User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #1276
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Land....
What were the temps for that haing. That seems to be alot of underquilt !
OK maybe the 100+ temps around here just have me sensitive to the heat, and thinking its hot every where.
Hairsmith
hairsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #1277
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairsmith View Post
Land....
What were the temps for that haing. That seems to be alot of underquilt !
OK maybe the 100+ temps around here just have me sensitive to the heat, and thinking its hot every where.
Oh, it's definitely a lot of quilt! It's a HammockGear Winter Incubator rated at 0*F. It's the quilt I always carry. I'd much rather vent the ends when the quilt is too warm than shiver because I don't have enough quilt.

The overnight temp for that hang was probably in the low 60s or so -- maybe a tad cooler. I used a top quilt made from a poncho liner. I was very comfortable (and I didn't vent the underquilt; it was cinched up).

When I head to the Rockies next month, I'll take my overkill down topquilt, too. It gets cold at night in some of those places!

I hear you on the heat. The weekend around here is going to be 103-105, so LandWife and I are heading to South Florida, where the forecast calls for it to be cooler.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #1278
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land View Post
I hung last night at Deal's Gap.

It was a beautiful, clear night, so I left the tarp in its snakeskins.

I grabbed the Warbonnet Traveler by mistake when I was packing. Meant to get the Blackbird with its bug net. The skeeters didn't bother me through the night, but they were around when I was setting up and striking camp.

Chris
Do you typically use a gear hammock or no?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #1279
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Do you typically use a gear hammock or no?
I usually carry a Warbonnet Blackbird to sleep in and an ENO Doublenest or the Warbonnet Traveler as a lounging hammock/gear hammock. (I like having an open hammock easily accessible for hammocking emergencies.)

I wanted to do this little trip with just my tankbag and my Kriega US40 luggage system, so I didn't carry a second hammock. (Fortunately, there weren't any hammocking emergencies.) My Traveler does have the GargoyleGear hammock footrest that doubles as a wee gear hammock. It's that coyote brown thing near the ridgeline. Neat little hammock farkle.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #1280
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Chris last month in Yellowstone we used our 0* quilts and it got down in the 20's with snow. Don't be surprised if you need it. I've never carried a heavy overbuilt but I'm always guilty of carrying WAY too much gear. I like the idea of carrying the heavier quilt and venting it. I may have to give that a try.
leeinmemphis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #1281
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151

It was definitely a "no tent" zone. Not too cold, not many bugs. We don't have underquilts, but would sure like some. Sometime around 3am, it got wicked windy though, and it was like sleeping in a raft on the sea for a while.
The orange line is how I got into and out of my hammock, my wife got the lower one that you can just climb into normally.
Top is ENO doublenest, bottom is an older Byers something or another. I don't like it because of the strings, and it gets tangled easily, but it's light and sturdy anyway.

Location is above Lisa Falls, below Twin Peak in Little Cottonwood Canyon, Utah.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #1282
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post

That's an awesome hammock spot!
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #1283
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post

Nice!

6USMC6, I officially blame you for getting me into a new hobby. I had a great 3+ hour nap in an ENO doublenest and now I'm looking into Warbonnets, rainflys, and bug nets. I highly doubt my tent will ever be on my bike again.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #1284
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,391
Cool Adam! I'll take full responsibility!

I'm going to put the tent in the Flea Market when I get back from Superior and buy another hammock.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #1285
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

well this week I have been riding the Blue Ridge and took along a tent instead of my hammock set up and what a mistake that was!!!!! It's been years since I had slept in a tent and now remember why. I think I'm going to put my ground gear up for sale as well. I was REALLY missing my black bird.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #1286
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
13 nights in the hennesy on the TET...from Florida to CT...ill never pack a tent again unless im in the desert or above the treeline

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #1287
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

this summer we took a car camping trip out west and I had changed to a structural ridge line. After a few tries I've decided to go back to no SRL for the tarp. For the past couple of years I was just going from the eye on the tarp to a line around the tree secured with a figure 9. For me that's much quicker and simpler plus I don't have to fight with un tangling the stupid ridge line every time I put it up.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #1288
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
this summer we took a car camping trip out west and I had changed to a structural ridge line. After a few tries I've decided to go back to no SRL for the tarp. For the past couple of years I was just going from the eye on the tarp to a line around the tree secured with a figure 9. For me that's much quicker and simpler plus I don't have to fight with un tangling the stupid ridge line every time I put it up.
Do you mean continuous ridge line? I thought the structural ridge line was to keep the sag in the hammock consistent. Just curious...
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #1289
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,456
WOW!!! great hang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-Gadget View Post
There was a smaller trunk behind the big tree, and I had to double the standard straps to make them short enough.

I have camped here before, so knew what was required, but as the trees in Tasmania tend to be biggish, I have another two sets of straps with me, the biggest being 92", from memory, so I could have done the big tree, If I had to.

Not Tasmania, Victoria and the Murray river

NSW and the Lachlan river, long straps required due to tree spacing.

Queensland.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #1290
schnutzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Budget misquito solutions?
What have yall come up with to keep the bugs at bay while in a hammock?
when i first tried out hammock camping many years ago, $25 got me a hammock with built in netting conopy thing which was great. but now that same set up seems to be going for $70 give or take. its not that im a cheap ass, i just dont want to spend a bunch of money atm...

2012 Suzuki TU250x
schnutzy is offline   Reply With Quote