Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #616
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,031
Anybody want to wager a guess if Honda is going to allow test rides on this bike? Because I'm pretty sure I want one but not without being allowed a test ride. I would imagine it will be somewhat dealer-dependent -- I just hope they aren't cockholsters about it.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #617
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post
Anybody want to wager a guess if Honda is going to allow test rides on this bike? Because I'm pretty sure I want one but not without being allowed a test ride. I would imagine it will be somewhat dealer-dependent -- I just hope they aren't cockholsters about it.
It's always dealer-dependent. Honda subsidizes (but not completely) the cost of demo units. I'd imagine it's gonna be much easier to get a demo on this than e.g. a VFR1200F.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #618
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Those don't sell well in North America.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #619
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,433
Yes they are a complete flop in the USA. Wonder if its cause they aren't available? Thats a sure way to earn low sales here!

The ABS 400 has all the safetycrat ABS, FI that the non legal RS125 lacked and would be an easy conversion for Suzuki to a full faired sports bike. I can see the retro 400 baby GS being a complete disaster among all the guys who grew up in that era but couldn't afford a 1100 at 17 years old.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #620
rpclark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse View Post
Those don't sell well in North America.
They don't sell at all. Besides not being here, just look around. "I would buy GSXYZRR if it was 1600cc and 200hp instead of ONLY 1200cc and 150hp."
Old 12-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #621
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Yes they are a complete flop in the USA. Wonder if its cause they aren't available? Thats a sure way to earn low sales here!

The ABS 400 has all the safetycrat ABS, FI that the non legal RS125 lacked and would be an easy conversion for Suzuki to a full faired sports bike. I can see the retro 400 baby GS being a complete disaster among all the guys who grew up in that era but couldn't afford a 1100 at 17 years old.
Market research. That's why they aren't available.

The insurance cost for the CBR250R (or the Ninja 250 for that matter) for a young rider is probably going to be very high. The market can't support an expensive bike with expensive insurance.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #622
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpclark View Post
They don't sell at all. Besides not being here, just look around. "I would buy GSXYZRR if it was 1600cc and 200hp instead of ONLY 1200cc and 150hp."
Old 12-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #623
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

The market researchers aren't talking to many motorcyclists, just the general public. In over 3 decades and several dozen new bikes I've never been asked by any manufactuer what it is I'm looking for. Tell me something, which would YOU rather own/ride? An el cheapo just above or maybe not even equal to a base scooter 250 "looks like a sportsbike" motorcycle or one of those 250-400 screamers on the last few pages?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #624
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Quote:
The market researchers aren't talking to many motorcyclists, just the general public. In over 3 decades and several dozen new bikes I've never been asked by any manufactuer what it is I'm looking for. Tell me something, which would YOU rather own/ride? An el cheapo just above or maybe not even equal to a base scooter 250 "looks like a sportsbike" motorcycle or one of those 250-400 screamers on the last few pages?
As a primary motorcycle I'd rather not own either one.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #625
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Not the question, nice dodge. If you had to choose between either, like a gun is stuck to your head and you must ride either or you die, you want the 25 HP scooter or the 55 HP, 18,000 RPM, dual front disk aluminum framed, nicely suspended corner slicer???

Lets imagine the next marketing study leaves the USA with only 2 options, the CBR250 or the naked Suzuki GSR400 I4 with your happy to have ABS, FI and standard ergos. The only 2 bikes for sale in any catagory and you wana ride. Used bikes were all crushed by the feds and Cali regulators.

Which one?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #626
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Quote:
Not the question, nice dodge. If you had to choose between either, like a gun is stuck to your head and you must ride either or you die, you want the 25 HP scooter or the 55 HP, 18,000 RPM, dual front disk aluminum framed, nicely suspended corner slicer???

Lets imagine the next marketing study leaves the USA with only 2 options, the CBR250 or the naked Suzuki GSR400 I4 with your happy to have ABS, FI and standard ergos. The only 2 bikes for sale in any catagory and you wana ride. Used bikes were all crushed by the feds and Cali regulators.

Which one?
Your question has no basis in reality.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #627
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #628
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:

Which one?
At what price point? If you're going to throw brain cells and reality out the window I'll go for the Desmosedici.

Every motorcycle manufacturer on the planet has studied the world's largest-by-far consumer economy and decided against what you're pushing. I guess you're a lot smarter than all of them, eh?
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #629
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

You can quote it but can't read it? Price wasn't to be considered, imagine you could easily afford either. And the Desmo doesn't exist, remember? Which one? I don't see why this is difficult for you two.

Lets say you could borrow either for a week, a month, a year. Which one. Are you a gearhead moto junkie or a scooterista with a fear of refinement and quality?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #630
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Quote:
You can quote it but can't read it? Price wasn't to be considered, imagine you could easily afford either. And the Desmo doesn't exist, remember? Which one? I don't see why this is difficult for you two.

Lets say you could borrow either for a week, a month, a year. Which one. Are you a gearhead moto junkie or a scooterista with a fear of refinement and quality?
In your scenario I'm a martian with a short inseam. The seat height on both bikes is too high.

I'll pass.

For sticking a gun to my head I'll destroy your puny little planet.