Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #691
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
I've been MC camping over the past few years in hammocks and have been enjoying the hell out of it. nothing comes close to the light and compact nature of these things.

Most of my hammocking has been in a Hennesey. First the standard Expedition and then the Ultra Light Weight backpacker.

The Henneseys always worked a charm, were bombproof, and always did the job without fail, despite high humidity, malaria infested mosquitoes and monsoon rains.

On a recent trip back to the states i picked up a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 double layer with an Edge tarp. I also finally switched from a pad to an 2/3 length Leigh down summer underquilt. I just had a few nights in the new set-up and here's some feedback from a Hennesey user of a couple years. The side access zip is a nice feature I did not have on my Henneseys. Though now Hennesey does offer this feature and is one I would willingly pay extra for over the standard Velcro opening in the bottom. Most of my nights out are quick overglorified bivoucs so daytime lounging was never really a concern of mine. However now having the access zipper I found it a worthwhile feature. It just adds a new dimension and even 15 minutes of lounging before fixing dinner is nice.

The Warbonnet storage shelf is a nice feature and you can keep a decent amount of stuff quite handy and yet out of the way. Now as far as comfort i did not notice any improvement with the Warbonnet over my Hennesey's. They are a bit more roomy which I guess if you're a large lad it might make a difference but for me i noticed no differences in comfort.

Here's the Blackbird set-up sans the tarp.

Now I never had issues sleeping with my Thermarest pads previously but I liked how small the 2/3 UQ's can pack down so went that direction and must say it is a bit more comfortable. Not that much so that I would forego a pad if i already owned it as the UQ's are not cheap but if money is not a concern the UQ's are nice and pack small.

People ask about gear storage when hammocking and here's what I do.

Simply a piece of cord with two slip knots tied to go around the buckles, then hang the boots upside down from the hammock. This keeps the rain, scorpions, snakes etc. out of the boots.

The helmet is just clipped with a small carabiner through the D-ring and riding gear is just draped over the edge of the hammock.

Closeup of the small biner

I never had issues with the small standard tarp that came with the Henneseys. Since I camp in the jungle wind is generally not an issue as the winds are blocked by the trees and rain always cames from above and never driven from the sides. However with the down UQ I had some concerns so went with the WB Edge tarp that is still compact but still larger than the standard Hennesy tarp. Once the tarp is deployed it protects the gear from rain.

Bottom line if you're on a budget I cannot see anything wrong with the Hennesy offerings as there were no real downsides in comparison to the Warbonnet hammocks other than a few things like the Shelf feature that were nice.

Bottom line the hammocks rock for when you want to go light and keep the packing to a minimum.

This package contains the Blackbird Hammock, Edge tarp, Leigh 2/3 length summer UQ, and a silk sleeping bag liner. Everything thats needed for a good night sleep in a tiny packable package.

A thought I just had. I've found no real reason for a double layer hammock. i thought because I am in Mosquito heaven I would need it to prevent them from biting through a single layer hammock. Realistically you will always be sleeping on top of something (pad or UQ) so you have protection there and no real need for a second layer. unless you want the layer to hold additional layers for warmth or pad storage. Food for thought.
Happy hanging.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #692
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,189
Excellent post with great info. Timely too, as I head out in a couple of days for two weeks of MC camping in the jungles of Western Montana. My WBBB 1.1dbl will be my first venture with a hammock instead of a tent.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #693
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,346
Great stuff team ftb! I have the WBBB 1.7 double, as I am a rather large lad, and like the extra layer for added padding in colder weather to go along with my under quilt. I'm stealing your boot strap idea as it looks like a good way to keep critters out and under cover in poor weather. Thanks for posting.

Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #694
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snr Moment View Post
Excellent post with great info. Timely too, as I head out in a couple of days for two weeks of MC camping in the jungles of Western Montana. My WBBB 1.1dbl will be my first venture with a hammock instead of a tent.
It sounds a perfect trip, two weeks of enjoyment in the backcountry, you're doing the right thing. Just keep in mind that the first couple nights with a hammock will be a bit of adjustment as you get things figured out. I reckon by the fourth night you'll be right into the swing of things with your new WBBB. Let us all know how it went for you on your return.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #695
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
Great stuff team ftb! I have the WBBB 1.7 double, as I am a rather large lad, and like the extra layer for added padding in colder weather to go along with my under quilt. I'm stealing your boot strap idea as it looks like a good way to keep critters out and under cover in poor weather. Thanks for posting.

A quick note on the boot hanging idea. keep in mind that my size 8 boots are about 10 pounds which can create a bit of weight on one end of your hammock. This may upset your balance a bit if you're picky. I'm not so its fine. If however you're a perfectionist get two bits of cord with the same slip knots and tie one boot per end of the hammock so as not to upset the perfectionists' perfect sense of balance and harmony. Maybe even more important if you have size 15 boots, haha. yep so far the boot strap idea has worked a charm. best of luck!!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #696
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
This may upset your balance a bit if you're picky!

