Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #76
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West
Like most of their bikes
That's how Honda maintains their position as the top selling Japanese marque year after year, with the flop.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #77
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,158
Cool little bike. Likely to be too expensive...but cool. Even if price was equal, I'd probably go for the Kawasaki because of the twin vs. single. I guess if I absolutely had to have ABS in a tiny motorcyle this would be the one. That seems like a pretty small niche market to me though.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #78
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs900s
Cool little bike. Likely to be too expensive...but cool. Even if price was equal, I'd probably go for the Kawasaki because of the twin vs. single. I guess if I absolutely had to have ABS in a tiny motorcyle this would be the one. That seems like a pretty small niche market to me though.
It's a lot bigger market since the Buell Blast went away.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #79
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
I like it. Glad to see Honda is sending them to the US, should be a good seller for them.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #80
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzoom
It seems like a lot of people are still getting used to the idea of publishing curb weights. The 250 Ninja is over 370 lbs.
And a CBR600RR is 410 lbs.

I like it, but as others have said it should have been a twin to compete with the Ninja 250.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #81
stik__boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
And a CBR600RR is 410lbs
EXACTLY!!!
With physically waaaay bigger engine, way bigger wheels, bigger tank, more plastic, brakes, forks......exhaust.....oh, no....wait on that last one! Lol
2008 Ninja 250 CCS racer
stik__boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #82
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
And a CBR600RR is 410 lbs.

I like it, but as others have said it should have been a twin to compete with the Ninja 250.
I am a relative noob to street bikes, but I don't quite understand the above statement. Why should the Honda have been a twin? I have a Ninja 250R that is a twin, and my other bike is a WR250X single... and from my butt dyno, the WRX will smoke my Ninja in acceleration, and it also cruises better above 60mph. So why can't this CBR250R be similar to my WR250X's motor?
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #83
stik__boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
Come with me if you want to live..

Hunh?????
2008 Ninja 250 CCS racer
Old 10-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #84
stik__boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo?
I think Kawasaki sells more Ninja 250R's than any other bike in their line. Lots of people buy these small bikes, especially beginners, and maybe Honda wants to tap into that market. Not every young kid (or squid wanna-be) lusts after R6's. Seems like most of the guys around here riding those bikes don't even use a 25% of what the bike is capable of because you simply can't on the streets, unless you want hassled by the law, or worse, killing yourself.
Agreed......never implied the R6 was a "better" choice.......I'm just saying most kids would go for the R6. I don't care if Kawasaki sells more 250's......ever peruse CL looking for one......their all "woman owned, first bike"
2008 Ninja 250 CCS racer
Old 10-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #85
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
A 250cc single with Honda reliability. Whats not to like.

Although I doubt I'm in the market as my 250cc scooter is a more rational commuter for my commute. If I ever get tired of the Buell I'd give the Honda a look.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #86
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik__boy
Agreed......never implied the R6 was a "better" choice.......I'm just saying most kids would go for the R6. I don't care if Kawasaki sells more 250's......ever peruse CL looking for one......their all "woman owned, first bike"
Are you saying more women buy 250R's than men? I highly doubt it. Maybe you see more "woman owned, first bike" ads because a woman is more likely to buy a bike, not like riding it, and then sell it. Hopefully that doesn't come across the wrong way, but I'm sure it's true. You see WAY more men riding motorcycles in general than women.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #87
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,189
Feck I hope that this ushers in an era of importing the great small cc Jap bikes.*crosses fingers* C'mon Honda!!!

Scramster
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #88
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
You guys keep talking about entry bikers; but, I see it as being well positioned for commuters. FI for easy starting in the morning and ABS, which even those who dislike it will generally agree is a good option to have for all weather commuting.

As far as the power, It will probably travel at real commuting speeds (which, contrary to the day dreams, are not 100+ mph). FI, ABS, and enough body work to reduce wind fatigue, it looks well positioned for the commuter market. The only issue that remains is pricing. I hope Honda realizes that they need to get a new generation of riders so that they can enjoy the benefits of the brand loyalty that they have had in the past.
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #89
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_C
You guys keep talking about entry bikers; but, I see it as being well positioned for commuters. FI for easy starting in the morning and ABS, which even those who dislike it will generally agree is a good option to have for all weather commuting.

As far as the power, It will probably travel at real commuting speeds (which, contrary to the day dreams, are not 100+ mph). FI, ABS, and enough body work to reduce wind fatigue, it looks well positioned for the commuter market. The only issue that remains is pricing. I hope Honda realizes that they need to get a new generation of riders so that they can enjoy the benefits of the brand loyalty that they have had in the past.
This is true. I would think a modern design like this should be able to get a 70-75 mpg, and with weather protection would be a much better commuter than my Nighthawk 250.....
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #90
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
I've been one to widely criticize American Honda for conservative and bland product strategies, but they deserve a lot of credit for this gutsey move. I'm not groking the single vs. the twin, but let's wait and see how this thing reviews - Ninjaette 180-parallel twins aren't exactly soul-stiring and the single may give it some needed character and be unique - how many single-cylinder sportbikes have we seen over on this side of the pond? And the ABS option and fuel injection are inspired product decisions.

Bravo to Honda. This could be a very cool bike and absolute gas to ride on a tight/twisty road. If they get an ABS model under $5K, it would be hard to resist.

Now Honda, how about that CB1100F?

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote