Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #46
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyRider
Honda's MSRP on the ancient Rebel 250 is $3999. There is no way this bike is going to have an MSRP less than $5500. I believe Honda has another flop on it's hands. There aren't many entry level buyers who will be willing to shell out the extra money when the Ninja 250 is available.
Kawasaki's Ninja 250 is $3,999-$4,249. I'd bet that Honda's price is similar for the non-ABS and under $5k for the ABS model. If not, look for heavy discounts in the off season.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #47
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,255
Quote:
Honda's MSRP on the ancient Rebel 250 is $3999. There is no way this bike is going to have an MSRP less than $5500. I believe Honda has another flop on it's hands. There aren't many entry level buyers who will be willing to shell out the extra money when the Ninja 250 is available.
The Rebel 250 is priced at what the market will bear. I imagine that the profit margin is quite good for the little rebel. The tooling for the entire bike has been paid for a decade ago.

Honda knows that the CBR250 needs to be within a $1,000 of the ninja to sell well. I would be willing to shell out that much extra for ABS and fuel injection.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #48
bostonsr
Just weight

Oddometer: 8,402
smart way to get people introduced to the brand/line.

abe

"If you want me to forgive and forget about it, stop reminding me about it."
bostonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #49
Starwarrior
Wannabe

Oddometer: 86
my $0.02 as a recent 250R owner

All,

Interesting comments on the bike. Again the most important comparison for this bike IMHO is price. Having just sold my EX250J*, I can think of a few things that were less than ideal about the bike. Keep in mind I bought this not as a beginning rider, but someone who wanted a change for the smaller.

1) Fuel system: Carbs just drive me nuts. I know there are plenty of you out there who swear by them, but the stockers needed plenty of tuning coming out of the box, and if you are a noob, then you might just think the bike was weak, lean, etc. Kawi makes a FI version, and they're currently thinking about bringing it to the states. It costs about $500-1000 more than carb model.

2) Instrumentaton: Don't get me wrong, the cluster is adequate, but digital readouts are all the rage, and many people would love to have a gear position indicator, or temp guage, or annmeter. Plus the fuel gauge was hardly ever accurate.

3) Windscreen: Easily fixed in the aftermarket, but essentially useless unless you represent the Lollipop Kids.

Now, the new Honda will of course have quirks of its own, but the best things going for it are:

1) Fuel Injection: Hopefully a little easier for noobs to manage, don't know if it would accept a power commander or similar.

2) ABS: Big safety feature for new riders, if one of my friends had an opportunity to start on a bike with ABS, I would recommend it.

I think you could consider this competitive at $6000, given those two features alone. The EX250J seems to increase in price every year, so Big Red should be able to remain competitive.

Personally, I like the looks of the bike, and if this came out 2 years ago when I was in the market, I would have seriously considered it.

*not because I didn't love it, but because the Afghans refuse to get off their asses and run their government, forcing the US and NATO to do everything for them...meaning it's hard for me to ride halfway around the world.../soapbox
Old 10-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #50
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
EX-250R fuel economy

Mileage for the EX-250R Ninjette (current and previous generation) is well documented at Ninja250.org. Whenever I say 70-90 mpg for the EX-250(H) I get unbelievers. Well, pucker up. With a 125 lb. rider (many women in this range) you can get 70 mpg stock if you are easy on the throttle, cruising. This is the bike's target market in the US, and many people in Asia are in this weight range.

And if you change the front sprocket by +1 you can get 90 mpg with a light rider on the highway. Don't believe it? Too bad for you. And, yes, +1 on the front does reduce around town performance. Choose your poison; it is always a trade-off.

Will you get this mileage with a 175 lb. rider? No. You'll get 65-80 mpg.
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #51
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
You and DevilNinjaDog missed this crucial part:

"Made in Thailand"

Like my 2007 CBR125R (Canada) this makes it significantly cheaper on the labour front.

I paid $3,200.00 CDN, 3 1/2 years ago. Still showroom floor new 2009 125R's can be seen going for $2,700.00 (or less)

Having had my EFI 125 for a few years now, and staying @ a pretty much constant 10,000+ RPM, commuting every day, rain/shine/winter/summer, 75 mph highway trips, it has proven utterly bullet proof and very, very, well put together.

Many owners since the bike's 2004 inception have confirmed long life expectations.

Fit and finish is every bit as good as any of my other Hondas in the past 34 years.

I have absolutely no fears of this thing needing anything other than oil changes and new tires, for the next 100,000 kms.

It holds 1 litre of oil, and has no oil filter, btw.

I get super consistent high 80's to low 90's US mpg, and roughly 200 to 220 miles per tank in the city. (fill up at that point is about 9.5 litres)

With my helmet and gear on, I weigh more than the bike does when the fuel tank gets low. (my bike with a Giannelli exhaust, carbon fibre can, carbon fenders, wave rotors, titanium bolts etc., etc, various removed and lightened bits, is 250 lbs wet, full tank.)

I'm 5'8" and around 198 lbs.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #52
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
My 2 cents: I put 36,000 miles on my vtr250. I only sold it because I did not have the money to ship it back to Cali from Maui. I shipped from California, it was a Cali model.

That said, it was flawless. I still remember how it went thru the gears and the lovely sound up to redline, which, iirc, was 14,000 rpm. I didn't care that zero to sixty was a little under six seconds, it was plenty fast (105 mph), handled great, got 52 to 60 mpg.

I would add one of these to the stable. Unless Honda brings over the mini monster vtr 250 from Japan

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #53
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
Wicked

I cannot believe no one has made the point of what a fantastic commuter bike this will be. Plenty fast for moderate traffic, light, honda reliable, and a low cost of ownership. Throw on a 40L top case and I'll ride to work every day.

I'll wait for the newbies that "need something bigger" to start selling them.
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #54
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,171
This would be progress: Honda should drop the Rebel and sell the CBR250R for the Rebel's price. The Rebel would be gone, a modern more capable bike would be replacing it and priced at the competition; Ninja 250. I don't know why Honda and some other companies haven't figured out we're in a real recession here and $5500 small bikes are won't be considered. But Honda sells, or tries to sell the VFR1200. A reasonable bike the like the NT700 is pulled after a year. Way to go Honda, drown your children. I'd love a bike like the CBR250R, but if it is $5500, man, they are really dumb. I guess that CRF230 is pricey like that, so I wouldn't be surprised.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #55
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird
This would be progress: Honda should drop the Rebel and sell the CBR250R for the Rebel's price. The Rebel would be gone, a modern more capable bike would be replacing it and priced at the competition; Ninja 250. I don't know why Honda and some other companies haven't figured out we're in a real recession here and $5500 small bikes are won't be considered. But Honda sells, or tries to sell the VFR1200. A reasonable bike the like the NT700 is pulled after a year. Way to go Honda, drown your children. I'd love a bike like the CBR250R, but if it is $5500, man, they are really dumb. I guess that CRF230 is pricey like that, so I wouldn't be surprised.
The last year for the Rebel was 2009 and it was $3999 then.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #56
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
not a bad looking bike even though it looks like it should be a twin, and a pipe that looks like that and weighs 100lbs is overkill.
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #57
stik__boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Let's not forget who this appeals to.....new/young riders.....
so you tell me, does the average 19-23 year old want this for $4000, or a used R6 for $4000???
2008 Ninja 250 CCS racer
stik__boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #58
stik__boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
& one more thing.......
359 lbs?????

Is it just me, or is that heavy!?
2008 Ninja 250 CCS racer
stik__boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #59
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S.
You and DevilNinjaDog missed this crucial part:

"Made in Thailand"

Like my 2007 CBR125R (Canada) this makes it significantly cheaper on the labour front.
Undoubtedly it does, but unfortunately that just means higher profits for Honda rather than better deals for us. For example of that just look at the recently released PCX scooter; also made in Thailand, yet priced at the very top end of the scale for 125cc scooters...
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:26 AM   #60
Defconfunk
I need to get out more

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man
I'd like to see real world stats from riders getting that kind of mpg on the ex-250, I rarely cracked 60 mpg during regular riding.
My average was 65-70mpg per tank. Personal best was over 80mpg on a tank. That on the slightly higher-strung and more powerful ZZR-250.

I love that Honda is bringing this bike here. Will I buy one? No, I've got my 650, and if I ever got a second bike, it'll be a dual sport. Will I recommend it as an option to everyone looking to get into bikes? Definitely.

I loved my ZZR-250, but FI and ABS are really nice things to have.
Pictures
Defconfunk is offline   Reply With Quote