User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
RogueMonkey OP
compensating hose clamp

Oddometer: 3,509
Eh? What's broomball ?

DULUTH (AP) - An ice resurfacing machine exploded Sunday night inside Peterson Arena, starting a fire at the ice rink and sending one broomball player to the hospital, witnesses said.

About 30 people - including two broomball teams and a handful of fans - were inside the building when the explosion happened at about 9:40 p.m. A small blast was followed by a larger explosion, the Duluth News Tribune reported in its Monday editions.

Player Ryan Ringsred, who was bandaged, picked small pieces of Plexiglas from the back of his neck. He was on the ice when the explosion occurred.

"I was facing the boards when they blew up," Ringsred said. "I was on the ice and the Zamboni blew up behind me. I was flat on the ice."

Even his helmet was dented.

"It's brand new," he said. "It did its job, I guess."

The building was evacuated and the players watched the fire from a small warming house about 30 yards away. By 10:15 p.m., the fire had engulfed the north side of the building and police cleared out the warming house when it looked like the fire might reach nearby power lines.

Joe Buckley, the driver of the Zamboni, which resurfaces the ice, said he was sweeping up when the blast occurred.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S5048.html?cat=64

RogueMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:55 AM   #2
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
broomball rocks. Zambonis Rock!

Think hockey without skates, using a tennis ball and your moms broom.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:16 AM   #3
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman
broomball rocks. Zambonis Rock!

Think hockey without skates, using a tennis ball and your moms broom.
I still have bone chips in my elbows from broomball.
The stick is just like a broom with the bristles cut off, and the ball is plastic and hurts like a motherfucker when it hits you. You hit the ball with the edge of the broom, not the broad side. So it goes really, really fast.
Did I mention how much it hurts when some crazy fucker from Meenasooota winds up and smacks you with the ball?
We also had special shoes - just like old Chuck Taylor hi-tops except the sole was a very soft, squishy compound that looked like a ping pong paddle in texture.

Full checking, baybee!

Loved that game - it's just really hard on your body.

Overheard from some hockey players watching us practice:
"Broomball? What's that?"
"Crazy fucking game even I won't play"
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:35 AM   #4
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRAsH
I still have bone chips in my elbows from broomball.
The stick is just like a broom with the bristles cut off, and the ball is plastic and hurts like a motherfucker when it hits you. You hit the ball with the edge of the broom, not the broad side. So it goes really, really fast.
Did I mention how much it hurts when some crazy fucker from Meenasooota winds up and smacks you with the ball?
We also had special shoes - just like old Chuck Taylor hi-tops except the sole was a very soft, squishy compound that looked like a ping pong paddle in texture.

Full checking, baybee!

Loved that game - it's just really hard on your body.

Overheard from some hockey players watching us practice:
"Broomball? What's that?"
"Crazy fucking game even I won't play"

jeebus. we never played anything that organized. Just old brooms on a frozen pond. It did get rough tho. but since the boards were snobanks you could really smash someone into them. The trick was to hop just before you hit so you didnt go head first into the bank.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:42 PM   #5
road2blue
road2blue

Oddometer: 840
Poor Loki....no broomball in your youth? Do you even get natural ice down there?
road2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:53 PM   #6
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
Just another excuse to get drunk and cause bodily injury to other people. Its fun.
mark
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:02 PM   #7
RogueMonkey OP
compensating hose clamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVENTUREBIKER11
Poor Loki....no broomball in your youth? Do you even get natural ice down there?

Are you talking about beer ? We did enjoy whacking the puck from one side of the pond to the other. Once in a while some poor bystander would catch it in the face. Oh, the laughs we had....

Wait, we still do that

Old 12-21-2004, 02:06 PM   #8
road2blue
road2blue

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki

Are you talking about beer ? We did enjoy whacking the puck from one side of the pond to the other. Once in a while some poor bystander would catch it in the face. Oh, the laughs we had....

Wait, we still do that
now you're getting close....wdith broomball, particularly on the Canadian prairies....at 40 below, the broom bristles freeze hard as a stick, the tennis ball freezes hard as a puck.....the only padding is layers of clothes.....same ugly shit happens
road2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:58 PM   #9
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,251
Broomball, Ringette and Curling.

What are three things drunk Canadians do during the winter to keep from going crazy Alex?
ilmostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:06 PM   #10
Titania
Scourge of the East

Oddometer: 3,652
It was probably the number 1 intramural sport at UVM in the late 70's when I was there.
Titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:10 PM   #11
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,794
The broomball league my mom used to play in back east when I was a kid was
one of the most vicious sports I ever saw.

Imagine a hockey rink with two teams of women, weilding "brooms" which were
in fact long sticks with a club like bunch of bristles, made solid by being dipped
in hard plastic.

Kind of like women's field hockey with body armor. Way worse than the men's
hockey match that would usually follow.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:26 PM   #12
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
Ref'd broomball back when I was playin' hockey in school

Biggest bunch of poser idiots wannabe's... I suppose the sport is OK, wellll maybe for a church group or a one time outing, but the folks the leagues attracted were terds.

They were all a bunch of folks who could not/would not play hockey so they attempted to be badass broomies... Idiots. These are the same idiots that would want to try and push a ref around on skates - not too bright with the whole traction issue them broomies got - even with those ridiculous shoes...

I actually played once. Never plan to again. Why go skirting around in shoes when you can do it so much better with a pair of blades?

Have I said the game attracts idiots? Have I said there are more injuries due to the idiots who think they are playing hockey and checkin' each other? Friggin bozos...

M
Old 12-21-2004, 06:39 PM   #13
RogueMonkey OP
compensating hose clamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVENTUREBIKER11
now you're getting close....wdith broomball, particularly on the Canadian prairies....at 40 below, the broom bristles freeze hard as a stick, the tennis ball freezes hard as a puck.....the only padding is layers of clothes.....same ugly shit happens
I remember my mom playing broomball on my ass when I came home late at night, snot frozen to my face, hat nowhere to be found. My butt was already numb so couldn't feel much. When she wasn't up to it, she would yell to my dad, "look at him, he looks like he just came off the street !!!"....But, I did....not the be..., ow, ow,...not the belt !!!

Old 12-21-2004, 07:07 PM   #14
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,868
In the military, to refer to someone as a broomball player is to say that they are homosexual. Usually used in reference to the womens team, as most of their teams I ever knew were more than 80% homosexual. That data was told to me by my ex, who was on the team.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:33 AM   #15
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
Biggest bunch of poser idiots wannabe's... I suppose the sport is OK, wellll maybe for a church group or a one time outing, but the folks the leagues attracted were terds.

They were all a bunch of folks who could not/would not play hockey so they attempted to be badass broomies... Idiots. These are the same idiots that would want to try and push a ref around on skates - not too bright with the whole traction issue them broomies got - even with those ridiculous shoes...

I actually played once. Never plan to again. Why go skirting around in shoes when you can do it so much better with a pair of blades?

Have I said the game attracts idiots? Have I said there are more injuries due to the idiots who think they are playing hockey and checkin' each other? Friggin bozos...

M
I suppose it really depends on your point of view, doesn't it?
I played for fun, and because the thought of shelling out thousands on hockey gear didn't appeal to a waiter.
That and the fact that the hockey players were a bunch of pussies who couldn't handle the violence so they played in "no checking" leagues.

:ymca

cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: