Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #106
Fictitious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd
Sharp looking bike, but I think they would have been better served with a twin of some sort. To me a thumper and a sport bike don't really go together... now if they made a real dual sport with this, instead of the crap they have now...
Amen brother :P The current honda dual sport offering is pathetic what happened to the days when they had an entire range of dual sports? (XL250, XL350, XL500, XL7903912 :P)
Old 10-29-2010, 02:50 AM   #107
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Oddometer: 345
Talking So...you beat me to this post. Lol.

If this bike makes 26 REAR WHEEL horse power, which I suspect that it does, then it will be damn near as powerful as the Ninja 250, and it does weigh 15 pounds less than the little Ninja...and the torque will come on much easier than with the Ninja (no power below 9 thousand RPM). I for one think this new CBR is a sweet little bike, and I think Honda is genius for bringing a 250 street bike back to the US market. I will however grudgingly admit that this bike, IF compared to the old 4 cylinder screamer 250's of the 90's, would be a bit of a dissapointment. But a modern bike like that would cost 10 grand and no one would buy it...except me if I had the money!

Below is what I just posted over on tw200forum. A site that I visit regularly... anyway now I see some information that I didn't have when I posted this stuff a minute ago, so I'll have to do some editing to reflect that...lol.

I've been saying for several years now that Honda would be very smart to bring back a version of their 250cc sports bike. And they've done it! I'm very excited about this model and I believe Honda will be able to steal a fair portion of market share from Kawasaki (Ninja 250...)! It is fuel injected and it looks great IMO. I'm guessing that the bike has a six speed transmission. A five speed just wouldn't make any sense in a machine like this. My only slight concern is if Honda has made the single cylinder engine underpowered. I don't think they would make that mistake. They know better...right? I'm sure the engine power output will be at least on par with something like that of a WR250R; that is at least where it will need to be to really compete with the little Ninja. I just wish I could afford one Now I'm just waiting for Honda to come out with a 300-500 CC, fuel injected, six speed dual sport, which I believe could definitely steal some market share from KTM (and I also believe that Honda will actually do this soon - they'd be stupid not to IMO). Anyway check out the new CBR here:

http://powersports.h...11/cbr250r.aspx
Old 10-29-2010, 03:06 AM   #108
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Oddometer: 345
I disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
They won't bring it over because it won't compete with the 250R. Beginners are going to choose the two cylinder bike over this one. It's probably a fair bit slower than the 250R up top as well.
If it makes 26 horsepower (which I have just read and have assumed is at the rear wheel, which I believe to be true), the new CBR will be only 2 hp down from the Ninja 250, and it is a little lighter. It looks more modern than even the latest version of the little Ninja, and it is fuel injected. These are both great and hugely important selling points in the current US beginner motorcycle market. I'd be willing to bet that this bike will be very serious competition for the Ninja 250! If the 26 hp figure is actually at the crank (pretty sure it's not...), well then it may have trouble competing with Kawasaki. But even if that is the case Honda would still sell a few because of the styling and the fuel injection, especially if they get the price right.

kj7687 screwed with this post 10-29-2010 at 03:17 AM
kj7687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #109
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj7687
If it makes 26 horsepower (which I have just read and have assumed is at the rear wheel, which I believe to be true),
When was the last time a manufacturer quoted rear wheel HP? It's almost always BHP (at the crank).

But I'm really starting to split hairs now. Honda is, in fact, bringing this bike here which is FANTASTIC news whether that HP figure is at the wheel or not! I agree that we need lots more small bike choices.

IN fact, the more I read about this bike the more excited I get. If the price and the performance are on par, I might seriously consider trading my '07 Ninja 250 in on a new one of these. I love my little 250 and it's still so much fun to ride even with owning a much larger and faster machine. If the CBR250R stacks up well enough I would seriously consider it thought. Why? I'm really tired of the finicky carbs on the Ninja 250. EFI is going to be a HUGE selling point for this little bike.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 10-29-2010 at 07:21 AM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #110
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
I'm going to guess that Honda US and Canada will price the CBR250R to be competitive to the Ninja 250. It will be within $200 of the Ninja's price. Yes, the CBR250R has FI, but there are many examples of manufacturers putting FI on updates or variations of previous carb models and still keeping the price down. Look at the latest Honda Shadows. Plus the CBR125R has FI and it's got a reasonable price point.

The CBR250R and the Ninja 250 are direct competitors and I'm pretty sure Honda will price it strategically, not according to manufacturing costs. Oddballs like the new VFR and DN-01 were priced with no direct competitor in mind, by comparison.

Just my guess, but I would bet good money on it.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #111
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Quote:
I'm really tired of the finicky carbs on the Ninja 250. EFI is going to be a HUGE selling point for this little bike.
Have you had carb problems on your Ninja? Around the 1000 mile mark, I had a Yoshi pipe put on, along with a K&N Filter, and my dealer jetted the carb with a Dynojet kit. The bike has run perfectly for the last 2500 miles or so, so I'm curious what you meant by "finicky carbs".

But yea, I like that this CBR is FI. My WR250X has that and I like it (except for the failed fuel pump I had...replaced under warranty).
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #112
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
Would any of us have guessed five years ago that today we'd have this many 250-class streetbikes available?

Honda

CBR250
CRF230M
Rebel 250
Kawasaki
EX250
KLX250SF
Yamaha
VStar 250
WR250X
Suzuki
TU250

When I started riding in '05, the options were: the two cruiser offerings, a dual sport, or the Ninja 250

I'm gonna quit bitching about potential price points for a moment and celebrate the diversity that is available in the small bike market right now.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #113
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt
Would any of us have guessed five years ago that today we'd have this many 250-class streetbikes available?

Honda

CBR250
CRF230M
Rebel 250
Kawasaki
EX250
KLX250SF
Yamaha
VStar 250
WR250X
Suzuki
TU250

When I started riding in '05, the options were: the two cruiser offerings, a dual sport, or the Ninja 250

I'm gonna quit bitching about potential price points for a moment and celebrate the diversity that is available in the small bike market right now.
I wish the majority weren't small dualsports. We need more small STREET bikes.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #114
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Quote:
I wish the majority weren't small dualsports. We need more small STREET bikes.
dude, only three of them are motards. Two cruisers, two sportyish bikes, and a standard. two fuel injected, one with optional abs. A far better sample than the 500 class that hasn't changed in a decade.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #115
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
As a fan of small bikes, I am seriously considering one of these in the spring (I'll be keeping the Ninja and WRX).

It will be interesting to see how Kawasaki responds to this bike, if at all. Off the top of my head, i can see a few advantages over the current Ninja 250R...
- Fuel Injection
- ABS available
- Digital gauges
- Lighter weight

Haven't seen the CBR in person obviously, but as of now I like the styling of the Ninja better.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #116
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 957
I really don't get the hang-up with fuel injection (probably because I learned long ago how to make carbs happy, none of 3 EX250's I've owned had ANY carb issues once I put the bike on the road). I have, on the other hand, had FI failures that left me stranded because it's impossible to fix a high pressure fuel pump on the side of the road.

But if Honda grabs too much of the market and Kawasai thinks it's because of FI, they'll just bring the ROW EX250 with FI into the US. Hell, they may be doing that anyway... it's not like they have any NEW development costs to create an FI EX250.

BTW, I am (er, was) a Honda fanboy. They were my 1st, 2nd and 3rd ~ I rode roughly 170k miles on those 3 bikes. I really want to like this bike, but it just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. I really don't understand why the current VTR250 wasn't brought in vs. a whole new bike developed.
Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #117
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

I think this is where Honda's dealer strategy is going to screw them. n00b walks into a multi line dealer... Oh, cool, Ninja 250, TU250, maybe a motard.

Or you can drive two hours to try to glean some info out of a guy who'd rather sell you a CRZ hybrid.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #118
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo?
Have you had carb problems on your Ninja? Around the 1000 mile mark, I had a Yoshi pipe put on, along with a K&N Filter, and my dealer jetted the carb with a Dynojet kit. The bike has run perfectly for the last 2500 miles or so, so I'm curious what you meant by "finicky carbs".

But yea, I like that this CBR is FI. My WR250X has that and I like it (except for the failed fuel pump I had...replaced under warranty).
No I don't have problems per se anymore since I found out that I can't let it sit for longer than 3 weeks. Those carbs are freakin' tiny and gum up really quick with today's lousy gasoline. So I keep some sort of stabilizer in the fuel 24/7 now and drain the carbs if it will sit longer than 3 weeks.

It would be nice to not have to synchronize them every 3,000 miles either. I think what is mostly attractive about EFI to me is that I don't have to worry about how long the bike is going to be sitting around for as much and less maintenance.

My VFR is also carbureted and gives me no trouble. I've always figured that is because the carbs are larger and move a larger volume of air/fuel every time I ride the bike.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #119
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,513
Am I gonna be the first guy to ask if there will be a 350 BB kit? You guys are slipping!!! Mayb Honda left enough "meat" to get 400cc in there with a stroke?

I'll get Thumperracing on the phone...
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #120
Delta88
Knurly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd
Sharp looking bike, but I think they would have been better served with a twin of some sort. To me a thumper and a sport bike don't really go together... now if they made a real dual sport with this, instead of the crap they have now...
+1,000, and how about an NX-type adventure bike, as well. Asking for too much?
Delta88 is offline   Reply With Quote