Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #661
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninVT View Post
You're speaking as a motorcycle enthusiast and gearhead. If Honda isn't targetting current enthusiasts(which is very obviously the case after reading their website description of the bike) then the typical purchaser/owner will have no fricken' idea if a 359lb single is too much, too little or just right. They will not care about lap times, whether the bike is 1/10th of a second quicker or slower than another bike in the quarter mile or if it has Brembo RCS master cylinders.

The only reason Honda has it in their "sportbike" category is because they don't have a "commuter" tag on their website. It's a Cub. It's a big wheeled scooter with motorcycle pretensions. It's going to be reliable, weather the elements fairly well and be fun to ride around town.

It needs to look cool, get good gas mileage and be safe(ABS). The ABS makes it easier to clear past a spousal unit("Look Honey, it has ABS just like our Volvo wagon!"). So does the gas mileage("Just imagine how much money we'll save on gas when I commute to work!"). Looking like a sportbike doesn't hurt at all either. Now that women ride more, maybe Honda will sell them two at a time to young, urban couples where they used to just sell one Cub or Dream 40 years ago to a similar couple.

It's a tarted up TU250 except it's got ABS and to most folks under 40....it will be a lot more desirable.
This.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #662
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
This.

Agreed!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #663
rosmoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Over here in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Took the CBR 250R out for a ride a few days ago. Two up, put about 180 K on it. Great little bike, will cruise 65-70 MPH all day. Hit a top speed of 85 MPH in 6th gear, might go a little faster, but not much. At 100KPH or 60 MPH it is turning 6000 RPM's, very comfortable. The bike showed up in the dealers showrooms about 2 weeks ago & a few of the rental shops already are rented them out for about $25 a day. Cost over here is around 110,000 Baht or $3600 for the non ABS models, out the door. So far, they come in Red, Black or Grey. If only Honda would make a rear rack for the bike, so one could add a top case. Honda, are you listening ??? Any questions from the USA, fire away. (I read one reply that gas is over $3.00 a gallon in the states, over here it is $4.50 a gallon. Just wait a little longer USA. We got around 78 MPG on our ride.)

rosmoe screwed with this post 12-29-2010 at 08:40 PM
rosmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #664
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Rosmoe, thanks for the write up. If you've ridden the Ninja 250 also it would be great to compare the two.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #665
spotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
A 359 single is not light though is it? Its amazing that Honda found a way to develop a all new bike, engine and frame, that was somehow cheaper than sinmply bringing in the already developed and much acclaimed VTR250 it already has in production.

Both bike would need certification so the $ they saved was somewhere else. Quality? Materials? Labor?

How many times are you going to go over this exact same question, and have it answered in numerous ways, in the same thread? You call it a sport bike, but then say 359 pounds isn't light (even though it's lighter than every other sport bike for sale in America right now by at least 50 pounds). You compare it to literally ever bike that has been sold worldwide over the past 40 years at some point, changing the bike you're comparing it to as you change the criteria you're judging it on, somehow constantly missing or ignoring the point that it wasn't built to compete against every bike manufactured for the past 40 years in dozens of different ways. "OMG ITS HEAVIER THAN A DIRTBIKE! IT GETS WORSE GAS MILEAGE THAN A 50cc SCOOTER! ITS GOT LESS POWER THAN A SPORT BIKE! ITS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN A BICYCLE!"

Worst. Troll. Ever.

spotch screwed with this post 12-30-2010 at 10:05 AM
spotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #666
spotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosmoe View Post
Over here in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Took the CBR 250R out for a ride a few days ago. Two up, put about 180 K on it. Great little bike, will cruise 65-70 MPH all day. Hit a top speed of 85 MPH in 6th gear, might go a little faster, but not much. At 100KPH or 60 MPH it is turning 6000 RPM's, very comfortable. The bike showed up in the dealers showrooms about 2 weeks ago & a few of the rental shops already are rented them out for about $25 a day. Cost over here is around 110,000 Baht or $3600 for the non ABS models, out the door. So far, they come in Red, Black or Grey. If only Honda would make a rear rack for the bike, so one could add a top case. Honda, are you listening ??? Any questions from the USA, fire away. (I read one reply that gas is over $3.00 a gallon in the states, over here it is $4.50 a gallon. Just wait a little longer USA. We got around 78 MPG on our ride.)

Is the passenger seat separate from the rider seat? If so you could cut the covering off it and bolt a top case to it like the 1st generation SV650 riders do (makes for a super-stable setup as well as easy on-off).
Old 12-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #667
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
"OMG ITS HEAVIER THAN A DIRTBIKE! IT GETS WORSE GAS MILEAGE THAN A 50cc SCOOTER! ITS GOT LESS POWER THAN A SPORT BIKE! ITS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN A BICYCLE!"

well played, sir. :golfclap
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #668
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,910
Navin, I'm eagerly awaiting the new bike that your apparent and implied engineering prowess will produce. I fully expect it to weigh 250 lbs, make 60 HP and cost $3500. Get busy.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #669
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post
Navin, I'm eagerly awaiting the new bike that your apparent and implied engineering prowess will produce. I fully expect it to weigh 250 lbs, make 60 HP and cost $3500. Get busy.
Don't forget LED lighting and ABS.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #670
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosmoe View Post

Thats for the over view of the bike, id love more of your input if you can. Hopefully with some pictures. Any bike that gets over 70mpg is amazing. But $4.50 is still cheap for gas in comparison to other countries, not bad.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #671
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninVT View Post
You're speaking as a motorcycle enthusiast and gearhead. If Honda isn't targetting current enthusiasts(which is very obviously the case after reading their website description of the bike) then the typical purchaser/owner will have no fricken' idea if a 359lb single is too much, too little or just right. They will not care about lap times, whether the bike is 1/10th of a second quicker or slower than another bike in the quarter mile or if it has Brembo RCS master cylinders.

The only reason Honda has it in their "sportbike" category is because they don't have a "commuter" tag on their website. It's a Cub. It's a big wheeled scooter with motorcycle pretensions. It's going to be reliable, weather the elements fairly well and be fun to ride around town.

It needs to look cool, get good gas mileage and be safe(ABS). The ABS makes it easier to clear past a spousal unit("Look Honey, it has ABS just like our Volvo wagon!"). So does the gas mileage("Just imagine how much money we'll save on gas when I commute to work!"). Looking like a sportbike doesn't hurt at all either. Now that women ride more, maybe Honda will sell them two at a time to young, urban couples where they used to just sell one Cub or Dream 40 years ago to a similar couple.

It's a tarted up TU250 except it's got ABS and to most folks under 40....it will be a lot more desirable.
DING, DING, DING.......The modern cub, Die Neue VolksMotorrad.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #672
Roughseas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Its selling for around USD 3350 (non ABS) and 3900 for the ABS model, here in India.
Roughseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #673
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,858
I just can't get past seeing Steve Martin in, "The Jerk" when I see Navin's comments. Kind of hard to take him seriously after that.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #674
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,861
Oh! Its a profit deal! That takes all the pressure off!

Yes, heavier than a dirtbike. Also far heavier than a 25 HP single cylinder 250 4t has a right to be. The weight wouldn't be near the issue it is if it had 45-50 HP.

I guess this is what excites "bike" guys these days? Moped MSRP and MPG? I don't get it. How many of you ran out and bought the revised 08 EX250? I know of one in this thread, maybe 2? Mine is gone, dull, boring chassie with no refinement.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #675
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Oh! Its a profit deal! That takes all the pressure off!

P.S. I should be sending more money next week as my friend Patty has promised me a blowjob.