Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #2251
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Wings are great. When I'm old, I might get one :-)
My commute is 100 miles a day round trip. About 25 miles are interstate at 75mph. The rest is 55ish and some stop n go downtown.
Why the 250 would work for me:
It can do the 80mph I would need in the rare occasion I need it.
I want a light bike. Stop n Go sucks with a heavy bike.
It needs to be cheap as I'll be leaving it in a parking garage while I'm working.

Evidently 42 is the new old...I'm a Goldwing convert, this thing is fantastic and is giving me mid-40 mpg numbers.

That's close enough to my worst tanks on the 250 that it's outta here.

I gave the little bike every chance I could think of and it's not cutting it for me. New rear tire shows up today, gonna give her a good cleaning and sell it.

Looks like it might be worth $2800-$3200 or so?

Navin, should I throw a new chain and sprockets on it for ultimate test ride smoothness?

Just adjusted the valves and changed oil/filter.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #2252
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,451
[QUOTE=larryboy;20815558]

Navin, should I throw a new chain and sprockets on it for ultimate test ride smoothness? QUOTE]

Don't ask me, I'm the enemy, a Kawi 300 owner!

What was it that turned you off, the power? Overall size. You really embrace the farthest ends of the spectrum, huh?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #2253
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 716
>>What was it that turned you off, the power, overall size?

Let's just say it's everything a Goldwing is not.

Great news Larry, congrats. If you want good money for the 250, turn it into a 'street fighter.'

I am still thinking of getting the nc700, so I can get better mileage. Heheheh
Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #2254
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Don't ask me, I'm the enemy, a Kawi 300 owner!

What was it that turned you off, the power? Overall size. You really embrace the farthest ends of the spectrum, huh?

You're just the sprocket police in here?

Lack of power is the bottom line. I battle wind and hills every damn day, the poor little thing couldn't hold 65 mph in 6th into the wind on a lot of days. This kills mpg's which was the point of my 250 owner experiment.

Yeah, my dirt bike advrider friends couldn't believe it when I bought a cruiser in 2009 and now my 250 friends shake their heads in disbelief that I have a Goldwing now.

My recent fleet was;

XR650R
TY350
CB550 with a YZ490 engine
Bandit 600 with CR500 suspension
CBR250R
950 V-Star
1150GS with carbs and an XR650R front end

I'm trimming that down to the Goldwing, TY350 and the Bandit, I went a little crazy there for awhile.

Thanks scooter!! I'd look at the 500x if I were you, I just don't see the 700x working for us high speed riders looking for mpg's. Or just give up and ride in comfort like me.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #2255
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
You're just the sprocket police in here?

Somebody has to keep the penny pinchers in line, you'd think this was a KLR thread!

I think you might have kept a 300 if you had tried that. The power difference is enough to qualify the Kawi as a "real" motorcycle, where the old Ninja 250/CBR are fine, "for a 250", if ya know what I mean. Fun to ride but not really enough steam to make it an all arounder, every day, every purpose street bike.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #2256
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I think you might have kept a 300 if you had tried that. The power difference is enough to qualify the Kawi as a "real" motorcycle, where the old Ninja 250/CBR are fine, "for a 250", if ya know what I mean. Fun to ride but not really enough steam to make it an all arounder, every day, every purpose street bike.

It wasn't available at the time and I'm not a big Kawi fan. I think that even if this CBR250R had a 500 engine with 50 HP I'd be stuck with a chassis that is just too small for me. I've enjoyed playing with the little bike, but it's brutal to ride 175 miles per day on such a little bike.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #2257
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Geez, if I had to ride 175 every day to get where I had to go and back, I'd be wringing it's little neck, too. With my 100 mile commute, I'm happy with it, but any more, and I'd want something a little roomier and more powerful, too.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #2258
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
I'm a Goldwing convert, this thing is fantastic and is giving me mid-40 mpg numbers.

...you're the guy who claims NC700X's only get 48 mpg, in "real world" numbers, and yet yer wing gets mid 40's?

LOLOL
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #2259
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
...you're the guy who claims NC700X's only get 48 mpg, in "real world" numbers, and yet yer wing gets mid 40's?

LOLOL

Actually the 700x is 42-48 mpg from real world reports that I've read. Had a good wind day on the 'wing the other day and got 42 mpg, that's about the norm for any bike I've ever owned. Got 37 mpg two-up on our first tank with the Goldwing, I imagine that will be pretty normal for two-up riding...was surprised by the 42 tank...within 4 mpg of my worst tank on the CBR250R and I was comfortable the whole damn time.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #2260
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
^ Sometimes it just comes down to comfort.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #2261
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Actually the 700x is 42-48 mpg from real world reports that I've read. Had a good wind day on the 'wing the other day and got 42 mpg, that's about the norm for any bike I've ever owned. Got 37 mpg two-up on our first tank with the Goldwing, I imagine that will be pretty normal for two-up riding...was surprised by the 42 tank...within 4 mpg of my worst tank on the CBR250R and I was comfortable the whole damn time.

That's one bike I've never ridden, but always wanted to bask in the luxo-comfort of a 'Wing, just to see.

I'm still not convinced your reading glasses are on rightside up for those dismal NCX figures, but hopefully, it's not something either you or I would ever lose sleep over
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #2262
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Cbr250r

Last summer off in some of the best riding country of the eastern Oregon mountains, met up with a rider on her CBR250R. She absolutely loved it, reported was a motorcycle she really enjoyed to the fullest. Riding a bit with her showed that she knew how to ride, using the tires to the edge. I'm sure it helped that she was all of 5 feet tall and probably weighed 100 lbs. I know lots of owners are much larger, but when I look over these CBR250's I feel they are made for physically smaller riders.

Art
oldenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #2263
beat
Double Dutchie

Oddometer: 88
Quote:

that is bad, my car even gets 50mpg
Old 03-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #2264
RockinTheRVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Picked up a CBR250R

Just picked up a CBR250R yesterday! I rode it 110 miles home, and I got a good idea for both suburban and interstate feel.

Initial thoughts: (owned 5 different Ninja 250's 1st and 2nd Gen)

Fuel Injection - This bike came to life immediately and was ready to go. The throttle response is smooth and immediate.

Torque - For my 60MPH or less commuting needs this bike is very enjoyable to ride. I don't have to rev it like I did my Ninja 250 to get it going.

Fit-Finish - Looks and feels much more solid than either gen Ninja 250. A nice smooth gearbox compliments this.

Comfort - At 5'9" this bike fits me perfectly ergonomically. I rode 110 miles with no back pain. The included Corbin seat on mine was fantastic, no rear end fatigue.

Safety - ABS is something I've wanted after owning a BMW. I've never had a sticky situation due to braking, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect.

Suspension - Not quite as firm as the Ninja 250, but very stable and willing for spirited riding. A little more comfortable when not riding aggressively.

For my commuting and weekend ride needs, this bike rocks. I'd rather not hold it at 7.5K+ for extended interstate rides(even though it's certainly capable and is very stable), but it's perfect for those 55+ mph backroads. I'd love to take this on a lonnng fun day ride up to the mountains. Awesome bike, I definitely see what the hype is about.

Prospective owners, feel free to ask any comparison questions...I've owned 250's, supersport 600's, Honda 919, FZ6, K1200R, etc.
RockinTheRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #2265
sprocketjock
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
You hit the nail on the head RVA. We brought my fiances Repsol edition home last weekend, and the 2 miles I've put on it around the block you summarized perfectly. I'm 5'9'' and she's 5'8'' so the bikes ergonomics are perfect. I agree the front could be a bit more firm, I may investigate in stiffer springs down the road. So far I've put a fender eliminator, bar end mirror, and flush mount turn signals on and it really cleaned the lines up on it. Makes it look phenomenal. Have a new Leo Vince slip on in the mail for it to. Awesome bike! Can't wait to take it through the twisty's.
sprocketjock is online now   Reply With Quote