9x9 tarp

Anyone selling?
I'm in Canada if that's a factor

SNott screwed with this post 05-07-2011 at 11:51 PM
Old 05-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #584
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNott View Post
Decided on the setup I want to buy.....

- Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock (WBBB)
- Double Layer 1.1
- Adjustable webbing suspension

The rest of it I'll cobble together from existing camping gear.

Also looking for a Kelty Noah's 9x9 tarp
That's my exact next hammock purchase for...ahem...my wife. I have the 1.7 dbl and the 1.1 (Traveler) and the lighter material feels better.

The Kelty 9x9 is the tarp I wished I had gotten (over the 12x12) until I actually loaded all my stuff up in the paniers and tank bag. I've been unable to tour at all since the bike and luggage was purchased and this was the shakedown trip. My UQ (synthetic) sleeping bag (synthetic) and tarp consumed 2/3 of my panier space.

Had to leave stuff home that made anything but an overnighter real tough. I ended up biting the bullet and getting Arrowhead tarps just to save space (and weight). There are some real moto cross over uses for the ubber small and light backpacker stuff. I'd not scrimp on the UQ, TQ (go down for both), or tarp they really do save you some space and weight...but then I am kind of a minimalist moto camper and like stuff put away instead of draped all over the bike.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #585
SNott
s'not what you think

Price is a pretty big consideration for me so I'm using my existing sleeping bag, going to get some cheap 3/8 or 1/2 CCF and cut to shape for the double bottom, and a $150+ tarp is not gonna happen at this point.

I have pretty small panniers, then I use straps to lash down two big dry bags on top of them, one for dry stuff (clothes, bag) and one for wet stuff (bike cover, poncho, etc). Not pretty I guess, but works well for me, and you can cram a lot of sweaters, sleeping bag, fleece etc in a 55L dry bag. The CCF roll can go on top in a garbage bag. Keeps all the light stuff up high and the heavy stuff (stove, fuel, food, tools) lower in the panniers.

SNott screwed with this post 05-08-2011 at 02:10 PM