Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 03:01 AM   #781
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
so even in the jungle it gets cool enough that you need the extra insulation under you?
Dan - That is most likely determined on how you sleep, comfort wise. Some people sleep very warm and don't need much insulation. My girly 140 pounds needs some insulation, even over here. The days are usually very warm with temps between 70-100 F, however at night it can get down to the 40's in the hills during winter. Last November I did a trip and packed minimal and only took a hammock with no pad or UQ. It got really cool and I ended up sleeping inside the bare hammock with long pants, T-shirt and rain jacket. I never got sleep that night as the cool breeze under the hammock froze my nuts off. Realistically it was not that cold (most llikely about upper 40's low 50's) but all three of us packed light for bivoucs and nobody got any sleep because of the cold.

I did an experiment after that trip just hanging from my house in winter to determine how much of a difference under insulation made. With a pad under me I was comfortable in long pants and a long sleeve thermal top. Once the pad was taken away i could not keep warm even after adding rain pants, rain jacket, and baraclava. For me the under insulation made a huge difference. At the time I was using a huge air Thermorest pad in the hammocks and it worked a charm for keeping warm and i was comfortable sleeping on it.

That green thing attached to the GL bag was my ancient Thermo-rest. It took up too much space but worked fine. When back in the states I picked up a 3/4 length summer Underquilt and it packs to nothing.

Sadly for my skinny arse I needed the insulation to keep warm even in mild temps. Others may fare better and be warm enough just in clothes inside a bare hammock. I was hoping that would work for me but alas, it did not.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #782
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Like was posted a few back with a pad and sleeping bag mozzies are no issue on a single layer. Dual sporting aside I have never seen a larger group of OTT, anal gear whores than hammockers!!
All this talk about anal gear is making me nervous.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #783
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
That's not nervousness, that's excitement you feel.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #784
SnoreMachine
ɹǝdɯɐɔ ʞɔoɯɯɐɥ

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
Lol

Everyone has their hangups.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #785
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Hey Justin! We sure don't have any 40-50's here! I guess we are not that far away from each other longitudilally but I'm at about 2 degeress north of the equator and I think you're about 19 N? Never really thought about it but I'm sure that makes a difference. Mentioning winter made me think about it... we don't get "winter" here!

It's 5:15 am right now or about the coldest time of the day and it is 76F with 94% humidity. The hottest day of the year at this exact same time might be 80F and the coldest day of the year might be 72F - I did see 21C once about 5 years ago

The coldest I'll probably experience here is 60F at 4,000' elevation. The bulk of my camping it'll be 70-75F at the coldest part of the night; 75-80 when I bed down.
This may sound like a silly question but anyone think I would regret getting a double layer hammock from the standpoint of it being too hot/holding too much heat? I like the idea of a double layer to be able to slide insulation between the layers when/if I do need it. As well as possibly another mosquito barrier layer.

And while I'm posting 2 more stupid questions:

Any of you guys hang really high like 8' off the ground so the wild boars can't get ya and the tigers have to work for it? Maybe slide down a rope into your hammock from above

Technical question: I think I might have just figured out what the word a symetrical means - that the hammock is cut in such a way that you can lay flat diagnolaly? I noticed most of the Henesy's say they are Asym... if the other guys don't say they are does that mean they are not? If they are not does that mean you need to lie in the straight like a banana?

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
The days are usually very warm with temps between 70-100 F, however at night it can get down to the 40's in the hills during winter. Last November I did a trip and packed minimal and only took a hammock with no pad or UQ.

rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #786
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,643
[QUOTE=rickypanecatyl;16771979]Hey Justin! We sure don't have any 40-50's here! I guess we are not that far away from each other longitudilally but I'm at about 2 degeress north of the equator and I think you're about 19 N?

Hey there Ricky!! I live in Chiang Mai which is a valley at the base of hills, it's 18N but most of my camping is farther North and in the hills.

It's 5:15 am right now or about the coldest time of the day and it is 76F with 94% humidity.

Our temps are pretty similiar it seems. Todays low is 75F high is 91F with a 79% humidity level. I'm surprised our weather is so similiar. The 40-50F temps I'm tlaking about are only for brief cold snaps during the winter but i seem to end out in them.

This may sound like a silly question but anyone think I would regret getting a double layer hammock from the standpoint of it being too hot/holding too much heat? I like the idea of a double layer to be able to slide insulation between the layers when/if I do need it. As well as possibly another mosquito barrier layer.

Ricky I don't think it'll be a problem but the real answer to that question is are you a warm or cool sleeper? I sleep cold and to give you an idea even with nightime temps in the 70's I have a light blanket draped over my legs and sometimes my waist while sleeping in the bed.

Any of you guys hang really high like 8' off the ground so the wild boars can't get ya and the tigers have to work for it? Maybe slide down a rope into your hammock from above

You're a gamer. Too much problem for me if I gotta take a nighttime whiz and have to get back in the hammock. Luckily the only larger mammals to disturb me in the hammock so far was a domestic buffalo being nosy, still scared the shit outta me though and some otters in the moutains of Cambodia. No tigers yet luckily. But check out this pic o friend of mine took while riding and camping near the Thai/Burma border.

not a small tabby cat you wanna play with thats for sure, and thats not even a full grown one by the size of it. He mentioned that there was a stench in the air of decaying meat from a kill the tiger must have made. He decided not to camp in this area, haha. Hanging 8 feet in the air won't be any challenge for a tiger though but go for it if it makes you feel better. What a way to exit life, a pinata for a tiger.

Good luck in your hammock search Ricky.

QUOTE]
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #787
mbfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
2011 Eureka Chrysalis hammock

Anyone suggest a vendor for the latest Chrysalis hammock? It's currently suggested retail prices are $139 for the hammock, $89 for the camper's sleeve and $79 for the flarp (sold out of flarps). I've called a bunch of stores from google searching but so far any sales and promotions were for closing out old stock and didn't have the current model.
Suggestions anyone? Or am I going to be stuck at full retail if I go this route. And still need a flippin flarp....
thanks
mike
mbfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #788
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,919
you won't find the new version on sale anywhere and I'd say all the older versions are probably gone too.at the sellout pricing they had.

If you buy from Heldson's site you'll get one with black straps while the Eureka ones have orange. Black is better, especially if you get the green camper shell.

http://helsdonoutdoors.com/

You can do better on tarps than the Flarp.

OES makes nice ones. I've got a black Maccat Ultra ( looks like it's now called the Four Season) known as a Blackcat. Beautiful.

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/
Old 09-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #789
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfj40 View Post
...Chrysalis hammock?

...$89 for the camper's sleeve...
Wutz a "camper's sleeve" and what would it do that a good tarp and insulation will not? Inquiring minds...
Old 09-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #790
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

The sleeve acts like the weather shield on the Clark's so you can go topless or have additional coverage with a big tarp if you want. The sleeve makes a nice fast and light setup and tear down. The tarp is fine for longer stays or bad weather and you can combine both for storms or even winter hammocking. I love options!

I've practiced going to ground with this setup and my Neoair pad and as long as you can find enough support to hold the sleeve above you, say from the bike to a picnic table or small tree or whatever it works fine. Just like a solo tent.
Attached Images

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 09-03-2011 at 11:25 AM
Dan Alexander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #791
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,816
Tenth wonder

Been checking out hammocks & found these 'tenth wonder' - the green hornet can be used as a tent too and bla bla bla...... check out the web site............

..............anyone got any experience with these - if so can two people use one ?

I want to take my 10 year old daughter but think it be uncomfortable in a hammock for two - advice SVP

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TW-Hornet-...t_15143wt_1047

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:24 AM   #792
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14WhEIzK9YQ
Old 09-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #793
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

you mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BlYEeON_Ts
Old 09-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #794
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
That's a pretty big paw print there Justin!

So shipping here is slow and unreliable but I want to try hammock camping out this weekend. The best hammock I could find at "brick and mortar" store looks to be this one so I think I"ll get it:

http://www.ticketothemoon.com/en/parachute-hammock.html

It's the ticket to the moon double parachute hammock.

So any tips you guys can give me how to set it up right?

How far should the trees be apart?

If I had a perfectly horizontal ridge line how far should the center of the hammock hang underneath it? (Or another words how tight/loose?)

It doesn't come with a mosquito net or tarp. I've got mosquito net. I'm thinking after I set it up I'll just run out and get one of those cheap blue tarps to see how I like it.
So should I just tie a horizontal (ridge?) line between the same two trees and drape the mosquito netting and then the tarp over that?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #795
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
You may be better asking this on hammock forums in the sub forum section for TTTM hammocks.
Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote