Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #1306
kingbee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
From a recent camping trip- my wife is in the green one, daughter in the purple one. Both DIY by me, the bug nets too. And the whoopies, and the tree straps- everything but the tarp.

Used tulle for daughter's bug net, but don't advise it- proved too flimsy. Noseeum netting is worth the $.

Overall view of campsite:

I slept in the HHED

It's possible to make a hammock with bug net and suspension for under $70- I have less than that into mine. Of course, that doesn't include the tarp, but there are cheap solutions there as well if you're not concerned with weight or bulk.

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:29 AM   #1307
K0m4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
You guys are hard core!! Burning ROCKS for a camp fire
Yup, nothing like a lava stream to drive that chill of the night away..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
One way to tighten up the uq suspension is to hang it from a triangle of fabric or cord (triangle thingies). Do you have a structural ridgeline on your hammock? You could add a couple of mitten hooks to a cord and Prussia it onto the srl and do the same. Then there is a Dutchware quilt hook but you will have to look those up on hammockforums.net
I saw those triangle thingies on the forum, might try it. Right now I just have a bunch of shock cords that came with it attaching not only along the sides, but in the middle of the short ends - I think it's pulling the middle ones taught is what raises the fabric. I've hooked them all to the srl so far basically in the same place, I think this is the source of it. I'll try your suggestions, thanks!
Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #1308
astrolump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477

love my hennesy

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #1309
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 991
BMW Kurt - is it just me, or is that hammock HUGE?

Before I reinvent a wheel, I wanted to check first and see if anyone here wanting a fan to sleep at night has rigged up a way to hang their radiator fan from their ridge line?

If possible here in the jungles of Malaysia I try to get some elevation for camping but just above sea level its often 88F with 95% humidity at night and I'd love to have a fan. Those coleman type camping fan running on D batteries seem pretty bulky and I doubt would have the punch of my radiators fan running on the bike battery.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #1310
astrolump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
BMW Kurt - is it just me, or is that hammock HUGE?

Before I reinvent a wheel, I wanted to check first and see if anyone here wanting a fan to sleep at night has rigged up a way to hang their radiator fan from their ridge line?

If possible here in the jungles of Malaysia I try to get some elevation for camping but just above sea level its often 88F with 95% humidity at night and I'd love to have a fan. Those coleman type camping fan running on D batteries seem pretty bulky and I doubt would have the punch of my radiators fan running on the bike battery.
i think i would look for a "cubicle" fan...like you would have on your desk if you worked in a cubicle.....they run on AA batts...you could probably rig up something that would charge a battery while you ride...then you could cool down at night....your radiator fan would probably be pretty loud in a hammock....and would probabaly draw enough juice to drain your battery by morning if you accidentally left t on.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #1311
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Revelation X top quilt

Went on a three day ride to install a hydro-electric wheel into a remote village so they can generate electricity in Northwestern Thailand.

The dirt portion was a bit mucky as its monsoon season over here now.

Pure slodge for 30KM that had three bikes left on the trail and the 4WD support trucks bringing in the hydro gear and supplies digging out more than a few times. It was 9;30 PM by the time everyone made it to the village.

Good news was that we managed to get the waterwheel installed for the village. A local tech college donated their time and efforts to getting it done.

Great bunch of kids. Keep in mind thats two liters of moonshine whiskey in the water bottles and not water to fight off dehydration. After all we gotta have fun when working right?

After hearing about moonshine whiskey only in the Dukes of Hazzard and Deliverence its nice to see it in the real world being downed..................on job sights no less haha.

As the token white dude on the trip I had to make sure it was up to spec wistfully thinking of Daisy Duke.

On more hammocky news I got to break out the WBBB for a couple nights holed up in the village school shelter.

No tarp needed I thought but the winds howled at night. Good news was I was able to test out my new down top quilt.

It's a 40F top quilt that worked very well. usually I just sleep in my clothes with an UQ and no TQ. However after freezing on some cold nights in the mountains during the cold months I broke down and got a TQ. The above picture is of the Revelation X quilt made by Enlightened Equipment.

http://enlightenedequipment.com/revelationx.html

It worked very well and was pleased with it's performance as I slept soundly. apparently I sleep very cold and this will keep me from freezing in Northern Lao during the cold season.

I'm always concerned with pack ability of my sleep system as I ride mostly off road and DS. Here is my WBBB 1.0 double layer, Edge tarp, and top and bottom quilts. its packs into a waterproof compression sack that compresses down to 9" wide

by 8" tall

it would compress smaller (probably 1 inch less in height) however the straps ran out of compression adjustment. This setup packs into my Giantloop bag with no issues.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #1312
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
very cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Went on a three day ride to install a hydro-electric wheel into a remote village so they can generate electricity in Northwestern Thailand......

After hearing about moonshine whiskey only in the Dukes of Hazzard and Deliverence its nice to see it in the real world being downed..................on job sights no less haha.
That is a very inspiring trip for more desk-bound adventurers. Can you post more pics of the water-powered generator?
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #1313
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

No tarp needed I thought but the winds howled at night. Good news was I was able to test out my new down top quilt.
Very cool! No pun intended!

A tarp will help break the wind. But under a deck or a open structure, a blanket or the tarp draped over the ridge line and covering the bug net will help in a pinch. Warbonnet makes a travel sock that works well. Its a fabric version of the travel net. You might be able to get someone there to sew one up cheap.

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/travelers.php

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #1314
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
That is a very inspiring trip for more desk-bound adventurers. Can you post more pics of the water-powered generator?
Sadly the only one I got is this one before the camera battery packed it in.

I know nothing about electricity but I'm assuming they won't be lighting up their billboards, hi watt surround sound and 53" TV's with this little wheel. I'm guessing it'll put out enough watts to fire up about two light bulbs. I hope I'm wrong and it'll power more but my faith in the Thai efforts of reasoning are somewhat cynical. Please tell me I'm incorrect and that dinky wheel, once churning will power more than just a 60 watt light bulb or two?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #1315
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Very cool! No pun intended!

A tarp will help break the wind. But under a deck or a open structure, a blanket or the tarp draped over the ridge line and covering the bug net will help in a pinch. Warbonnet makes a travel sock that works well. Its a fabric version of the travel net. You might be able to get someone there to sew one up cheap.

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/travelers.php

daryl
Thanks for the tips. Had the tarp but just did not put it up, luckily that TQ kept me warm and snug.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #1316
Kingsized
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
This is my Speer with underquilt and a custom sil tarp.

Not sure which hammock this is. I have several.

My daughter enjoying the Clark NX-250 with Z-liner.

Here are three. Clark NX-250, Speer and either a Warbonnet Blackbird double 1.1 or a Clark TX-150.
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #1317
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
+1 Justin!

Didn't think it was appropriate to ask in the hammock thread till I saw I wasn't the only one curious.

We've just been given 7 acres of land for a school/shelter dee in the jungle and FAR from the grid/electricity etc. There's a small river/big creek running thru the property and so I'm uber curious as to how to get power/how much power we could get from a dam/turbine.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #1318
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Congrats on the opportunity and land Ricky. Best of luck with your efforts going forward with its development.

As stated in my earlier post I have no knowledge of the power generation capabilities of the wheel. These remote villages also use solar panels as an electricity generator when they can scrape up enough funds. The issue for this village is that the river does not flow year round and some months during the monsoon season there is not enough sun to keep the solar panels charged up. Remember it can rain for two weeks straight at times.

Most of these villages house people very accustomed to living off the land, and the difficult life that precludes. It amazes me to see how little one needs to survive, not for a few days like I did but for a lifetime like a lot of these people. Their diets are simplistic and the food quantities ingested are minimal. Something that most of us find abysmal. On the beginning of the track I came across this lady.

Most of these hill tribe people are reluctant to take pictures and have much interaction. Maybe due to the persecuted history they have had through their history, first by the Burmese government and followed by the Thai government. I opened up a dialog with this gal by purchasing a pumpkin from her that I then had to ride with between my legs to the next person I came across and donate it to them.

Carrying seven pumpkins on your forehead is not a trivial load but this 60 something year old Karen hill tribe gal has no issues.

A lot different commute to work than me back home on the freeways to work.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #1319
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,114
Does anyone one here own or has anyone used the Exped Ergo Hammock Combi?

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #1320
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Does anyone one here own or has anyone used the Exped Ergo Hammock Combi?

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf

I got one and had to send it back because it was way too short... and i'm only 5'-8" seemed to me it was made more for a child.

very nice design and i would have loved to keep it had it just been long enough for an adult.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote