Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #586
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
JRB bridge has a very flat lay but the spreader bars are very narrow and you will get a lot of shoulder squeeze. Like sleeping in a coffin that's too small. I spend 2 minutes in one and immediately sold it.

I tried quite a few hammocks (I know LD, I know ) and settled on a 2011 Chrysalis. Flat lay but not totally flat like the JRB so a pillow is optional, 42" spreader bars so no shoulder squeeze. You can lay there and put your hands under your head and relax, also side sleeping is great on both sides and I actually slept on my belly once. I spend 70% of my nights in it now and leave the $4000 mattress upstairs empty.

If you think the JRB bridge doesn't get mentioned much, try and look for this one. There's a couple of threads but few users ... so far ... I predict the new version that I have will gain much more support once word gets around.

It's no UL backpackers dream but weighs the same as my solo tent did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Thanks for the tip. I find references to a Eureka Chrysalis which appears to be in closeout, only still available at selected vendors, and a sort of casual mention of a Chrysalis Hammock company. This is the Eureka you're talking about, right?

Hmm, a little further research indicates that it's a 2010 model being closed out.
I got one of the 2010 closeouts...i'm cheap. I did a test hang in the basement and that 's as far as I got. It's looks good for moto camping-if one want's a lighter weight version, you can change out the heavy hardware for aluminum spreader tubing and clips.

The recommendation of a tarp is a good idea, and was thinking the same thing recently. I have some rain fly covers I could try out for the tents I already own - the one for my Sierra Design's Mondo Condo (4 man) would be equivalent to a 9x9 size. I will test this out when I get back home. Since I am out on the road working, I may want to bring the hammock along on the next trip and test hang it (shhh...don't tell any one this, but there is really cool conservation area right behind my hotel in Massachusetts! I could hang out in the woods and keep my gear in the room!)
Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #587
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
So which UQ packs the smallest, keeps me the warmest down to freezing and fits a Hennessey Expedetion the best?

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #588
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Thanks for the tip. I find references to a Eureka Chrysalis which appears to be in closeout, only still available at selected vendors, and a sort of casual mention of a Chrysalis Hammock company. This is the Eureka you're talking about, right?

Hmm, a little further research indicates that it's a 2010 model being closed out.
The new model was supposed to be available as of April but maybe that's changed.

Here's the website of the patent owner but I don't see the new model .. maybe give him a call or email.

http://helsdonoutdoors.com/

Here's a website that has some disjointed info on the new one. All parts are now bought seperately, hammoc, bug screen or camper sleeve (new ones are green, old are beige) if you want one. I'll use the bug screen and a tarp I modded with poles to make it arc over the spreader bars.

http://www.gear-up.com/cart_showproduct.php?pid=16495
Old 05-09-2011, 04:49 AM   #589
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGBrian View Post
I got one of the 2010 closeouts...i'm cheap. I did a test hang in the basement and that 's as far as I got. It's looks good for moto camping-if one want's a lighter weight version, you can change out the heavy hardware for aluminum spreader tubing and clips.
If you find you like the old version you'll love the new one
Old 05-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #590
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
If you find you like the old version you'll love the new one
I bought the old version because it was less expensive than the other manufactured models out there, and it came with all the stuff I wanted (fly, screens,etc.) With the price of the new one with all the accessories, I might as well spring for the WBB or similar.

Still, I would like to see what is the difference in person. I bought v1 sight unseen, based on the vids I saw at http://helsdonoutdoors.com/ and the comment on this thread and over at HF.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #591
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

[QUOTE=RAGBrian;15866834]I bought the old version because it was less expensive than the other manufactured models out there, and it came with all the stuff I wanted (fly, screens,etc.) With the price of the new one with all the accessories, I might as well spring for the WBB or similar. /QUOTE]

You certainly could buy the BB instead ... but you're comparing apples to oranges. A bridge hammock and a gathered end are very different. I owned a BB and sold it for the Chrysalis ... as they say HYOH.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #592
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,072
Today I ordered me and my son two Jacks R Better Sierra Sniveller top quilts to go with our 3 season nest UQ. That's about all that is on my hammock list of stuff to get. Going to KY next week so hope to try out the new quilts then.
'09 Yamaha T-Max
'06 Honda Silver wing (for sale)
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #593
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,821

MeanMoe screwed with this post 05-15-2011 at 04:33 PM
MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #594
italiano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
love in hammock

By the way there isint a tread here of how to make love in a hammock

Standing up???????
italiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #595
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
A JacksRBetter Nest is rated to 20f and has Omnitape to match up to the HH bottom entrance if you have that model.

They are running their Trail Days Sale right now. Makes it a bit more affordable. The quilts are also available with 900 fill down or overstuff if you want.

No interest in JRB, just a satisfied customer.
I am a fairly cold sleeper and last fall I spent a couple evenings in my nest in the upper 20's and with my nest. I had thermals on and some thick hunting socks and I was ok but I could have used a little more insulation under me.
'09 Yamaha T-Max
'06 Honda Silver wing (for sale)
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #596
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,821

MeanMoe screwed with this post 05-15-2011 at 04:33 PM
MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #597
SNott
s'not what you think

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano View Post
By the way there isint a tread here of how to make love in a hammock

Standing up???????
I'll let you know in a couple weeks
Old 05-10-2011, 03:57 AM   #598
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano View Post
By the way there isint a tread here of how to make love in a hammock. Standing up???????
I asked that question over on HF and the thread got punted really quickly. One guy mentioned he'd stand in the 'birth canal' opening in the HH.

We're a little more down and dirty here so maybe we'll get more ideas.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:39 AM   #599
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,190
Idle chatter without pix.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #600
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
I asked that question over on HF and the thread got punted really quickly.
Aaaand I thought I was a Puritan.

Look, this rider is completely happy when my bride consents to even go camping with me at all...anything else is a bonus. That said: at our age and relative stage of Entropy we gave up gymnastics a loooong time ago. In a HAMMOCK!?

Have at it youngsters, all you are doing is building memories of physical feats that will remind you of how silly you were when looking back from your old age.