bike curious

Oddometer: 967
Looks good on you!
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 AM   #17
2wheeldeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
thanks but that's my riding partner susie. We have the same helmets and makes it easier to see each other. visibility has definitely saved our posteriors a few times.
deb
2wheeldeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:43 AM   #18
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Sadly, I have an EXO 900 with fitting problems, too. In my case it's the ears...the liner applies pressure to the ear, and I can only ride for an hour with this helmet before I have to take it off. I wear size medium helmets and have swapped the EXO liners for size large...still have ear pain. I have pulled the liners and compressed the ear pockets to make more room...marginal difference. I think I need to change the shape of the liner around the ears...cut some material off and resew. I love the helmet but may not be able to take it on trips. It is broken in at this point, and the fit is otherwise good.
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #19
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,206
I've got about 10K miles on my EXO-900 helmet. It has been, by far, the best helmet I ever owned, and I have owned many. Sheuberth SC1, Nolan N100, Caberg Justisimo, HJC Modular, and a couple more I can't remember.

I have a medium sized head, and all of these helmets fit fine. I also have no hair, so liner comfort is critical. The Caberg needed a slight adjustment in the earbox, I have big lobes, and the Nolan needed a slight spooning to the forhead. I have a very round head, so not all helmets work.

Being bald, one ould think the piping would be a problem, but for me it is not. My first day on the EXO-900 was a 600 mile ride back from the MOA Rally in Johnson City. No pain at all. I did have my Caberg on the seat behind me just in case, which is what I would recommend to anyone riding distance with a new helmet.

IMHO all helmets are not the same. I can't wear an Arai, the shape is all wrong.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #20
rxcoop
persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer: 1,681
bought one of these at hermys this past saturday....after a couple of 1 hr rides (and walking around the showroom with the helmet on) i think this is one of the MOST comfortable helmets ever out of the starting gate. love the pump, ventilation, and esp the HI-VIZ color. goes well with my gray roadcrafter with the hi-vis ballistics.

have the same barber as JVB and i wear a sweatvac liner all the time. with the pump, should be able to adjust for summer or winter weight lines.

have a shoei-shaped head but could never justify the cost of a multitec and have worn nolans (101, 101e, 102, and now 103) and this helmet feels more comfortable, and lighter too.

sorry the OP had problems but i sure have none....YMMV.
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (r)>
rxcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #21
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
Piping can't give you a headache. Bad fitting helmet can

Uh, no. A perfect fitting helmet with piping in the wrong place can cause discomfort.

I can't believe I need to explain this, it's so utterly completely self-evident.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #22
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post

Uh, no. A perfect fitting helmet with piping in the wrong place can cause discomfort.

I can't believe I need to explain this, it's so utterly completely self-evident.
Ok but can we say that if the piping happened to be in the wrong place (i.e. causing discomfort) it's because the helmet doesn't fit to your head in the first place?

I mean..."fitting" isn't only related to the helmet shape but the overall construction to me.

A "perfect fit" isn't so perfect if something, anything, is in the wrong place.

I can't believe myself that I need to explain this. No insult intended dude, but it's how I see the whole thing.

Whatever the reason...if it causes pain to you but not to everyone (only if you don't have a helmet from a bad batch, which could happen), it doesn't fit you. End of story.

And I personally think that piping in the wrong place alone can cause local pain and discomfort but not a headache. And it's what fast4d was talking about I think.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #23
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Ok but can we say that if the piping happened to be in the wrong place (i.e. causing discomfort) it's because the helmet doesn't fit to your head in the first place?

Even there I'd argue that piping across a pressure point (expecially the forehead) should be done very carefully and so that it's flush or not obtrusive.

I mean..."fitting" isn't only related to the helmet shape but the overall construction to me.

I can't believe myself that I need to explain this. No insult intended dude, but it's how I see the whole thing.

You're not explaining anything I don't already know, you're just arguing a different semantic. Fit is, IMHO, how the helmet conforms to your head. Piping or elements other than the interior shape sticking out and hitting you isn't fit, it's errant construction or poor design.

Whatever the reason...if it causes pain to you but not to everyone (only if you don't have a helmet from a bad batch, which could happen), it doesn't fit you. End of story. Agreed, but I don't consider the stitching to be the fit, so again, we're arguing semantics.

And I personally think that piping in the wrong place alone can cause local pain and discomfort but not a headache. I would never presume something like that, how people are effected by discomfort is subjective and personal. And it's what fast4d was talking about I think.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #24
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post

Even there I'd argue that piping across a pressure point (expecially the forehead) should be done very carefully and so that it's flush or not obtrusive.

You're not explaining anything I don't already know, you're just arguing a different semantic. Fit is, IMHO, how the helmet conforms to your head with regards to the shell shape, foam design, liner thickness, etc. Piping or elements other than the interior shape sticking out aren't what I consider fit, any more than I'd consider a liner that caused you to itch or sweat too much to be a "fit" issue.

Whatever the reason...if it causes pain to you but not to everyone (only if you don't have a helmet from a bad batch, which could happen), it doesn't fit you. End of story. Agreed, but I don't consider the stitching to be the fit, so again, we're arguing semantics.

And I personally think that piping in the wrong place alone can cause local pain and discomfort but not a headache. I would never presume something like that, how people are effected by discomfort is subjective and personal. And it's what fast4d was talking about I think.
This has been fun, let's do it again.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #25
JohnBoy777
Pseudo-Adventurist

Oddometer: 888
I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, but I saw the video on this helmet and noticed they were making a big deal out of how easily the front of the helmet can be removed; yeah, just hit the pavement and find out.

LINK: Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer Modular Helmet review STG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0v1mEq-IAA

Don't get me wrong - there are times I don't wear a helmet (yeah, shame on me), but I use a full-face helmet when I want one and I would never expect this piece of crap to do the job of a real helmet.

Transformer - right, it'll transform your face if your head hits the pavement.

JMHO

JohnBoy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #26
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,828
I had one of those for about two days.
While I enjoyed the same features, I had a very different problem.

The chin strap is made with some fairly rigid stitching. It was right at the bottom of my jaw joint. I swear after the first day of riding more than 30 minutes, it felt as if my face was in a vice. It was pretty tender (both sides)....I rode back to CycleGear and explained the situation. I walked out with a Multitech. My face, while still ugly as a mule, was much happier.

Its a shame, because the EXO was a very nice lid.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #27
ccherry
carter

Oddometer: 268
more

well since no one asked my opinion I'm happy to share it..........i have a head, no fuckin idea if it is a shoei or an arai - i've had both, probably think the arai profile is the best fit but currently have a shoei rf 1100, kbc vr2r and scorpion exo 900. would have to agree that out of the box, best fitting and most quiet lid yet is the EXO 900 . yea, i know it isn't as "safe" as the rf 1100 but not sure it isn't the one i will grab every single time i get on the bike - i do not ride without a lid so that isn't an option - my personal choice and you are entitled to yours (but don't ask me to cover the medical costs if you draw the short straw any particular day). so i'm definitely in the camp of those that are supportive of the EXO900.

in interest of full disclosure - have had Arai Profile, HKC 3/4 (don't remember the model), KBC Force RR and Shoei rf1000 before current list above. all are listed as different shapes by WebBikeWorld so I'm guessing I'm just a blockhead.....
ccherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #28
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,240
It seems Scorpions fit some people and are totally uncomfortable for others. Luckily I have a Scorpion head. I still haven't found any helmet that is more comfortable for me than a Scorpion.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #29
HORSEMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Headache

great lid---but i had to sand off a little material in the area of the forehead beading to releave pressure. Custom fit, yes, and no pain...
HORSEMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #30
NoDirt4Me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Mine only hurt on my left side where the strap came across my jaw-bone. It helped some when I cut out that strap retaining do-dad.

Wish Shoei would come out with a lid with drop-down tinted visor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
I had one of those for about two days.
While I enjoyed the same features, I had a very different problem.

The chin strap is made with some fairly rigid stitching. It was right at the bottom of my jaw joint. I swear after the first day of riding more than 30 minutes, it felt as if my face was in a vice. It was pretty tender (both sides)....I rode back to CycleGear and explained the situation. I walked out with a Multitech. My face, while still ugly as a mule, was much happier.

Its a shame, because the EXO was a very nice lid.
NoDirt4Me is offline   Reply With Quote