Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #796
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,103
Yeah and you gotta wonder what putting a decent free-flowing exhaust on the thing could do. It's down 3.86 RWHP from the Ninja 250...I wonder if a good exhaust could get you 2 back?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #797
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
From the article, sounds like the CBR could go up one on the countershaft sprocket...

That would probably lower its actual top speed and cause further struggles to hold a cruise. Sounds like, ah-hem, a WR250r with an extra 60lbs tacked on it! Where did I read that before?

The already not fast EX250 is near a second quicker 0-60? CBR=sluggo.

"Yeah and you gotta wonder what putting a decent free-flowing exhaust on the thing could do. It's down 3.86 RWHP from the Ninja 250...I wonder if a good exhaust could get you 2 back?"

And then you put an exhaust on the Ninja Devilninjadog?

FI isn't automatically better than a well sorted carb. If the +08 EX250s run like the last gen, under $10 in brass and a few washers with an hour or two of tune/test and it'll be as good without a fuel pump to go bad! Gravity just plain works.

This will be a friggin Gold Wing in some markets, sounds like a glorified scooter for the USA.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #798
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,086
and for all the hype about ABS whats the deal with the front end diving when the rear brake is applied? they did not seem very impressed maybe not competition for the ninja after all. did Honda miss the boat again? as they have as it seems for years.
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #799
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad View Post
and for all the hype about ABS whats the deal with the front end diving when the rear brake is applied?
Linked brakes. I don't understand how you do any slow-speed maneuvering with this system...I use the rear brake a lot while doing very tight U turns and tricky slow speed maneuvers. Seems like a linked system would put me on my face....

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #800
fly2low
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
For me, this test confirms Honda's aim of global market. In many parts of the world where the streets are narrower and rougher, CBR250R will be golden:

- "softer" suspension means a more compliant ride.
- "light"front end means flickability/navigability for city and B roads.
- the powerband seems to confirm city/B roads riding. A lot of people in the world in the market for this bike won't even have a chance to go beyond 70MPH (heck, in some parts of the world, bikes like these are even prohibited to enter the freeways or toll roads).
- a bigger room means more room for 2-up riding.

not to mention that:

- It still has the shiny shine pretty plastics (image wise: popular in Asia, maybe not so in Europe lately).
- MPG is 50-60% better. Fuel economy is really important in Asia and Europe where gas prices are more expensive and more people actually commute on 2 wheels.

Unfortunately, our geography and demography are different, if not opposite, from the rest of the world in terms of motorcycle riding.

This bikes serves as a beginner bike and/or playbike here while it serves as a real-world do-it-all versatile bike somewhere else. It sounds like Honda has a global winner (read: cash cow) to me. Not all of us rides like Adam Waheed, anyway :).

It looks like Honda tunes this bike more as a sporty commuter/lightweight tourer in the spirit of VFR and not CBR. But it seems that the marketing department thinks that CBR has a more brand recognition and appeal. This product isn't aimed to beat the Ninja; it is aimed to make more $ for Honda.
fly2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #801
Ultra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post
Linked brakes. I don't understand how you do any slow-speed maneuvering with this system...I use the rear brake a lot while doing very tight U turns and tricky slow speed maneuvers. Seems like a linked system would put me on my face....
Linked brakes is not a new thing. Beemers and Touring Hondas use linked brakes and have for years. The front brake is not applied equally in the linked system; only 20% of the pressure is applied to the front brake. To get the nose to dive, you'd have to really stomp that rear brake, which is exactly what the reviewer said he did:

"One time I made the mistake of jamming on the rear brake as I was making a turn on the side of the road and it felt like the front tire might fold."

In that situation, the reviewer may have had a lockup instead. And if you watch the vid, that same reviewer constantly locks up the rear of the Ninja.

In normal slow speed maneuvers, the linked ABS system works fine.
Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #802
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,879
Sat on them both today. I'm not a huge guy (5'10", 175) and they felt really small to me. knees almost rubbing the fairing in street clothes, narrow bars, very little luggage capacity.

I still want a new 500 to come out, but if not I'll just keep buying the 650 class bikes.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #803
Ultra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Of course they felt small, they are small bikes built for little Asian people.
Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #804
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
Linked brakes is not a new thing. Beemers and Touring Hondas use linked brakes and have for years. The front brake is not applied equally in the linked system; only 20% of the pressure is applied to the front brake. To get the nose to dive, you'd have to really stomp that rear brake, which is exactly what the reviewer said he did:

"One time I made the mistake of jamming on the rear brake as I was making a turn on the side of the road and it felt like the front tire might fold."

In that situation, the reviewer may have had a lockup instead. And if you watch the vid, that same reviewer constantly locks up the rear of the Ninja.

In normal slow speed maneuvers, the linked ABS system works fine.
if only 20% of the braking is applied to the front and it locks up how can this be good for a new rider? do you work for Honda?
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #805
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2low View Post
It looks like Honda tunes this bike more as a sporty commuter/lightweight tourer in the spirit of VFR and not CBR. But it seems that the marketing department thinks that CBR has a more brand recognition and appeal. This product isn't aimed to beat the Ninja; it is aimed to make more $ for Honda.
Yes. In some parts of the world this will be the best Honda the market can afford. The current 150cc Honda Comet is a premium motorcycle south of the equator, and this trumps it.

Even in the UK I see quite a few people on 125cc bikes commuting; that number will pick-up as the weather does, as petrol prices rise, and as our cities get (even) more congested. I can see a niche for this bike, for sure.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #806
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,445
CBR250R vs Ninja 250
Old 02-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #807
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,662
I really think the KLX250SM would make a better direct comparison to the CBR250... at least performance wise. But then again, the KLX-SM has much better suspension parts and costs quiet a bit more...
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #808
spotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
yup.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #809
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchxout View Post
I wish Honda would offer this 250 instead.

Oh hell YEAH!!
Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #810
fly2low
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
I really think the KLX250SM would make a better direct comparison to the CBR250... at least performance wise. But then again, the KLX-SM has much better suspension parts and costs quiet a bit more...
I am 6' 230 lbs. Yamaha WR250X and Ninja 250R don't feel cramp while KLX250SF does. KLX's dimension is like 8/10th of the WR. Honda CRF230F is even smaller and shorter. I have yet to see if the CBR250R will fit me.
fly2low is offline   Reply With Quote