Old 12-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #2176
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Thanks.

The 65mph in 5th at 8k experiment paid off, gained .8mpg
Any possibility this could be a fill error? The best Brake Specific Fuel Consumption should be 95% load (load, not throttle position. Which is 1.5 inches of vacuum) at 6,000 rpm. The closer to the first torque peak of 6k, the better. Full throttle may pin a different mixture map. Maybe just off of full throttle at 6k-7k rpm would still allow a mixture that is closer to closed loop.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #2177
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Any possibility this could be a fill error? The best Brake Specific Fuel Consumption should be 95% load (load, not throttle position. Which is 1.5 inches of vacuum) at 6,000 rpm. The closer to the first torque peak of 6k, the better. Full throttle may pin a different mixture map. Maybe just off of full throttle at 6k-7k rpm would still allow a mixture that is closer to closed loop.

Nope, no error.

It loses speed under 7k in 6th. If I geared it that way I'd have to down shift to 4th to make it up the hills. Just off of full throttle at 8k is where I see mpg gains.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #2178
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 714
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #2179
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
Man that Repsol looks fast!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #2180
larryboy
Paint it black.

Gotta say that the handlebar change turned a bike I kind of like to one I'm super happy to ride!! Very comfortable for me now. I was worried there might be too much vibration through the bars without the weighted bar ends and the damping inserts on the stock clips, but I can't tell any difference.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #2181
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Gotta say that the handlebar change turned a bike I kind of like to one I'm super happy to ride!! Very comfortable for me now. I was worried there might be too much vibration through the bars without the weighted bar ends and the damping inserts on the stock clips, but I can't tell any difference.
So explain your handlebar swap. Parts used? Sources etc?

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #2182
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
So explain your handlebar swap. Parts used? Sources etc?

Beyond custom, just pick out any bolt on risers and any set of bars you might like and bolt them on. Try to keep bar width in the 25-26" range and they don't need a lot of rise to get considerably taller than the stock clip ons.

I found my bars in the trash.

I used a sawzall to cut my risers off an old triple clamp, then drilled and tapped them.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #2183
sendler
Studly Adventurer

I had my first "poor little bike" moment last night. You know the kind. Where people keep pinning the throttle and can't seem to break 75mph. I had just had the bike appart to install the power wires for my Venture Heat 12v clothing and also removed the vacuum gauge I had Teed in to a vacuum line. Riding home I started going slower and slower and had it pinned to go 70 (normally like 1/4 to 1/3 throttle). I was half way in the middle of nowhere in the pitch dark so tried to ponder it out without stopping to see if the adaptation had decided to go bad after disconnecting the battery. Or maybe the vacuum line came unplugged. Neither one. Pressing forward on the brake lever as I rode, I was able to determine it was being held back. As it turns out, the right grip muff had come loose when I flipped it down to keep the water out while washing the bike and worked it's way back to press on the brake lever from the wind. Next time you feel the bike is pinned and has not enough to give, jump off and see if the brakes are hot.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #2184
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Next time you feel the bike is pinned and has not enough to give, jump off and see if the brakes are hot.

You are just so darn cute!!

I'd never get anywhere if I did that. Had a nice head wind in a place where I normally don't have problems in 6th, sputtered down to 63 mph...grabbed 5th and got her back up to 70.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #2185
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oh yeah, I've got a Madstad windshield ordered!!

Mark made a template for the best mounting position to the stock screen. I'll post pics when I get it.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #2186
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
I had my first "poor little bike" moment last night. You know the kind. Where people keep pinning the throttle and can't seem to break 75mph. I had just had the bike appart to install the power wires for my Venture Heat 12v clothing and also removed the vacuum gauge I had Teed in to a vacuum line. Riding home I started going slower and slower and had it pinned to go 70 (normally like 1/4 to 1/3 throttle). I was half way in the middle of nowhere in the pitch dark so tried to ponder it out without stopping to see if the adaptation had decided to go bad after disconnecting the battery. Or maybe the vacuum line came unplugged. Neither one. Pressing forward on the brake lever as I rode, I was able to determine it was being held back. As it turns out, the right grip muff had come loose when I flipped it down to keep the water out while washing the bike and worked it's way back to press on the brake lever from the wind. Next time you feel the bike is pinned and has not enough to give, jump off and see if the brakes are hot.
Oops. Make sure you check your brake pads on excessive wear
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #2187
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Didn't see anything blue when I got home and they still feel fine. But honestly, It doesn't take much to over power 22hp.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #2188
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 714
One day I couldn't get mine to faster than 80, going downhill, and it wasn't even raining. 80 mph is about top speed with a 33l top box. However the top box seems to help it somewhat up to about 65 if you are sitting up right.

I did hit the rev limit in 5th at the track. It started sputtering, and I looked down, it was doing 83, so I grabbed a bunch of sixth, got up to 85 on that straight, Yeah BABY!
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #2189
sendler
Studly Adventurer

I top my CBR250R at about 96 mph now with the longer gearing.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #2190
LuvPop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
For a coupla months, I've been wanting something light and frugal for commuting duty, obviously, the CBR250 would fit the bill. However, I also need it to do 2-3 week 5,000 mile+ sport tours, including interstate on the first and last day. I pack pretty light (duffel bag, tank bag, and small knapsack) so luggage capacity isn't an issue. Also, I'm 6' tall (34" inseam). Am I nuts for considering the CBR? Can a late 40's body take the ergos day after day? I'm not a HP junkie/speed demon, and don't need a lot of wind protection. I did > 50k miles on KLRs, didn't mind the lack of power, and liked the character of a single. I frequently add a sheepskin covered gel seat cushion not only to improve seat comfort, but also to increase leg room a bit. (I realize this also makes the bars effectively lower). Also, 140 pages, much of it on fuel effieciency, and no mention, that I noticed, of whether it'll take low octane? What does Honda recommend? Any info/advice re: the above would be appreciated? Thanks.
LuvPop is offline   Reply With Quote