Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,901
You are gonna scare away the ABS guys!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #677
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,858
Someone has to keep the thread going until JohninVT tells us if he's ridden a ninja 250 to compare.... or until they release the bike here.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #678
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
You are gonna scare away the ABS guys!
yea like Mr gelan who thinks you are my fake noob.
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #679
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

You guys may have to go it alone, yes without your fake noob Mr. OR. I'm getting the feeling I'm not gelling with the fuel injected, ABS, saftycrats with a $3999 bike budget these days!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #680
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
Oh! Its a profit deal! That takes all the pressure off!

Yes, heavier than a dirtbike. Also far heavier than a 25 HP single cylinder 250 4t has a right to be. The weight wouldn't be near the issue it is if it had 45-50 HP.

I guess this is what excites "bike" guys these days? Moped MSRP and MPG? I don't get it. How many of you ran out and bought the revised 08 EX250? I know of one in this thread, maybe 2? Mine is gone, dull, boring chassie with no refinement.
I sold my st1300 for my 08 ninja :).. I do like the moped like mpg, that is one of the key ingredients for alot of commuters including me. The weight is academic, its under 400lbs.

Alot of new rider's wont be looking at the weight of this bike, it will be judged by looks and the fact that its a good bike to start.

I think alot of places have a 30hp legal limit for beginners(england) so you could not really get a 50hp 250 for beginners.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #681
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Scorcho, not everyone is a beginner and the Mfgs have been detuning bikes since the tiered licensing began.

How is the weight academic? Its still got a max HP and mass it must propel. 25ish HP and 360 lbs. I know it doesn't matter according to guys who say that, but look back and accelleration comparisons are already being guesstimated against a EX250.

Great, now I'm back! Thanks Scorch!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #682
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
Quote:
Scorcho, not everyone is a beginner and the Mfgs have been detuning bikes since the tiered licensing began.

How is the weight academic? Its still got a max HP and mass it must propel. 25ish HP and 360 lbs. I know it doesn't matter according to guys who say that, but look back and accelleration comparisons are already being guesstimated against a EX250.

Yo Navin, instead of wasting your time on this thread, why don't you mosy on down to American Honda and apply for a job. Sounds like you got some ideas that could help them sell more bikes.

PS - I own a 2009 Ninja 250R.... and have a blast on it. Not quite as fun as my WR250X, but the 250R was my first street bike and I'm pretty happy with it. YMMV.

PSS - Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see another CBR250RR, but the bean counters at Honda probably aint gonna let that happen.

GotMojo? screwed with this post 12-30-2010 at 02:41 PM
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #683
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

And if they didn't the bean counters in this thread would kill it anyway!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #684
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
And if they didn't the bean counters in this thread would kill it anyway!
As would the bean counting customers.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #685
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
I think it's as simple as this... Honda saw how many Ninja 250R's Kawasaki was selling.... I believe it is Kawasaki's best selling bike worldwide.... so they decided to make a bike that was slightly more "modern" than the 250R (ABS and FI) and match the little Ninja's price. So, that's what they've done with the CBR250R... it's as simple as that. And they're hoping they will sell just as well.

Now... some of us want a CBR250RR or a CBR400RR, but one of those would have to cost around $7000-8000, and maybe Honda thinks a bike like that would eat into sales of the CBR600RR.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #686
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:

You need to let it go. An Aprilia RS250 weighs 370lbs wet. An FZR400 weighs 415lbs wet. An NC30/VFR400 weighs 405. A CBR250RR weighs 360. High spec means MORE weight sometimes. Stiffer frames made from exotic materials still weigh more than spindly frames and swigarms made from steel. Big forks, big disc brakes mean added weight...why can't you grasp that?

The highest spec. small displacement bikes that have been sold worldwide the last 20 years all weigh as much or 10% more than this bike. The Ninja 250 weighs 375lbs.

When a manufacturer sells a bike in the US, they have to figure that you're fat. They have to assume you're going to heave your fat ass on the little bike and then have your fat wife with her muffin top showing climb on the back. Then they have to assume that you two fatty Mcfatties are going to ride down to McBurgerKingWendy's to each eat double quarter heart stoppers with extra cheese. How the hell is a 250lb, spindly-ass dirtbike rear subframe gonna handle Yolanda on the back with her supersized Oreo McFlurry?

Here is a novel thought...consider that a heavier bike is far easier to tune the suspension for because rider/passenger weight are a lesser percentage of the overall weight. That means the forks and shocks can have better performance over a smaller range.

Here is another novel thought, how about you stop comparing a beginner's streetbike to an MX bike? Compare it to other streetbikes. If you do a little research, you might be embarassed that you pushed the meaningless comparison for so long.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #687
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
Skinny costs.
Skinny with power costs more.
My Duke weighs in @ 325 and puts out 65 ponies.
It cost approximately 3 times in Can. dollars what the little
Honda will go for.
I can guarantee you it's not 3 times as much fun.

I think Honda should be commended for bringing in the package they've
put together @ the price they're asking.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #688
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,892

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #689
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
Skinny costs.
Skinny with power costs more.
My Duke weighs in @ 325 and puts out 65 ponies.
It cost approximately 3 times in Can. dollars what the little
Honda will go for.
I can guarantee you it's not 3 times as much fun.

I think Honda should be commended for bringing in the package they've
put together @ the price they're asking.
I've ridden the 690 Duke and a new EX250. I agree with you. No way the Duke is 3 times as much fun. More like 10 times. If you ride that and don't acknowledge the massive difference in riding pleasure, you may well be dead. See a doctor!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #690
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post

Now... some of us want a CBR250RR or a CBR400RR, but one of those would have to cost around $7000-8000, and maybe Honda thinks a bike like that would eat into sales of the CBR600RR.

I don't think that's it. I think they know it wouldn't sell at all because people would look at it and say "This bike costs almost the same amount as the 600cc machine -- so why would I buy the machine with less displacement for almost the same money? I'll just get the 600."

A 250 has to cost a lot less than the 600 -- or people are just going to buy the 600.

Most people are not thinking about things like tire costs and fuel costs when considering any bike with "RR" on the end of the name.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote