User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
ffb13 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
fj09 vs 2015 versy 1000 vs 2015 gs1200

recently sold all my bikes .now looking at the following and reason and looking for opinions before i get what will be my last bike purchase

fj09---due to low weight and power

versy 10000 power and fairing (weather coverage ) but heavy at 560 lbs

gs1200...way overpriced but nice and well built --quality but relaibility ?/and i think that the fj09 and kawa may run rings around it

so, what is your opinion..

riding place ----probably will get in the miami area and ride it to conn. and vermont. and then keep it here in conn. for local rides and conn to vermont on back roads twice per year in spring
ffb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
ATLDB
n00b

Pick Up Rider Magazine

Pick up the last months Rider magazine, they do a comparison between the Versys 1000, VStrom 1000 and FJ09. Versys was the better choice and for once I do agree with the Rider guys in all aspects of the test.
ATLDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
ts3doug
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
There is a YouTube vid of this as well. I'd link, but I'm lazy
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
The FJ-09 is quite good and could easily meet your needs. I was also impressed with the Versys 1000 and if I had to choose one that would be on the list next to the FJ. The FJ is smoother but the Versys has more power along more weight. I would have a tough time deciding between the two. It really depends on what your priorities are and personal preferences are.

For me, quality and reliability are pieces of the same puzzle. For that you are looking at Yamaha or Kawasaki.

Since this is intended to be your last bike you really need to have extensive test rides on each one.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
wrong section

This is the wrong place for this discussion perhaps?

The answer though: Tiger800XCX
Old 04-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,718
Not in Ride Reports

Moved to Road Warriors.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:59 AM   #7
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Had an FZ09 and rode a Versys 1K a couple of days ago. I just don't care for the FJ, but all the numbers look good (If not the bike, IMO...). The Beemer is just too much money, maintenance, and potential trouble for me. I'd definitely go Versys.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #8
curtis6870
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Havent ridden either but sat on both. Versys 1000 feels better. Forget GS, overpriced and unreliable.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
HanShotFirst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Well to me at least, the GS isn't an apples to apples comparison. The GS is a true ADV bike, where the Versys and FJ are street bikes that won't kill you on a dirt trail. If you really plan on doing some serious ADV riding, then you really ought to be comparing the Super Tenere, Tiger, and GS.

If you're looking for a good all around street bike that can go down a few dirt roads without scaring you to death, then the Versys, FJ-09, and Vstrom. And honestly between those three, that's a really tough call. I've been a Yamaha man from day one, but right now I own two Kawasaki's and I'm not in the least bit disappointed. Suzuki is one of the few bikes I've never owned, but the reputation of the Vstrom is solid. I think you need to go see the bikes in the flesh and see which one floats your boat. Quality wise, feature wise, they're about a wash, so it's just going to come down to which bike speaks to your soul and says, "dood, let's go for a ride!"
Old 04-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
ChrisFZ1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Jesus, the Versys 1000 is a Goldwing Lite.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #11
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
If you have GS money to spend I wouldn't even consider the others. (I like the Versys but I don't have GS money) Get a KTM Super Adventure 1290. It's a lot more than the FJ or Versys but a little less than the GS and from what I've been reading it flat out rocks.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #12
ARiderX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
This is the wrong place for this discussion perhaps?

The answer though: Tiger800XCX
+1, a great mix of an fj 09 and the GS (if you don't mind downsizing a bit) It won't touch a versys for highway comfort, but for everything else it's great.

Over here it is more expensive than an FJ (although the FJ and the XRx are closely matched, so that's a no brainer). The XCx is cheaper than the versys though...
Old 04-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #13
ffb13 OP
n00b

l rode the fj09 had to do it twice due to a bad first ride as i was not used to throttle by wire and made a mess of it due to acute jerkiness. second time around was great but after i got off my head was spinning probably due to no ear plugs and wind or whatever .
i like the low weight and the handling and engine response but i question thei long term comfort of the bike ??

also went to do a ride on the versy 1000 but the woman that does the paperwork questioned my bike license because it did not state "m class "or whatever as it does in connecticut . the mgr looked at it and said ok..then the salesman came to do the ride and he also questioned my licensee and wanted to take it tot he g.mgr.
at this point i was fed up and walked away from such incompetence.

so right now i am still trying to decide . maybe the GS is the answer ???but reliabili
ffb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #14
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffb13 View Post
l rode the fj09 had to do it twice due to a bad first ride as i was not used to throttle by wire and made a mess of it due to acute jerkiness. second time around was great but after i got off my head was spinning probably due to no ear plugs and wind or whatever .
i like the low weight and the handling and engine response but i question thei long term comfort of the bike ??
The stock windscreen is adequate for some folks but a lot of people will change it out. Ermax makes a very nice touring screen and Madstad has a complete set up with full adjustability.

I hated the stock screen and bought an Ermax. It was about 2" shorter than I needed as I am 6'2" tall so I went with the Madstad set up and it is just about perfect.

I am very picky about windscreens and seats and rarely find stock set ups that work for me. I tried the stock and the Yamaha "comfort" seat and neither was good enough for my taste. I have had good luck with Corbin and as soon as they have one available I will order one up.

With those changes the FJ should be very comfortable.

As usual it will take me a few attempts to get it just right. So I will have an Ermax screen and comfort seat for sale.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #15
Jump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Is this guy trolling?
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote