Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #676
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,517
if it rains, water will run from the tree down the strap/rope to the hammock. a steel ring will force the water to drip off and not get fyour bed wet. simple stuff here...
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #677
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

11.5 long before gathered end knots. 6' wide, double layered with opening for insertion of cheap walmarat foam pad. finished seams. material came from walmart at 1.50/yard. bug net is also 1.50/yard home made too. bug net lays over the ridgeline and lightly sewn to keep it centered on the ridgeline. lead pellets from a bb gun are sewn into the edges to hold them down and against the sides of the hammock...it's all easy stuff here. you can buy a hennessy label and sew it on so you can impress your friends :)
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #678
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post

I'm thinking the '$200 hammocks' will have a few more features than your $20 homemade job will have and probably be a lot nicer finish wise too

And while I'm at it ... what's wrong with yuppie tarps? They are lighter, pack smaller and are sized perfectly for a hammock. Get your blue $5 Wallyworld tarp if you want and enjoy but try not to be too condescending
sorry to piss you off but somebody needs to tell new hangers the way it is. these guys hiking the entire AT are concerned about size and weight. an ounce saved is necessary for them. but on a motorcycle , who cares how heavy it is when you talking about ounces. exactly what size is perfect for a hammock? larger has always been better for me. i prefer a 10x10. i have a 10x10 HOMEMADE, 16'kelty, 10'kelty, 20x40 BIG WALMART BLUE for truck camping :)
Old 07-01-2011, 04:00 AM   #679
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs Chops View Post
Not anymore! huh JTT

BTW thanks for the business. Fly will be in the mail early next week.
Dubs is the man! Designer labels at Walmart prices
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:12 AM   #680
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
homemade hammock, home made bug net. huge kelty tarp has been replaced with home made with diy waterproof. this ain't rocket science...
Might as well be rocket science to a guy like me with no sewing machine or sewing ability. Guess it's time to learn! Personally I love the pioneer spirit of making things work and agree that sometimes people make things far more complicated and $$$ than they need to be. Thanks kitesurfer!

Where do you buy materials such as tarp cloth, bug netting, etc?
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #681
SnoreMachine
ɹǝdɯɐɔ ʞɔoɯɯɐɥ

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
sorry to piss you off but somebody needs to tell new hangers the way it is. these guys hiking the entire AT are concerned about size and weight. an ounce saved is necessary for them. but on a motorcycle , who cares how heavy it is when you talking about ounces. exactly what size is perfect for a hammock? larger has always been better for me. i prefer a 10x10. i have a 10x10 HOMEMADE, 16'kelty, 10'kelty, 20x40 BIG WALMART BLUE for truck camping :)
Nice pics Kitesurfer. Glad your out there telling them the way it is. Well at least for you.

RE: whoopie slings. I agree, not necessary, but nice. Note in my second post, I provided a solution with no ropes or biner. Just webbing. Perhaps there is enough savings there for someone to buy a sprocket to put on the shelf.

You are right about one difference between MCists and backbackers, we are often concerned about space more than weight. Although with enough weight, a follow-behind trailer like they talk about on motocampers.com may be needed sooner rather than later. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

So as to space:

• Why did I suggest whoopies? First, I probably should have said Amsteel. For us bigger guys, those "non stretch ropes," well, they stretch. Except amsteel. Why whoopies? As noted in my post, they also serve as effective tie downs, much smaller than straps, and one doesn't have to carry soft ties. If one is going to buy a truly non-stretch rope, make it multifunctional. Space savings.

• Your use of rings and biners is nice. I did that. At first. But then I noticed that I could save a lot of space because all that hardware doesn't compact very well. The hardware also tends to abrade things due to the vibrations in the pack (something else a hiker doesn't contend with).

• Your netting. Did that as well. Doesn't keep the bugs out like a zippered net fitted to the hammock.

• Kelty tarp. Nice tarp. Have one. Unlike a 10X10, one can make doors with it for winter. Not Florida winter, but cold, snow on the ground winter. But found that my "yuppie" tarps, larger and with doors, actually packs down smaller. The slicker material packs better than the poly. Again pack size, not weight.

• Bigger always better? I've had a 8X8,10X10,12X12 and other tarps, some DIY, some commercial. Too big of tarps can be a pain in heavy winds, like they have in the midwest. Big tarp maybe nice for rain, but not for wind. Out west, away from those trees and hills, the wind can whip up something fast. I'd love to see you surf that kite that you posted in your photo.

• Not mentioned: ripstop vs taffeta. Taffetta feels sooo much better.

Sorry if this hurts your feelings. Someone has to tell the narcissists that there are other ways, people have different needs, and different skill sets, and apparently different budgets. I admit, it is nice to thump the man chest saying "I built this, I fix own, I make fire." But I would suggest there is also room to enjoy the challenge of learning from others and trying what others have done. Man is a social beast, hence the forum. I think we agree that DIY is very worthwhile and is something hangers should try if they can.
SnoreMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:38 AM   #682
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
Sorry if this hurts your feelings. Someone has to tell the narcissists that there are other ways, people have different needs, and different skill sets, and apparently different budgets. I admit, it is nice to thump the man chest saying "I built this, I fix own, I make fire." But I would suggest there is also room to enjoy the challenge of learning from others and trying what others have done. Man is a social beast, hence the forum. I think we agree that DIY is very worthwhile and is something hangers should try if they can.

Very well put. There is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak.

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #683
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,144
I took out my HH expedition asym yesterday to see if I remember how to assemble it, and found that the bug netting had seperated from one side of the hammock somehow, and was torn a bit as well. I am really scratching my head over this, because I thought I was pretty careful with this thing, considering it's cost.
Since I am Utah now, and the bug net is of little use, I decided to pack up my basic Byers parachute hammock, pair it with the asym tarp, and make it work together. It really didn't. Ah well, it kept the occasional sticks from falling on me in the night, so that's good, but it didn't do a thing to keep the wind off of me. Still, I managed to sleep a few hours last night anyway, despite the constant fear of bears, being run over by elk, or munched on by a cow. I am still not used to wilderness camping, clearly.

So, I guess I am looking for suggestions for another rain fly/tarp. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at making one, as I have recently become acquainted with a sewing machine for some other projects. I just don't know what I am looking for, but seeing as you have mentioned your tarp having better frills, I am curious what it is, and how it works.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:47 AM   #684
indr

Oddometer: 1,197
Decent custom tarps: http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/

Sometimes, the turnaround time can be long. Shoot him an email before ordering if you have a trip planned.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #685
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,282
[QUOTE=dentedvw;16313852]I took out my HH expedition asym yesterday to see if I remember how to assemble it, and found that the bug netting had seperated from one side of the hammock somehow, and was torn a bit as well. I am really scratching my head over this, because I thought I was pretty careful with this thing, considering it's cost.
QUOTE]

I bet if you contact HH, they would repair or replace it cheaply or maybe for free.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #686
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,186
Find Papa Smurf on hammockforums. He should be able to make you a nice one for not too much $$$. I have one of his for my WBBB 1.1 dbl.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #687
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
So, I guess I am looking for suggestions for another rain fly/tarp. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at making one, as I have recently become acquainted with a sewing machine for some other projects.
Read all about tarps here:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...splay.php?f=89

BTW ... real men call them 'thread injectors'
Old 07-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #688
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,282
I just got my gently used Hennessy Expedition today.

Even with n00bish fumbling, I was able to hang it up in five minutes in the backyard. I am still experimenting with how to lie in it comfortably, but I am looking forward to using it on a bike trip next week. I'll bring my tent too as a backup in case the hammock thing isn't for me.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:03 AM   #689
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,436
A new vacation hangout:

In Vienna, Austria they've created a gigantic 5-story "hangout spot" complete with hammocks to sprawl out in. The best part is the view. It's a gigantic Tower of Boobs.

http://www.archdaily.com/148401/flederhaus-heri-salli/
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #690
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Just got my WBBB 1.7 dbl. Tarp on the way.... UQ in the works. Can't wait to try it out~

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is online now   Reply With Quote