Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #646
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
Yup, no problem there. It will do the job. Just take care not to drop it very often on hard surfaces, they don't always like that very much. I use mostly retired carabiners for my stuff like this.
Heck, I have been using one that fell down a cliff for years as a hammock biner, cord hanger, etc. Never mind what I said.

Time to hang!

I sleep every night in a hammock, when I moved I left the bed. Sometimes I get a hankering for a flat surface to lie on, and I will sleep on the couch for a few hours. Then back to the hammock.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #647
YogiPerogi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Interested in Joining the Hammocking Club

Alright, I took a VERY loose read of this thread.
I'm not one to start off with a shitty set up and slowly upgrade to the cat's mewow as it ends up costing much more in the end.
So, here's my question:

What would I get if I were to just cut to the chase and get the best set-up right away?

Please list everything remembering I'm completely new to this concept.
-Hammock itself
-under/over quilts?
-tarp?
-pad?
-suspension option?
-Carabiner and other options?

My info which should narrow things down a lot:
I'm 6'7" 275 pounds.
I'd primarily be using this stuff in the spring/summer in WestCoast Canada (mild often wet weather, and occasionally hot weather).
YogiPerogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #648
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,190
I share your thoughts on getting it right the first time.

Hammock: Blackbird 1.1 double
UQ: 3/4 Yeti
Top: 30* down sleeping bag with foot box. Works if I have to go to ground.
Pad: Therm-a-rest ProLite. Can be used for the feet where the Yeti leaves off. Also used if forced to ground
Suspension: Whoopie Slings
Caribiners: Don't know brand off hand, but they will support you.

Only difference I'd recommend is going to the 1.7 dbl BB.

Also go to www.hammockforums.net for more than you'd ever care to know.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #649
chrome bandit
Wide footed adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Cool2 Don't fergit the tarp

Solid recommendations above.

Just don't fergit a tarp for misty wet BC. Either the WarBonnet SuperFly or OES Deluxe would be at top of my list. I have the WB Black Mama, works great, wouldn't mind a little more elbow row and closed doors if the wind howls. Black Mama is fine for rain & drizzle.
chrome bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 AM   #650
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,795
Do research on HF.

I tried 5 or 6 different hammocks till I settled on 'my' preference. I like a wide bridge hammock for the flatter lay and the ability to sleep on my back plus both sides. Hard to do that in my Blackbird.

Being 6'7" your options are more limited though. Some big guys like the Clark Jungle Hammocks
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #651
YogiPerogi
Adventurer

Thanks for help

Excellent.
Thanks guys!

One quick question:
"if you have to go to ground"
Are the recommended hammocks capable of being setup on the ground as well?
-BBDbl 1.7
-Clark Jungle NX-250
-Other?

Sounds like a handy capability...
Old 06-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #652
Eduardo
Eduardo

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano View Post
By the way there isint a tread here of how to make love in a hammock
Standing up???????

I saw a yearly calendar in Flores that had a hammock position for everyday of the year pictured. Some looked pretty twisty, and only for the very limber but it was pretty funny.

Escape the Tundra: Tenth winter in Mexico and Guatemala 2009/2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531184
Minnesota to Guatemala 2008/2009 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423949
Eduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #653
SnoreMachine
ɹǝdɯɐɔ ʞɔoɯɯɐɥ

Oddometer: 80
I have the WBBB1.7 Dbl and like it. It does got to the ground nicely.

With your height I'd be worried about how asymmetrical (lying on the diagonal) any of these would be for you. Best thing is to ask someone like Brandon (the WB guy) or MacEntyre (I think he designed the Switchback) about it. If you post on Hammock forum your needs, someone will either point you to the right item, or even offer to make you one.

Have you tried a DIY gathered end hammock for testing? Easy to make: ripstop, straps, whoopie slings, biner. The straps and the whoopie slings you'll want regardless of what you purchase, and the whoopie slings also make pretty good tie downs. The ripstop can be had from you local fabric store or walmart. Here are two sources for the other items:

http://whoopieslings.com
http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiPerogi View Post
Excellent.
Thanks guys!

One quick question:
"if you have to go to ground"
Are the recommended hammocks capable of being setup on the ground as well?
-BBDbl 1.7
-Clark Jungle NX-250
-Other?

Sounds like a handy capability...
SnoreMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #654
Crazy_Dave
Back'in it in

Oddometer: 588
http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html
Old 06-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #655
YogiPerogi
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
Have you tried a DIY gathered end hammock for testing? Easy to make: ripstop, straps, whoopie slings, biner. The straps and the whoopie slings you'll want regardless of what you purchase, and the whoopie slings also make pretty good tie downs. The ripstop can be had from you local fabric store or walmart.
Uh... no. Not sure I follow. Do you mean make one out of a blanket or something? And just test to see if I like it?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #656
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

He means use ripstop nylon you can buy .... at Wally World it's cheap, like $1.50 a yard in the remnants section.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #657
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Here's a big hammock for you

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/s...ri_deluxe_zip/
Old 06-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #658
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
I got this Hennessy Hammock during the Christmas special. I got the free Hex fly, snake skins, and a scout for free. Also took advantage of the Jan/Feb special with the super shelter and over cover for less than $100. Did my own whoopie sling conversion (posted earlier in this thread).

My top quilt is a Sealy down comforter I bought on clearance for $39. Gonna have a foot box sewn in and a nylon cover made for it. Can wash the cover as needed. Super shelter keeps it warm. Been in it down into the 40s with no problems. Maybe a little too warm. Haven't found the need for the over cover yet. Within 2 minutes of putting that on, the temperature rises to very uncomfortable levels. I guess in the winter it would be nice.

Gonna spend the entire 4th of July week in the Adirondack Mountains, just hanging. My 4 and 5 year old sons are already fighting over who will be hanging in the Scout. They both love it. Gotta buy another. Anyone have a Scout they need to unload?
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #659
SnoreMachine
ɹǝdɯɐɔ ʞɔoɯɯɐɥ

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiPerogi View Post
Uh... no. Not sure I follow. Do you mean make one out of a blanket or something? And just test to see if I like it?
One can learn a lot with a DIY before buying an upgrade. My experience is that you'll still want the upgrade, but you might be better informed about what suits *you* when you buy it. Kinda like a first bike.
  • For example, figure out what length and width fits you. Sleeping flat in a gathered end style hammock means that one needs to lay on the diagonal. Given the same length of hammock, a taller person tend to use up more of the width to lay flat than a shorter person. Most hammocks are a certain width because of the max size of the fabric bolt from the manufacturer. Given the same width, a taller person may need a longer hammock for a flat lay. but everyone is different: what shoulder squeeze you can tolerate? Do you like your feet together or curled up? Etc. All go into figuring out what works for you.

• For example, Do you mainly sleep on your back, left side, or right side IN A HAMMOCK? A lot of people go by what they sleep in a bed, which it turns out isn't the same in a hammock. How you sleep will help determine which side to put the footbox for the WBBB, or maybe that you need to go with a Clark or a Switchback.

A simple DIY hammock is as easy as getting a sheet of ripstop fabric, tying overhand knots in the ends, double sheet bending poyester webbing to the ends. No sewing necessary. One can use Speers and/or Ray Mear's techniques of tying off to a tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE7dx0WJo9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU6r88krh2s

an adjustable ridgline will be helpful in testing too. Also available at http://whoopieslings.com

Hope this helps. Again, someone on hammockforums will have better answers than mine.
SnoreMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #660
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
WHOOPIE SLINGS ARE NICE IF YOU'VE GOT MONEY TO BURN. they are not needed at all. get on over to hammockforums, the home of do it yourself stuff. and why pay $200 plus for a hammock that you can make for $20 ? a knot on each end and couple of larksheads in non stretch rope, and a tree strap. it's not rocket science. and any tarp will work..you don't need to spend good money of yuppie tarps.