....................................maybe a little.

Thanks

Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #697
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
A quick note on the boot hanging idea. keep in mind that my size 8 boots are about 10 pounds which can create a bit of weight on one end of your hammock. This may upset your balance a bit if you're picky. I'm not so its fine. If however you're a perfectionist get two bits of cord with the same slip knots and tie one boot per end of the hammock so as not to upset the perfectionists' perfect sense of balance and harmony. Maybe even more important if you have size 15 boots, haha. yep so far the boot strap idea has worked a charm. best of luck!!
It would help keep the odor feng shui right, too.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #698
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,425
great write up!!!!

The Henneseys always worked a charm, were bombproof, and always did the job without fail, despite high humidity, malaria infested mosquitoes and monsoon rains.

On a recent trip back to the states i picked up a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 double layer with an Edge tarp. I also finally switched from a pad to an 2/3 length Leigh down summer underquilt. I just had a few nights in the new set-up and here's some feedback from a Hennesey user of a couple years. The side access zip is a nice feature I did not have on my Henneseys. Though now Hennesey does offer this feature and is one I would willingly pay extra for over the standard Velcro opening in the bottom. Most of my nights out are quick overglorified bivoucs so daytime lounging was never really a concern of mine. However now having the access zipper I found it a worthwhile feature. It just adds a new dimension and even 15 minutes of lounging before fixing dinner is nice.

The Warbonnet storage shelf is a nice feature and you can keep a decent amount of stuff quite handy and yet out of the way. Now as far as comfort i did not notice any improvement with the Warbonnet over my Hennesey's. They are a bit more roomy which I guess if you're a large lad it might make a difference but for me i noticed no differences in comfort.

Here's the Blackbird set-up sans the tarp.

Now I never had issues sleeping with my Thermarest pads previously but I liked how small the 2/3 UQ's can pack down so went that direction and must say it is a bit more comfortable. Not that much so that I would forego a pad if i already owned it as the UQ's are not cheap but if money is not a concern the UQ's are nice and pack small.

People ask about gear storage when hammocking and here's what I do.

Simply a piece of cord with two slip knots tied to go around the buckles, then hang the boots upside down from the hammock. This keeps the rain, scorpions, snakes etc. out of the boots.

The helmet is just clipped with a small carabiner through the D-ring and riding gear is just draped over the edge of the hammock.

Closeup of the small biner

I never had issues with the small standard tarp that came with the Henneseys. Since I camp in the jungle wind is generally not an issue as the winds are blocked by the trees and rain always cames from above and never driven from the sides. However with the down UQ I had some concerns so went with the WB Edge tarp that is still compact but still larger than the standard Hennesy tarp. Once the tarp is deployed it protects the gear from rain.

Bottom line if you're on a budget I cannot see anything wrong with the Hennesy offerings as there were no real downsides in comparison to the Warbonnet hammocks other than a few things like the Shelf feature that were nice.

Bottom line the hammocks rock for when you want to go light and keep the packing to a minimum.

This package contains the Blackbird Hammock, Edge tarp, Leigh 2/3 length summer UQ, and a silk sleeping bag liner. Everything thats needed for a good night sleep in a tiny packable package.

A thought I just had. I've found no real reason for a double layer hammock. i thought because I am in Mosquito heaven I would need it to prevent them from biting through a single layer hammock. Realistically you will always be sleeping on top of something (pad or UQ) so you have protection there and no real need for a second layer. unless you want the layer to hold additional layers for warmth or pad storage. Food for thought.
Happy hanging.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #699
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
One last concern I have is what to do with riding gear in foul weather.
I wouldn't worry too much about panel pulls you'll be fine without them. For gear storage just buy one of the larger tarps stake it low so the rain can't blow in and put your gear under the hammock.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #700
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
Skeeter Beeter PRO! I got one.. comfy.. keeps damn 'keeters out!
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #701
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Anybody used this one: http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/frontline-hammock ????
I like the idea of double layer with velcro.
I'm choosing for a week already and can't decide.
Which hammocks are also available in Europe?
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:25 AM   #702
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
Anybody used this one: http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/frontline-hammock ????
I like the idea of double layer with velcro.
I'm choosing for a week already and can't decide.
Which hammocks are also available in Europe?
Try your question over at: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #703
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
sorry to piss you off but somebody needs to tell new hangers the way it is. these guys hiking the entire AT are concerned about size and weight. an ounce saved is necessary for them. but on a motorcycle , who cares how heavy it is when you talking about ounces.
Exactly what I thought too...until that first trip with my Kelty 12x12, synthetic (AHE New River) under quilt, synthetic mummy bag, and what other gear I could stuff into the Happy Trail Teton side cases. If the trip had been longer than two days it would have been a complicated disaster. The UQ alone took up 95% of my "big" side case and the tarp/hammock/mummy bag took up 2/3 of the other one.

I ordered two new tarps (AHE Shangri La and Toxaway) and found both of them combined are half the space of the Kelty. Then a Hammock Gear Incubator and Burrow top/bottom insulation. My new entire kit (including the hammock and BBO) takes half the space of just my old UQ. Big difference! Space and weight do matter...unless you have a furniture mover for a bike and don't care that it weighs just less than a D-8 Cat.

I prefer to travel with minimal stuff (but comfortable) because a heavy bike is no fun IMO. I also tend to like stuff put into the cases, not drapped all over my ride so smaller lighter is money well spent. YMMV

Law Dawg (ret) screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 09:31 AM
Law Dawg (ret) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #704
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiPerogi View Post
What would I get if I were to just cut to the chase and get the best set-up right away?

Please list everything remembering I'm completely new to this concept.
-Hammock itself
-under/over quilts?
-tarp?
-pad?
-suspension option?
-Carabiner and other options?

My info which should narrow things down a lot:
I'm 6'7" 275 pounds.
I'd primarily be using this stuff in the spring/summer in WestCoast Canada (mild often wet weather, and occasionally hot weather).
My kit;

Hammock: You are close to the max weight for a WBBB 1.1 dbl (Warbonnet Blackbird double layer) and might want to try a 1.7 dbl. I weigh in at 266 and am 6-3 and REALLY like the feel of the 1.1 dbl. The WBBB will fit your length but you are close to the limit. IMO

Under/over quilts (UQ TQ): I love my Hammock Gear Incubator UQ and Burrow TQ. You will need a custom wider Incubator and a custom longer/wider Burrow. Go ahead and bite the bullet for quality custom down insulation you will only regret the price once and then quickly forget it as you doze off in downy goodness.

Tarp: I have the Toxaway (and Shangri La) from Arrowhead Equipment (AHE) The Toxaway is my go to travel tarp. I want to add a set of Grizz Beaks for when stuff gets random windy/wet/cold but, properly set up the Toxaway works well for most stuff I plan to be in. I added a set of mesh tarp tubes from Mountain Goat so it will dry on the back of my bike and can be set up then stowed for those nights when I want to see the stars for about 10 seconds before going unconscious like I was shot with a tranquilizer dart.

Pad? : A nasty device designed to make you suffer more than you should in the hammock. Get to a set of trees with your full length UQ no matter what it takes. If your buddies want to go to places that a hammock will not work in...get new friends. If you must go to ground...have a pad to protect your kit and insulate you (your call which). If I have to go to ground it will be in a motel.

Suspension: I have the WB Adjustable Webbing. It is as simple and moron proof (real important with me) as it comes. If it were on my back Whoopie slings would be my choice for weight...though there is really not THAT much difference.

Carabiner and other options: Ah and here the Devil is in the details. You will gather a bunch of "stuff" while sorting out your set up kit. I use several Nite-Ize 'biners for tarp etc and a pair of climbing 'biners to mount the hammock with the Adjustable Webbing. Tarp set up is where stuff gets fun! I have a continuous ridgeline (one rope that runs from tree to tree and the tarp attaches via 'biners and Prussik loops) with random tie out lines. But then , I have found that my moto bungie cords are the go to set up more times than not. Nite-Ize 5mm adjustable bungies are my favorite for tree attachment (sometimes with AHE tree straps to add length) and generic bungies work well for ground attachment. Watch your eyes when setting these up and don't make them too tight...there is a big learning curve for all of this stuff but it is worth it. Ground stakes; well with the WBBB and tarp you will need at least 6 but more is better.

Hope that muddies up yout thinking a bit. I recomment you get over the Hammock Forums and do some research. Once you have made your purchases I REALLY recommend you work out your set up in the backyard until it feels right to you. Then when you go to the woods you can begin to develop the eye and muscle memory for random tree spacing...I am close but still sorting it out when tree hanging in the piney woods. Enjoy!

Oh and YMMV on all of my suggestions...they work for me though.

Law Dawg (ret) screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 09:40 AM
Law Dawg (ret) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:18 AM   #705
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
Exactly what I thought too...until that first trip with my Kelty 12x12, synthetic (AHE New River) under quilt, synthetic mummy bag, and what other gear I could stuff into the Happy Trail Teton side cases. If the trip had been longer than two days it would have been a complicated disaster. The UQ alone took up 95% of my "big" side case and the tarp/hammock/mummy bag took up 2/3 of the other one.

I ordered two new tarps (AHE Shangri La and Toxaway) and found both of them combined are half the space of the Kelty. Then a Hammock Gear Incubator and Burrow top/bottom insulation. My new entire kit (including the hammock and BBO) takes half the space of just my old UQ. Big difference! Space and weight do matter...unless you have a furniture mover for a bike and don't care that it weighs just less than a D-8 Cat.

I prefer to travel with minimal stuff (but comfortable) because a heavy bike is no fun IMO. I also tend to like stuff put into the cases, not drapped all over my ride so smaller lighter is money well spent. YMMV
+1

Weight and volume does matter.

If you pay attention to the ounces, the pounds will take care of themselves.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote