Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #1186
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
last friday afternoon, left detroit headed due west, turned north at the eastern corner of idaho, and headed just into canada. here are a few of my stealth hammocking.

there has been talk of how to tie the hammock to your anchors, and what is simplified, two pics here show my easy tie up, the thicker blue rope is tied to itself, in a big loop, looped through the end of the hammock, and the white rope has a loop on the end, and the other end of the white rope is threaded through the white loop and onto the blue rope, they are not permanently tied to each other, and can be worked loose with my fingers, should i need to, white rope is about 3 meters long. the white rope thickness is important, too thin and working out any knots is next impossible, to thick, and the slip knots wont hold very well, i think it was 5mm, i tried 3mm before but found the rope to elasticity and not strong enough. depending on my anchor, i will either go once around or twice around to help minimize the rope walking down while your in the hammock, and for knots, i prefer a larger diameter rope through the hammock end, run your rope around your anchor and back once through the blue rope, one simple slip knot, pulled snug (the kind that you can pull the single end of the rope, and it pulls the hoop through the knot) and then with the first slip knot, use the hoop to make another slip knot, and pull it snug. and thats it, i have weight tested this way with 400lbs, never ever ever had a problem with these two simple knots, and the next morning when your packing up, to undo the knots, first pull the single hoop to release the first knot, then the single end of the rope, both knots simply pull free. no need any carbiners, or metal loops, or what not, everything is attached to the hammock, nothing to leave behind
(hope my explanation is understandable)

first slip knot

second slip knot
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #1187
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Ropes are not favored in the hammock community- too tough on the tree. could lead to campgrounds frowning on hammock campers....this has been largely overcome thru the adoption of straps. In fact, some state parks began accepting hammock campers
After this distinction was pointed out to them.

What I've settled on is a strap with a sewn loop on the end- biner attached thru this loop. Throw the biner around the tree at the proper height and attach it to the strap- pull it tight. Further down the strap is a set of rings like you'd find on a m/c helmet strap- only larger- this is your adjustment point. The other end is attached to the hammock. Nothing can be left behind- minimum hardware- fully adjustable- kind to the trees.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #1188
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Ropes are not favored in the hammock community- too tough on the tree. could lead to campgrounds frowning on hammock campers....this has been largely overcome thru the adoption of straps. In fact, some state parks began accepting hammock campers
After this distinction was pointed out to them.

What I've settled on is a strap with a sewn loop on the end- biner attached thru this loop. Throw the biner around the tree at the proper height and attach it to the strap- pull it tight. Further down the strap is a set of rings like you'd find on a m/c helmet strap- only larger- this is your adjustment point. The other end is attached to the hammock. Nothing can be left behind- minimum hardware- fully adjustable- kind to the trees.

So serious question - can ropes really do long term harm to a tree or is just cosmetic?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #1189
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

A lot of load on that cross section of material- moving. Yeah, there's a sound reason why straps are favored. They also hold a lot better, pack smaller, never any jammed knots to deal with.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #1190
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ropes are not favored in the hammock community- too tough on the tree..
id like to see where the study has been done to prove that running a rope around a tree for a night or two, is going to cause enough "damage" to be too tough on it. sure, if i tied a tight rope around the tree and left it there, say for several years, it could be dangerous to the tree, but simply running a rope around the trunk isnt going to be a problem,
Old 05-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #1191
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,791
The trees trap argument goes like this: trees feed thru the thin layer just below the bark. A rope consentrates the force from your hammock ( which is multiplied dues to the small contact patch) and it compresses this layer. Some trees have a thick layer but some do not. You risk damage to the tree unless you take measures to spread the force out by using straps.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #1192
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

No study to support using something that does a better job in every visible way, but without a study you have determined that ropes are doing no harm?

Brilliant self-serving argument you've concocted for yourself. Rock on!

Old 05-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #1193
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
before i wrote my last reply, i asked an expert if i my thinking was wrong or not, sorry to say, my reply wasnt a "self-serving argument"
ok, i assumed that people here were not experts on trees, so i asked an individual who was, if my ropes would damage a tree, and his reply was, "unless i was running a rope around a small (young tree) to which my force would bend it over, or a newly planted tree, to again, i might run the risk of causing to much force before the roots have a chance to take hold, assuming that the rope is around the tree for a short time (ie a few days, to maybe a week or more) then there aside from perhaps a bit of visual damage, there would be no "damage" to the tree" he did go on to say, what would hurt the tree, is if i tied my rope around the trunk and left it there for several years.

my original remarks were based on reading replies about the complexity of how to tie a hammock up, if you dont like what i have to say, thats fine, but to say that my actions are damaging something, based on what a "community thinks", if there is proof that my actions are indeed damaging, then i will apology and step back, but so far, it seems that everything is based on peoples opinion, to which who can be wrong?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #1194
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
http://www.backcountryattitude.com/p...pe_damage.html

Why not just use a strap and avoid any possible issues with the tree itself or a park ranger who may not like it?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #1195
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,398
Laugh

no reason to insult anyone... I apologize for Jabba.

I did go to a camp ground in Maine years ago where they did not let anyone tie roaps to trees (it was around Freeport LL bean area) . so no hammock camping there... I had to find another camp ground.

Out in the boonies... roaps.. I see no big deal. but in a park one could wear it down...

some roap rules are a result of clothes lines blocking the senery... and roaps swings left hign in the trees...IMO...

Quote:

Old 05-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #1196
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,398
Laugh sweet!!! nice setup!!

I like it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sol View Post
last friday afternoon, left detroit headed due west, turned north at the eastern corner of idaho, and headed just into canada. here are a few of my stealth hammocking.

]
Old 05-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #1197
Rev Kiecker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
IBA #201

INTERNATIONAL TAXI DRIVER REPORTING FOR DUTY.
Rev Kiecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #1198
DGraham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
If you really want to leave no trace, sell your motorbike.
Joking aside, just how much does it cost to get straps and replace your ropes? It's worth it if for no other reason that to avoid these conversations with fellow campers.
DGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #1199
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
some trees have very fragile bark...the pines in the everglades, palms, and birch for example. even the straps scrape off a bit of bark from these trees...ropes imho would do a lot more damage.
i can see no reason not to use straps...no real downside i can think of.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #1200
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

"visual damage" = damage. Particularly in the eyes of a campground attendant. Find one manufacturer of camping hammocks who recommends ropes over straps- or one thread on hammockforums.net that endorses the use of ropes around trees? Your method has the potential to make it more difficult for other hammock campers to find hammock friendly camping. Please reconsider.