Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #46
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
Does the extra material for the pockets on the bottom of a Clark actually work or is a pad as necessary as on any other hammock?

Basic question ... how do I know which hammock I'm going to like better

Are there certain types that are better for certain types of sleeping styles or certain types of gear?
Yes.
Good luck.
Yes.

The Clark pockets are used by most to stuff clothing etc into and they do add insulation. Clark also makes a set of small pillow things to put in there and they offer insulation. Both of these seem like far too much effort to me when one UQ offers simple and effective, while being comfortable, insulation. When it gets cold enough you are going to need to add more insulation to the Clark anyway. Most that offered me advice (when the decision was being forged) started with the Clark (which they hated) and then went to the WBBB (which they love)...many selling the Clark at a massive loss BTW.

Certain hammocks offer better lay for different positions (back or side sleeper) but sorting that out is tough without a try. If you can attend a hanging gathering or find someone close to allow you a try of their hammock, you can get a better feel for fit.

I'd recommend you simply buy a WB Traveler double layer (around $70) as it is cold season now (no skeeter net required) and give it a try. If you don't like it a sale on HF will get it gone in a heart beat. That will most likely be my next hammock purchase (with adjustable webbing BTW). The two most popular brands are HH and WBBB and on HF the Blackbird is huge in popularity...as in when someone sells one used, it will not last half a day before getting grabbed up at minimal loss huge.

Law Dawg (ret) screwed with this post 11-05-2010 at 09:21 AM
Law Dawg (ret) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #47
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,719
How does this pricing on the HH look to you ... ADV riders will get another 20% off. I'd go with a Safari Deluxe. Do I really need the double bottom? Seems HH is changing to a side zip and double bottom like WB on their new stuff so maybe that's the wave of the future and I should hold out.

Should I pull the trigger on one of these and sort from there or get the WBBB at full retail plus duty to cross the border and GST etc.? The HH ships from Canada so no duty to pay and cheaper shipping.

Explorer Ultralight – a longer version of the Ultralight Backpacker
for people over 6’ tall and up to 250 lbs. Suggested retail price $219
EXULCO3 $139 Demo, entrance repair
EXULC08 $139 Demo, 6" x 6" repair to mesh
EXULC16 $129 Demo, 2 small repairs to mesh, light wear on ropes

Explorer Deluxe - coyote brown heavy duty hammock for people over 6 ft
and up to 300 lbs. - still weighs only 3 lbs. 4 oz! Suggested retail
price $199
EXDLC10 $109 Demo, velcro flaw,some fraying
EXDLC12 $59 Demo, no mesh

Safari Deluxe – our king-sized model suitable for people or cozy
couples up to 350 lbs. Features a double-sized “hex fly”. Suggested
retail price $229
SAFDC03 $159 Demo
SAFDC04 $159 Demo
SAFDC06 $159 Demo

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 11-05-2010 at 06:52 PM
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #48
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
I like my explorer deluxe a lot. A buddy has one (can't remember the model) with the smaller main line and it sags over night, I'm also a big fan of the bottom entry, you just sit down and lay back.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #49
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Have you had a chance to look at a War Bonnet up close and compare? Seems they have a bigger foot box so you can spread out a bit more.

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/images/...s/IMG_3366.jpg

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 12-04-2010 at 06:47 PM
Old 11-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #50
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,316
I have a Hennessey safari deluxe, with a hex tarp and supershelter, don't know how I did without it.

At rallys though, a tent is better for the others I am shareing the area with, the sight of me descending to earth in the morning is something I would spare others, better to appear from a tent readfy to greet the world

Being off the ground in Australia is a distinct advantage, away from joe blakes, cane toads and meat ants.
'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #51
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
I've been a tent camper but am just getting interested in hammocks. I had a jungle hammock that I slept in as a kid & really liked it.

The thing is, what do you do with your gear & clothes at night? All of the videos show a person getting into the hammock fully clothed & not even into a sleeping bag. I don't sleep fully clothed so that is a serious issue. My choice would be the WBBB as I am a side sleeper & primarily on the side that works best in that one. Another problem is that out here there aren't many places where I camp that have trees large enough or situated properly in the campsites to hang a hammock. Probably in the forest over on the Rim in AZ would be better suited for that.

If the hammock cannot be hung for whatever reason, is it possible to use it as a bivy? It appears that most people posting & most areas best suited for hammocks are back east. I suppose one could carry both & use the one best suited for wherever you camp but that is at least one more thing to pack.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #52
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,454
You can, just, but it's not ideal. The biggest thing that got me back of them is that there is absolutely no weight savings by the time you add a pad and down wrap around. So there is not weight advantage, no comfort advantage and no time advantage over a tent, so what's the point other than the novelty?
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #53
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Everything I've read says there's a large comfort advantage.

Not so?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #54
Otis357
Dirty Hippie

Oddometer: 413
I've got a Hennessy Expedition Asym, and I have a real love\hate thing going with it. I love the concept and the comfort is top notch (if you have the right sleeping pad), but hate the lack of privacy as noted, and it can be hard to manage your gear. In a tent, you can unpack clothes and things, and leave the packs in a vestibule for easy access. You also have some privacy when camping in a group if you need to change or just want to sack out and read or something. You don't really have the same level of privacy with the hammock, unless you carry a very large tarp to use over it. Some folks leave their gear on the ground under the hammock, and doing this with the new side zip hammocks may solve the gear access issue Im not a fan of leaving my gear on the ground.

If I take the poles out of my Sierra Designs electron tent, it will pack down to the same size and weight as the hammock so its not a big or size or weight savings. Also, I find I can get my tent setup much faster and easier than the hammock... Never had a problem finding a tent pad, but I have been at sites without trees or where I had to go out of the way to find a good hammock location. There are a few vid of folks using it on the ground with a good ground sheet underneath, and you can tie one end onto your bike to prop it up over your face.

I take the hammock on short solo or small group trips but the Electron for longer trips. I have the older hammock where you enter from underneath it, but I find it can be difficult at times to get in and arrange yourself in the bag. Sleeping pads tend to fly out from underneath too if youre a restless sleeper. The new side zip hammocks with the larger hex fly have really caught my eye however... it sure looks like a big improvement and would solve a couple of the difficulties I currently have with the hammock. Seriously considering selling my old version for the new side zip one... but am still waffling over that or an ecotat\bivy shelter....

If you already have a tent and are looking for something new to try, get it... if you dont like it, they turn over really quick on Craigslist and you can get a good buck for it used.

Otis357 screwed with this post 11-06-2010 at 06:58 PM
Otis357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #55
Otis357
Dirty Hippie

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel
While I've never seen a Big Agnes bag if it has a spot to put some less compressable insulation then it would likely work. Give it a try, you can always buy the UQ later.

Edit; whatever you choose get the biggest fly you can and you don't need a tarp for camp.
I use a Big Agness down bag with the sleeve for the sleeping pad and it works fantastic in the hammock.... my only issue is with the bag itself. Theres only a thin layer of poly between your skin and the pad so on hot nights I find it a little uncomfortable... kinda like sleeping on plastic.
Otis357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #56
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,421
Laugh Hennessy's new Typhoon Rain fly. The Fly with doors!!!

This is the Jungle XL model (double layer floor) with the brand new Typhoon Hex fly with end doors.

I did a fast setup here I was in a rush to post pics...!

The end door close up.....

long strip of velcro for the closure

the black seam here is the hole between the two fabric layers to insert your thermal pad....

The bottom fabric is "cotton" soft... very nice on the skin!

attachment of the doors!!

lots more pics here!!!!

http://hightechcoonass.smugmug.com/Other/Hammocks/14526507_twiF6#1079040919_EGUu4

What you think???
Old 11-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #57
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
Have you had a chance to look at a War Bonnet up close and compare? Seems they have a bigger foot box so you can spread out a bit more.

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/images/...s/IMG_3366.jpg
Negative ghost rider.

As a Bivy. IMO there's a huge comfort advantage, and setup advantage.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:58 AM   #58
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten
The biggest thing that got me back of them is that there is absolutely no weight savings by the time you add a pad and down wrap around. So there is not weight advantage, no comfort advantage and no time advantage over a tent, so what's the point other than the novelty?
Ground camp in cold weather involves pads and heavier sleeping bags as well. Pads in a hammock? Not really needed anymore, most that don't have to deal with the Hennessy birth canal entry system use a down (or synthetic) under nest and a zipperless footbox top quilt. Sounds like you need to consider other than Hennessy style pad systems. But then you asked what's the point.

Comfort/convienience; Would you prefer to sleep on your Sleep # bed or on the floor? With a good underquilt and topquilt I am nested in soft (light) down warmth. Going on a trip that will not have much in the way of trees etc, I'll take my tent (or better, motel it) but then mostly it is a matter of routing and enjoyment. I like spots where there are trees to camp anyway and plan accordingly.

Convienience/comfort; I am off the ground and the hammock is good for lounging or used as a chair as well as a bed. Some of us are older and doing the gymnastics of ground dwelling just are not as "fun" as they used to be. Neither is sitting on a stump or rock...or lugging a chair on the bike.

The comfort levels alone make hammocks more than a novelty. A novelty is more like a tent with a built in garage for the bike.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:12 AM   #59
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
Convienience/comfort; I am off the ground and the hammock is good for lounging or used as a chair as well as a bed. Some of us are older and doing the gymnastics of ground dwelling just are not as "fun" as they used to be. Neither is sitting on a stump or rock...or lugging a chair on the bike.

The comfort levels alone make hammocks more than a novelty. A novelty is more like a tent with a built in garage for the bike.
This is exactly why I'm interested, not for any weight savings. I'm looking for comfort. I've been camping for over 50 years but the hips and knees don't bend like they used to and are making crawling in and out of my one man tents too uncomfortable.

There isn't much storage in the hammock but I have a light weight bike cover so I figure I can leave all the riding gear on the seat and cover it.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #60
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel
Negative ghost rider.

As a Bivy. IMO there's a huge comfort advantage, and setup advantage.
These bridge hammocks seem to go to ground pretty well too. One end onto the bike and another to a smaller tree or whatever or even grounded.

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 12-04-2010 at 06:47 PM