Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #91
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Do you have room for any more? My build should be done by Spring. I'm already in WV.

It's not exactly a Ninja, as I'm using the Versys engine.

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #92
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
[quote=pdxthmper]Have you looked into having MX fork tubes shortened, to get the travel number you want?

SamM suggested this also, it just be the thing to do? SamM just shortend the springs, how do you shorten the tubes?
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #93
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

[quote=dentvet]I bought a salvaged one with the intent of mutation but I haven't got very far.

Ok, I remember seeing this in sanjoh's thread.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #94
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh
ktmklx

Is that the stock collector? Are you going to use a hanger for the header? The stock muffler mount looks close for a hanger.
Yes, I will be using the stock collector and will be hanging it on the muffler mount. There were 2 configurations that looked pretty good. One was to have the collector tubes in an over/under fashion, this allows more clearance between the oil pan and header tubes and the outlet sweeps up nicely. The other configuration, which I am going to use, is the standard double barrel approach. The collector is upside down so the curve in the collector creates a nice clearance for the brake pivot. The inlet of the collector gets angled down and that tips the outlet up to start the approach to the can.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #95
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
i'm about ready to start my winter build, the latest iteration will be number three. i already did the mockup for the new gravel runner, all i can say is, it looks huge. it will also be the cheapest one yet. i haven't decided on the final budget number, but it will be low buck for sure.
Another Ninja based? I sure hope you do a build thread!
Old 11-21-2010, 03:30 AM   #96
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
Do you have room for any more? My build should be done by Spring. I'm already in WV.

It's not exactly a Ninja, as I'm using the Versys engine.

SamM
of course! maybe the area rat ninja builders should all show up at the spring Laurel Forks campout, date to be announced. more miles of good gravel road than you could ever ride in a weekend.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:49 AM   #97
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmklx
Another Ninja based? I sure hope you do a build thread!
yup, ninja based...sort of. the new one will be built from a box of junk. gravel runner like the first two, not a dirt bike or single tracker. build will be added to that ER6C thread over on the versys forum. already have a bunch of parts, and might reuse a few things. shouldn't take too long once i get time to start.

i think my new turnkey budget target will be 10% of the cost of a new F800GS.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:53 AM   #98
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,644
Quote:
yup, ninja based...sort of. the new one will be built from a box of junk. gravel runner like the first two, not a dirt bike or single tracker. build will be added to that ER6C thread over on the versys forum. already have a bunch of parts, and might reuse a few things. shouldn't take too long once i get time to start.

Let me know what you might need in the parts dept. I happen to have a few parts

+1 on Laurel Fork and its only 1k miles for me I've been wanting to ride the TETs. Although it will probably be at the end of my trip to AK returning via TCT.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #99
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Nice!

Where is Laurel Fork?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #100
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
of course! maybe the area rat ninja builders should all show up at the spring Laurel Forks campout, date to be announced. more miles of good gravel road than you could ever ride in a weekend.
Thanks! I'll do my best to be there.

Have you guys seen this yet?

SamM screwed with this post 11-21-2010 at 07:19 AM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #101
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
I want one bad!

I really need a bike like this.

Quote:

Old 11-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #102
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet
I did some looking over of the parts bin and the ninja. sanjoh did a ktm front end using a yamaha (R1 ?) steering stem mod and a aftermarket top clamp, right? I figured I would just follow his recipe step by step as i have most of the ktm stuff on hand. now i'm not sure....

I have YZ/wr triples and ktm triples side by side. The yz has a longer stem with double nuts compared to the ktm. I measured the length of the steering tube on my yammie WR and the ninja, they were both about 7 3/4 inches.

Another observation is that the yz triples have a bit more offset built in and the steering stop is similar to the ninja configuration. I think the ktm steering stop is the actual fork tube clamp hitting the frame. Using the yamaha triple might yield sharper turning because the fork tubes are a couple of mm further away from the frame.

YZ top clamp also has the pinch bolts forward instead of rearward position of the ktm. Gas tank clearance problem that sanjoh had to remedy with a different top clamp might be avoided.

I would prefer to have ktm stuff front and back but the yamaha stuff looks like it might be easier, once figured out. I haven't seen the bearings inside the ninja stem to guess whats needed there.

here's a neat ninja link for general faq:

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~shanetp/Index.html

If you needed a longer stem you can use the one from the 950/990 Adventure, it has the same top and bottom triple diameter and bearings but is about an inch longer.

And depending on how much travel you want, I have some fork internals for WP 48mm that will get them to about 890 mm total length with 260 mm travel - so 2" shorter than the standard dirt bike stuff.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #103
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
i'll ride with ya, get that thing built. west virginia gravel spring 2011. we'll get sanjoh to ride up from florida and have a rat ninja rendezvous. sanjoh can bring sets of those LEDs and hand them out as party favors.

i'm about ready to start my winter build, the latest iteration will be number three. i already did the mockup for the new gravel runner, all i can say is, it looks huge. it will also be the cheapest one yet. i haven't decided on the final budget number, but it will be low buck for sure.
Allright, should be good to go by then.

here's a budget 18 inch cush setup, maybe its too outdated;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-...item3a5f0eea53
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #104
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:

Wow, that actually looks great and almost OEM! Is there a build thread for it somewhere?
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #105
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

I had to look at that for a few seconds before realizing the Twin is in. Where did that photo come from?