Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #1771
scooterspirit
rolling nutball

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Strange about the false N. Is that type of thing common with other street bikes? What tires did you run?
Yeah it happens on a KLX300 dual sport I used the sport demon street tires, same as commuting.
What a trip...
There's this whole thing people get into like, I don't ride on the street anymore, now that I know what my bike is capable of. Fortunately I won't have that problem.
This idea of do a track day and it will make you a much better rider, doesn't make any sense to me. Smooth on the track and smooth on the street- one thing has nothing to do with the other. The only thing to remember about your track day when you ride on the street, is don't follow the race line!
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #1772
Candiya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
Took my bike to the track today, Ridge Motorsports in Shelton, fairly challenging layout. I am grateful to have the cbr250 because going to the track is something I might have missed without it.

Saw 84mph in 5th, top speed was 89, but mostly topped out between 85-87. In tight corners, the 250 is as fast as anything, and generally goes faster. It was fun and I had a good day. I felt good about the bike, it coughed a few times, and hit some false N between 4-5, but mostly seemed to run better with a decent flogging.

Of course it was the only cbr250r there and got some attention, people had fun seeing it. There were 3 ninja 250s.
Thanks for the review and photo! I plan to take my cbr250 to the Ridge later this summer.
Candiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #1773
scooterspirit
rolling nutball

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiya View Post
Thanks for the review and photo! I plan to take my cbr250 to the Ridge later this summer.
This guy wanted to try my cbr250r, he was on a 599 hornet but this is really a better bike for him. You can see a cement barrier, just beyond that is the front straight. So, you can see there are some good elevation changes. People are really excited about this new track, the one in Kent, not so much anymore. There were people from all over the states.

scooterspirit screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 05:16 PM
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #1774
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I rode my 07 Ninja650 for the first time in quite a while today. The CBR250R is much better dialed in and smoother. Better handling, lighter, better clutch and trans, better shifter, better ergos, better seat. And much cheaper. For anyone under 6 feet tall and 200lbs looking for basic transportation, the new Honda is a great bike.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #1775
Zeke013
Village Idiot

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
I rode my 07 Ninja650 for the first time in quite a while today. The CBR250R is much better dialed in and smoother. Better handling, lighter, better clutch and trans, better shifter, better ergos, better seat. And much cheaper. For anyone under 6 feet tall and 200lbs looking for basic transportation, the new Honda is a great bike.

How much under? I am 6 and 1/4 - and 220 lbs.

Doable?
Zeke013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #1776
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke013 View Post

Doable?
Depends what you expect to get out of it and what you are willing to put into it. If you sit upright like a parachute, your top speed will be only 85 mph. Wind speed. Which means a strong headwind can knock you down to 65 easily where you will be riding wide open in 4th. The CBR250R has a 23hp fuel economy engine with the power peak at 8,700 rpm. If you are willing to lay on a tank bag to get your shoulders under the windscreen, you find a completely different bike that can sail through a storm like a dart. The tank flair has plenty of room for your knees but you may want to have a taller seat made that comes up level with the rear seat so you can slide back. And add a bigger windscreen. It is a cheap bike to buy and a cheap bike to run. If you want a more powerful gas guzzler, there are plenty of choices.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #1777
Zeke013
Village Idiot

Quote:
Depends what you expect to get out of it and what you are willing to put into it. If you sit upright like a parachute, your top speed will be only 85 mph. Wind speed. Which means a strong headwind can knock you down to 65 easily where you will be riding wide open in 4th. The CBR250R has a 23hp fuel economy engine with the power peak at 8,700 rpm. If you are willing to lay on a tank bag to get your shoulders under the windscreen, you find a completely different bike that can sail through a storm like a dart. The tank flair has plenty of room for your knees but you may want to have a taller seat made that comes up level with the rear seat so you can slide back. And add a bigger windscreen. It is a cheap bike to buy and a cheap bike to run. If you want a more powerful gas guzzler, there are plenty of choices.
Thanks - am giving serious consideration to this bike as my next - coming after my first bike, a Honda Rebel.

As a 43 year old that is just beginning the motorcycle trek, this has a lot going for it.

Of course, I am also considering something as extreme as a Street Triple, a CBR1000R or a Streetfighter 848.

Suffice to say, I have no idea where I am headed.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:12 AM   #1778
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks - am giving serious consideration to this bike as my next - coming after my first bike, a Honda Rebel.
If you have been riding a Rebel. The CBR250R will feel like a superbike.
My friend has a Daytona. The pegs are ridiculously set back and high.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #1779
Zeke013
Village Idiot

Quote:
If you have been riding a Rebel. The CBR250R will feel like a superbike.
My friend has a Daytona. The pegs are ridiculously set back and high.

Walking feels like a superbike after the Rebel!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #1780
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:

Doable?

I'm 6'1" and 220 in gear, it's slow and the mpg's aren't as good as I'd like. I'm having fun with it and even at 58 mpg it's saving me some serious cash as a commuter. A taller seat will only push you up further into the wind and cause more drag.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #1781
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Some 6'0 riders are still getting over 80 mpgUS. It all depends on riding style.
https://www.fuelly.com/driver/dudema...50r?fu=2601787
Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #1782
larryboy
Paint it black.

It has nothing to do with riding style for a 6 footer and everything to do with speed, people on that website are trying to prove good mpg numbers, not the norm for real motorcyclists.

I can go do a day of riding under 45 mph and "prove" high mpg's, but it isn't real world.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #1783
sendler
Studly Adventurer

He rides mostly 50 mph back roads but my 40 mile, 80% super highway commute in pouring rain is about as real as it gets.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #1784
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
He rides mostly 50 mph back roads but my 40 mile, 80% super highway commute in pouring rain is about as real as it gets.

That's what I figured, not real world.

What are you? Bout 5'5" and a 125 pounds? I've seen that pic where you're laying on the tank, not real world.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #1785
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
That's what I figured, not real world.

What are you? Bout 5'5" and a 125 pounds? I've seen that pic where you're laying on the tank, not real world.

I guess larryboy woke up.

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote