Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #1426
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Here's a data point for you.

This is my whole camping set-up: hammock WBBB double layer, tree straps and Whoopies, WB Edge tarp, upper (Revelation X) and lower (Leigh) down quilts. This Set-up is good for me down to the 40's. It would compress even a bit more but the compression straps bottomed out.
That is impressive. I quit the hammock and went back to the ground because I spend so much time on the Plains and the lack of trees made finding a good place to hang a real hassle. But seeing your entire kit in a compression bag makes me miss my Skeeter Beater Pro.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #1427
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
Ah thanks, do you use them on head end only or foot end too? Looks just like yet another gadget I "need" real bad.

I use them head, foot and middle. My new HG Incubator has sewn in small rings. The don't fit in the dutch hammock clips but they will hook on the loop that the ring is attached to.

NEVER lose your UQ again ! I love it

Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #1428
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Curious to know how many of you 'go both ways' when it comes to hammock vs tent, or are the majority complete converts? Do you base it on specific trips and what you think you'll encounter for places to hang? Or would you go for it if you knew you knew in advance you'd be sleeping in it on the ground some nights.

I'm going to be doing the UTBDR this Sept. There will be some camping near trees, but I'm sure a few nights on the ground.

I bought a HH almost 2 years ago after reading this thread and others and thought it might be a good way to go. I've only set it up once on a trip where I also had a tent. It was more of a compare/contrast type of thing.

I do try to pack light but I do like some of the conveniences of being able to bring all my gear in the tent if I need to (crappy weather, sorting/fixing etc) and I like that room to be able to sit up and move around a bit. So I guess I'm still undecided.

So I guess I'm partly thinking out loud and partly looking for advice from those that have been there.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #1429
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,321
I started hanging in the early 80s - pretty much full time - when my back started to go.

Since then I've bought two tents. The second one was to replace the first that dry rotted. Between the two of them, in nearly 30 years, they've been used less than 10 times.

I don't even bring a tent with me any more, even if I know I will wind up on the ground a few nights. I'd rather put up with a couple of nights of inconvenience than suffer through many nights of misery.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #1430
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
Curious to know how many of you 'go both ways' when it comes to hammock vs tent, or are the majority complete converts?

C

I pack both, when I am on the GS. My full hammock set up easily packs into one pannier and the tent has a dedicated seat bag with a Luxury Lite cot. http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/UltraLiteCot/Cot_and_Accessories2/?r=gs&gclid=CJG7ivS37rUCFaUWMgodpmIAUw

On the DR it's one or the other, mostly the hammock gear.

Never Never sleep directly on the ground, even with an air matters, again.

Donate To ADV

Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #1431
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,933
Would like to hear from others as well..

I've done some motorcycle tent camping both solo and with my daughter using a tent. I'm really interested in hammock camping and just bought a new hammock last week on this forum. I just ordered an 11x11 tarp and once I get some better bedding I'll give the hammock thing a go.

I'm hoping for a little lighter and smaller pack, along with being a quicker, dryer setup. And just as important, a good sleep, which I never get in a tent.

After hanging (pun intended) around the hammock forum, I've also found that if you bring a small ground sheet and use a large tarp, one can tent themselves in and be totally private, very similar to a tent.

I got some trees in my back yard and will practice and experiment. Hard to say yet whether I'll get a second hammock for my daughter or go back to tents, if she's with me or not.....

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #1432
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Would like to hear from others as well..
Welcome to the "hang"

I went to this because I wanted a door set up for bad weather and privacy. Light weight and easy to pitch.............WB Superfly

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps.php

I also use a Kelty Noah's 9x9 for summer time "good" weather.

Donate To ADV

Old 03-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #1433
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Curious to know how many of you 'go both ways' when it comes to hammock vs tent, or are the majority complete converts? Do you base it on specific trips and what you think you'll encounter for places to hang? Or would you go for it if you knew you knew in advance you'd be sleeping in it on the ground some nights.

I'm going to be doing the UTBDR this Sept. There will be some camping near trees, but I'm sure a few nights on the ground.

I bought a HH almost 2 years ago after reading this thread and others and thought it might be a good way to go. I've only set it up once on a trip where I also had a tent. It was more of a compare/contrast type of thing.

I do try to pack light but I do like some of the conveniences of being able to bring all my gear in the tent if I need to (crappy weather, sorting/fixing etc) and I like that room to be able to sit up and move around a bit. So I guess I'm still undecided.

So I guess I'm partly thinking out loud and partly looking for advice from those that have been there.

C
I would much rather haing, but I also camp in the real world. So I have not thrown out all my ground camping gear.
When I go to ground has been when I am traveling with a group and it is a social thing to set around the camp fire in the evenings and there is no good haing locations any where close. Or if I go to a rally and tipiclay the camping is in a big pasture or grassy parking lot. Again its about the social gathering in the evenings that I would rather camp close to a group. Sometimes the tent does make it easer when staying in the same place for a few days like at a National rally.

I have also carried both tent and hammock when on the GS but when dual sporting I would much rather haing. Its so much quicker to set up and tear down to get an early start. I carry a large tarp so if the weather is bad I can stay dry and I can also cover the bike or just setting around BSing with other riders.

I am planning a Dual Sport trip this year and will only be taking the hammock, The plan is to stealth camp well off the beaten path and travel light.
Hairsmith
hairsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #1434
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Curious to know how many of you 'go both ways' when it comes to hammock vs tent, or are the majority complete converts?
A number of hammock campers get the bug because of physical issues...I am one of those. When both knees went bionic (more titanium in me than your average lightweight backpacker kit) the fun went right out of crawling on those knees. It's a hammock or a motel now. Frankly desert camping just is no fun (wind+sand=no fun) and I have always sought out camp spots with trees (and preferably a stream) anyway. Now it's just a matter of trip planning plus a smidge of inventive thinking will allow you to set up a hammock in most places, even the desert.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #1435
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,969
I used to be able to sleep anywhere. My camping kit was a tarp and a sleeping bag. Just lay the tarp on the ground and go to bed. Not so much anymore.

I tried a luxury lite cot with several kinds of inflatable air mattresses on it. Always woke up sore. Tried the Hammock and now would rather not sleep in a tent again. Love just putting my feet down and standing up in the morning. No more crawling out of a wet tent.

If you want privacy, get an old man winter tarp or equivalent which has doors and can be pulled almost all the way to the ground.

I love that the 3rd day of waking up in the hammock feels just as good as the 1st. The 3rd day in the tent just sucks.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #1436
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:

C
While setting up the hammock was quicker, finding the "right" spot to make it work well was a chore. Now you have to keep in mind where I am based. We have a tree here in Oklahoma and we are very proud of it.

As for comfort... I am a cold sleeper and find it easier to adjust through the night with a good bag and pad as the hammock and under quilt always seemed a bit more finicky. That said, when you get it right, the hammock (along with an Ambien and two Tylenol) makes for a great night's sleep!
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #1437
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

I like the simplicity of the setup for sure, and maybe it's just me, but by the time you start adding the bells and whistles that most here are discussing, I don't think I'll find much space or weight savings compare to my tent. I could be wrong, but I'll do a couple test packs to check it out.

re: the physical issues, I'm about to go with an Exped downmat 7 for use either on ground or in the hammock. I'm not 'too' beat up by a night or two on the ground (if it's decent ground) and hoping that the Exped would make that even better. Therefore the physical argument isn't as strong with me......though I'm a big fan of feeling rested and ready to tackle the day.

I still have some more thinking to do I guess.

Thanks again.

Cord
Old 03-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #1438
CordR
Studly Adventurer

HH carabiner?

One more quick question....

For those with the HH or similar, there are posts/videos floating around about using carabiners for even quicker set up. I did purchase some at the time I bought the HH and used them in my test hang.

Hennessy claims on their web site that they can't recommend it, though I'm wondering if that's just covering their ass legal talk, or if there is some practical side the wear and tear of the hammock.

Anyone using that method regularly?

C
Old 03-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #1439
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:

For those with the HH or similar, there are posts/videos floating around about using carabiners for even quicker set up. I did purchase some at the time I bought the HH and used them in my test hang.

Hennessy claims on their web site that they can't recommend it, though I'm wondering if that's just covering their ass legal talk, or if there is some practical side the wear and tear of the hammock.

C
i use atlas straps and 2 carabiners each side like you are describing, and on one rig i use rap rings but the carabiners work just as good imo...as shown on the videos...i wouldn't do it any other way. it works great...lots of length and total adjust-ability.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #1440
kingbee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:

C

I use rappel rings with my Hennessy; speeds setup but does add weight, bulk, and cost. As to wear, it's been cussed and discussed over at Hammock Forums. I keep an eye on my ropes and haven't seen any wear or damage, but it sounds like the thinner rope they use on the ultralight hammocks might be more vulnerable.

The rings I use are these from here:

http://www.summithut.com/products/aluminum-rappel-ring/

And these 'biners:

http://www.summithut.com/products/oval-carabiner/

It's a pretty slick setup but really, it doesn't take that long to do it the HH way.

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote