Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #16
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
Sounds pretty abysmal to me. Way too heavy (more than a 600cc supersort ), budget suspension and brakes, oddly proportioned styling.

On the plus side its got FI which I find a huge improvement over carbs.

I doubt the head will be a nightmare, the mfg's have been making fancy, high-rpm, high-flow heads that are essentially maintenance free for a decade. If this is anything like 1/4 of a CBR1000RR it'll last till the next ice age. Might be popular in countries with tiered licensing that goes by displacement. Here, you might as well just get an F4i, SV650 or something that has enough power to be safe on the freeway.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #17
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo?
Looks like it's going to be available with ABS. Wonder if we are going to start seeing that trickle down to these smaller bikes?

Ah, and it's fuel injected too. Wish my 250R was!

http://powersports.honda.com/2011/cbr250r.aspx
FI, ABS, Radials, Honda fit 'n' finish -- this thing is going to be a little jewel.

Pity that have no use for one.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #18
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,832
Any guesses on whether it'll outrun an NT700 to 40mph?
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #19
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Here, you might as well just get an F4i, SV650 or something that has enough power to be safe on the freeway.
Quit being ignorant, would ya? The old Honda VTR250, and the Kawasaki EX250 (all 3 iterations available in the US plus the 4th that was never imported) are more than capable of being "safe" on freeways. The BS you just spewed above is a sure sign of someone talking out their ass without a clue in the world.

How many miles have YOU ridden on an EX250/VTR250?
Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #20
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Can't agree more. I rode VTR for quite a few thousands miles long ago (Japanese grey import) and it is very quick and manageable bike. Freeway safe? Come on, no unlimited German autobahns in US..
I believe 100-110 mph is perfectly enough top speed for real life.

I still believe this new CBR250R not worth of wearing almost same name as CBR250rr

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #21
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,034
Fuel injection eh? Well that's gonna make a difference. Looks like a baby VFR1200...so probably looks better in person than in photos.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #22
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike
FI, ABS, Radials, Honda fit 'n' finish -- this thing is going to be a little jewel.
17 INCH RADIALS.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #23
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrasser
17 INCH RADIALS.
The new 250R has 'em too...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #24
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,282
You nay-sayers are kidding right? KTM announces a 125 Duke and you beg for a 250cc version. Honda gives it to you, and you pan it. No wonder we don't get many of the smaller, cool bikes in the US (despite our lack of a tiered licensing system). Yes, I like the VTR-250 V-twin. I'd buy one of those, too. The CBR-250RR in-line four cylinder was a GP race bike with a license plate. Very cool collectable, and maybe a good track training motorcycle, but hardly useful for US roads.

By the way, no one pans the R1-derived single in the Yamaha WR-250R/X. And the WR-250X does quite well on US roads (all of them). It has a great torque curve.

Get real. We need the choices in smaller motorcycles in the US. The price of gasoline will go up again - it is a limited resource. I want to see where Honda puts the price point and the quality of the suspension. I want to see where my insurance company prices coverage for it. And I don't think it is about competition for the 650 class; it is about choices. If we don't buy them, no others will be forthcoming.
Gryphon12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #25
wzm
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Sounds pretty abysmal to me. Way too heavy (more than a 600cc supersort ), budget suspension and brakes, oddly proportioned styling.

I doubt the head will be a nightmare, the mfg's have been making fancy, high-rpm, high-flow heads that are essentially maintenance free for a decade. If this is anything like 1/4 of a CBR1000RR it'll last till the next ice age. Might be popular in countries with tiered licensing that goes by displacement. Here, you might as well just get an F4i, SV650 or something that has enough power to be safe on the freeway.
SuperSports don't weight in the mid-300s, unless you are talking about full on race bikes. Most wet weights are around 410lbs.

With 26bhp out of a 4v liquid cooled 250, I wouldn't expect it to be a maintenance nightmare. These days the high maintenance 250s make mid-high 30s, and as a street bike, I bet this has a bigger oil capacity.

FI, ABS, and a profile that's one cylinder narrower then a Ninja 250 make this sound like a great starter bike to me.
wzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #26
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,460
http://world.honda.com/CBR250R/video/index.html

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #27
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one BikePilot (usually not the case).

1. The weight listed is its curb weight (gassed up ready to ride), no dry weight --so quite a few lbs (40?) lighter than a 600 supersport.

2. IMHO, a beginner bike doesn't need top shelf suspension or brakes. but the fuel injection and ABS is helpful.

3. I would not recommend a 90+hp bike to a beginner regardless of how friendly it is.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2010/...1027cbr250.htm

...and I think the styling is quite nice.
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #28
mud390
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Glad to see Honda is bring this over. I like the styling. I'm riding a 1991 Bandit 250 inline 4 right now (living in Japan), and it makes 40-ish horsepower redlining at 17000 rpm. This is my first street bike. It's was a little nerve racking having next to no torque down low and having to rev the crap out of the bike on even the slightest hill, but I've managed. I think the single will help with that for new riders. Maybe this is a stepping stone for Honda to bring over model 1/4 liter models that are more spirited than this thumper sportbike. Hopefully they sell well and the VTR follows this bike! Speaking of the motor, is this just a detuned/retuned CRF motor?

Kris
mud390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #29
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12
The CBR-250RR in-line four cylinder was a GP race bike with a license plate. Very cool collectable, and maybe a good track training motorcycle, but hardly useful for US roads.
I guess people get spoiled with choice and also market matters. Back in my home country we were and still riding CBR250RR not as collectable or track but usual sportbike. Just like VFR400RR or any other grey imports. I think it is all down to market - you might have noticed I am on "other side of the pond" - here CBR250RR is blast to ride, but not available.
I just do not get why this new Honda called CBR-R. Perhaps marketing trick.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #30
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,115
I love the concept, and I hope it spawns a little cult of small sportbikes, and others come in. The problem they may have is if the price is not right. They need to come in at the same cost or less than the 250 Ninja otherwise most would buy the Ninja.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote