Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #2116
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmarquez View Post
Yes, I realize all the other bikes I like are larger, but that is simply due to the fact that there simply are no other bikes in the 250-500cc range.
I would really like the Suzuki TU250 if it was a TU350.
The CBR has enough zip to satisfy me I think, and I love the idea of averaging over 65mpg.
I manage to get over 25mpg in my company van, and that is an accomplishment
If you are willing to accept the top speed performance of the CBR which may limit you to 80 mph and 60 mpgUS if you are not very aero then it is the best deal on the road for the money. A taller seat can give your knees more room and allow you to cheat back a little farther onto the front edge of the passenger seat. Honda is announcing a CBR500R next month but you would never be able to buy one for another year. Used Ninja650's are everywhere for $3000. Not a great bike but not bad as a commuter for a larger rider (if you raise the seat height) that runs out of power on a 250.

sendler screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 10:18 AM
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #2117
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
If you willing to accept the top speed performance of the CBR which may limit you to 80 mph and 60 mpgUS if you are not very aero then it is the best deal on the road for the money. A taller seat can give your knees more room and allow you to cheat back a little farther onto the front edge of the passenger seat. Honda is announcing a CBR500R next month but you would never be able to buy one for another year. Used Ninja650's are everywhere for $3000. Not a great bike but not bad as a commuter for a larger rider (if you raise the seat height) that runs out of power on a 250.
My friend just bought a 650 ninja 2009 model (I think it's the current model). I havn't ridden on it but I was suprised by the 'visual' build quality. Construction of the bike looked decent to me, at least not worse than the CBR250

What don't you like about it?

Not planning on getting on of them. Just don't like kawa as a brand. And I like decent fuel consumption Still got quite a bit of road trips and a SS1000 planend on the 250 . And I really like the NC 700
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #2118
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz View Post
I can imagine overlubricating isn't good either since it will attract more dust then.
I used a dry moly on one end of the commute, doesn't attract dirt and a delayed viscosity wax like chain lube on the other side...also doesn't attract dirt.

YMMV
Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #2119
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
My friend just bought a 650 ninja 2009 model (I think it's the current model). I havn't ridden on it but I was suprised by the 'visual' build quality. Construction of the bike looked decent to me, at least not worse than the CBR250

What don't you like about it?

Not planning on getting on of them. Just don't like kawa as a brand. And I like decent fuel consumption Still got quite a bit of road trips and a SS1000 planend on the 250 . And I really like the NC 700
2012 is the newest model Ninja650 and has further improvements to the bodywork and vibration. My 07 has notchy shifting, steering isn't as dialed in or quick, low seat height/ highish pegs, ect. They are ok and I can get 63 mpgUS but the riding dynamics of the steering and shifting are better on other bikes.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #2120
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
2012 is the newest model Ninja650 and has further improvements to the bodywork and vibration. My 07 has notchy shifting, steering isn't as dialed in or quick, low seat height/ highish pegs, ect. They are ok and I can get 63 mpgUS but the riding dynamics of the steering and shifting are better on other bikes.
Ah, I see.

I guess you have to take it really easy to get 63 mpg out of it?

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...cbr500-family/

Looking forward to the reviews of these new babies! Might be something for you Larry?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #2121
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Thank for posting that article on the new 500's. Sounds like Honda is starting to get it.

Gotta say, though. What's with the shot from the hip crappy photos like they are a bunch of celebs hanging out being normal people? Makes it hard for me to take the article seriously.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 AM   #2122
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Thank for posting that article on the new 500's. Sounds like Honda is starting to get it.

Gotta say, though. What's with the shot from the hip crappy photos like they are a bunch of celebs hanging out being normal people? Makes it hard for me to take the article seriously.
I think the people in those pictures are filming. Looks like their building a new advert for the bikes.

Probably crappy pictures by themselves to spread the rumor and warm everyone up for the official release
Old 10-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #2123
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Ah, I see.

That is riding the Ninja650 the same way that gets me 95 mpgUS on the CBR250R. If I was riding the 650 to work more, I would go way longer on the gearing. It is torque tuned and could probably run 20% longer gearing.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #2124
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Ah, I see.

That is riding the Ninja650 the same way that gets me 95 mpgUS on the CBR250R. Nearly full on hypermiling. If I was riding the 650 to work more, I would go way longer on the gearing. It is torque tuned and could probably run 20% longer gearing where I could probably break 70 mpgUS.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #2125
larryboy
Paint it black.

First day on the Bridgestone BT45's yesterday. No more wiggle on grooves, I can run more psi in the tires with the same ride as the stock tires. I was gonna save the stocks and throw them on again next summer, but there was checking between every tread on the front and the rear was damn near at the wear bars. My opinion about running tires until they're fully gone has changed recently...I'm not dying for a few extra miles out of a tire, they're in the trash.

Satin black on the wheels, the silver was looking really bad as the dirt built up and I'm not into detailing bikes anymore.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #2126
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Satin black on the wheels, ...
Paint, powdercoat...?
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #2127
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
First day on the Bridgestone BT45's yesterday. No more wiggle on grooves, I can run more psi in the tires with the same ride as the stock tires. I was gonna save the stocks and throw them on again next summer, but there was checking between every tread on the front and the rear was damn near at the wear bars. My opinion about running tires until they're fully gone has changed recently...I'm not dying for a few extra miles out of a tire, they're in the trash.

Satin black on the wheels, the silver was looking really bad as the dirt built up and I'm not into detailing bikes anymore.

Is that a RMS? If so what do they cost for the 250?
Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #2128
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Black wheels look great. Think that's gotta happen.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #2129
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Paint, powdercoat...?
Rattle can satin black after some 600 grit to scuff them up. Degreased the snot out of them to start.

Quote:
Is that a RMS? If so what do they cost for the 250?
What's an RMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Black wheels look great. Think that's gotta happen.
Should look better over time too!!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #2130
larryboy
Paint it black.

Good deal: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=837968

Mine must be worth about $1500 by now.