Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #1396
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Our new place is a 3/4 acre but unfortunately only trees I have are two big pin oaks (3'-4' diameter) about 50' apart.

Is my only option to build a stand, or have you guys ever rigged up chains or anything like that to trees this far apart?
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #1397
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
Our new place is a 3/4 acre but unfortunately only trees I have are two big pin oaks (3'-4' diameter) about 50' apart.

Is my only option to build a stand, or have you guys ever rigged up chains or anything like that to trees this far apart?
Any branches far apart enough in the same tree to hang? For one side I'd be tempted to put 2 eye bolts 180 deg apart from each other have an extra long piece of webbing to a caribeaner clip in the first side opposite to where I wanted it to come out and then wrap the webbing 540 degrees around the tree with a beaner to the 2nd eye bolt to keep it from dropping down and then somewhere to hook in 4' later or so...
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #1398
kingbee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Take a look at this guy's idea. Should work for you and it's cheap, quick, and non-permanent.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=btY0ruhThP0

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #1399
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:

you could sink one post in the ground the proper distance form one of the trees....then just put a bird feeder on top and done.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #1400
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,278
Quote:

I had a similar problem so I used one tree and set a 6x6 post at about 22 ft and set up done...........

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #1401
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Any branches far apart enough in the same tree to hang? For one side I'd be tempted to put 2 eye bolts 180 deg apart from each other have an extra long piece of webbing to a caribeaner clip in the first side opposite to where I wanted it to come out and then wrap the webbing 540 degrees around the tree with a beaner to the 2nd eye bolt to keep it from dropping down and then somewhere to hook in 4' later or so...
I'm having a very difficult time visualizing what you're asking here. But it sounds intersting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbee View Post
Take a look at this guy's idea. Should work for you and it's cheap, quick, and non-permanent.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=btY0ruhThP0

Cheers,
Dave
That could work, thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
you could sink one post in the ground the proper distance form one of the trees....then just put a bird feeder on top and done.
Yeah, that's the first thought I had but trying to avoid it just because it would look somewhat awkward in our situation. Thanks though.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #1402
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:

I've hung on trees at least 30' apart. I put the straps as high as I could get (probably 7' or so) and let my ridgeline work for me. You won't get the proper angle, but a structural ridgeline will give the the hammock the right sag. Could use a ladder to get even higher up the tree and if the trees have any branches low enough you could use them to shorten the hang.

A quick calc in CAD says to get the appropriate 30 degrees at 50' separation you'd have to hang the straps 15.5' up the tree.. You could get away with less with a structural ridge line.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #1403
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
yep...and forget the eyebolts! eyebolts give us a bad reputation. just say no!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #1404
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I've hung on trees at least 30' apart. I put the straps as high as I could get (probably 7' or so) and let my ridgeline work for me. You won't get the proper angle, but a structural ridgeline will give the the hammock the right sag. Could use a ladder to get even higher up the tree and if the trees have any branches low enough you could use them to shorten the hang.

A quick calc in CAD says to get the appropriate 30 degrees at 50' separation you'd have to hang the straps 15.5' up the tree.. You could get away with less with a structural ridge line.

I have a wbbb, so it has a ridge line built in. I could get a ladder and get pretty high up the trunk, but I honestly have no idea what i'd use that is that long....
Old 02-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #1405
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
I have a wbbb, so it has a ridge line built in. I could get a ladder and get pretty high up the trunk, but I honestly have no idea what i'd use that is that long....
I think I've almost got it covered in my normal setup. I have an 11 foot hammock' two 6 foot whoopie slings and two 12 foot webbing pieces. Granted that's 47 feet without going around a tree.

Just add more webbing. . it'll be an interesting hang to say the least.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #1406
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
i must welcome myself to the hammock club. i picked up an emo doublenest from moosjaw this weekend. the better half gave me a 50$ gift card for valentines day. i have always wanted one but could never justify the money. next on the list is a bug net. all i need to do now is get it all set up and figure out all the small details.
now back to regular programming...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #1407
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
...the better half gave me a 50$ gift card for valentines day. i have always wanted one but could never justify the money. next on the list is a bug net. all i need to do now is get it all set up and figure out all the small details.
What were you planning to use for insulation? If the comfort bug bites, the expense of the hammock and bug net will be nothing compared to underquilts/topquilts/etc.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #1408
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
What were you planning to use for insulation? If the comfort bug bites, the expense of the hammock and bug net will be nothing compared to underquilts/topquilts/etc.
I'm not new to camping. I've got a couple of bags for different temps. Are the under quilts better? I'm not going all in just yet. I figured I would try out what works and go from there. My tent packs pretty small so if all this hammock gear gets to be too much it will just be a summer hang out spot...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #1409
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,849
I have a hammock on the way as well and it'll be my first time coming within 10 ft of one.

I'm gonna try it a few times to see if I'll like it for solo motorcycle camping. This one comes with a no-see-um bug net, and I'll be using a BA down sleeping bag. Still looking at options for an underquilt.
I'm really looking forward to trying it out and I've spent a few hrs on the hammock forum the last few days. I'm gonna try to ignore that place until I get a little more experience, as they talk about dutch clips, whoopie slings, amsteel, and a host of other things that I have no idea what they mean.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #1410
Kevin C
XTZ 750

Oddometer: 53
I was new to the hammock thing last year.
I found that my back and butt got cold in just a sleeping bag. You can add your pad for insulation but i found that I rolled off ( side sleeper)
I went out and bought a down under quilt and slept great all last season, about 20 nights. This winter I got a Hennessy Super Shelter from the year end clearance. I have yet to try it but I am looking forward to it. I will use just the cover if the insulation isn't the best as I found that the wind is your biggest enemy. Good luck and welcome to the club!
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote