Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #121
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,839
I like the look of this bike. I also like the look of the Suzuki TU-250. Does anyone know how they compare?

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #122
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,153
26 hp and 359 lbs? OK, it is what it is, but my SR500 is a claimed 30 hp and 359 lbs, but in reality probably 27 hp and 380 lbs. I love small bikes, and the CBR250R will get much better mileage than my SR500's 48 mpg, and it does make twice the power per cc, and it'll have a 6 speed, perhaps a closer ratio transmission, so maybe that will make it a "more funner" bike, but seeing as the weight being the same I wonder how much better a small bike it will be? Maybe it will be all around dimensionaly smaller so the weight will be more center massed. If this is really a small simple bike stampede starting then why doesn't Yamaha bring back the SR500, in the 400cc Japanese version? Its got 27 hp and 338 lbs (claimed).
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #123
Chiasmus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
The TU has about 75% of the power and the CBR will of course be far more performance-oriented (brakes, suspension) than the standard TU. I'd guess it's going to be a grand or so more, too.
Chiasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #124
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Oddometer: 343
Well...

I seem to remember reading that the 26 hp figure was from some bike mag or some such that got their dirty filthy hands on the CBR :) If that is true then it would most likely be rwhp as I thought. I'm pissed that I have to do a bunch of homework and go to work today, or I'd spend another hour or two researching this new bike haha. And I do agree with you that even if that figure is accurate and at the crank, it will still be a nice bike, just not quite as competitive. I think that Kawasaki will bring their European-spec Ninja 250 to the U.S. soon as an answer to Honda. But even then, the Honda should still be competitive (more or less so depending on how much power it actually makes...). Damn it man I so wish I had money to buy this. Unfortunately the best I can do right now is add it to my HUGE wanted list of motorcycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
When was the last time a manufacturer quoted rear wheel HP? It's almost always BHP (at the crank).

But I'm really starting to split hairs now. Honda is, in fact, bringing this bike here which is FANTASTIC news whether that HP figure is at the wheel or not! I agree that we need lots more small bike choices.

IN fact, the more I read about this bike the more excited I get. If the price and the performance are on par, I might seriously consider trading my '07 Ninja 250 in on a new one of these. I love my little 250 and it's still so much fun to ride even with owning a much larger and faster machine. If the CBR250R stacks up well enough I would seriously consider it thought. Why? I'm really tired of the finicky carbs on the Ninja 250. EFI is going to be a HUGE selling point for this little bike.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #125
kj7687
Uncle Sally

Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt
dude, only three of them are motards. Two cruisers, two sportyish bikes, and a standard. two fuel injected, one with optional abs. A far better sample than the 500 class that hasn't changed in a decade.
I wish Kawasaki would restyle and fuel inject, and then bring back...the Ninja 500. And who knows, maybe they will in a year or two?

Then again, on second thought, their 500 motor is all around getting a little old. I suppose they'd need to completely redesign that bike to make it really competitive these days.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #126
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
You can pretty much bet that the 26 claimed hp is NOT rear wheel. Read this article, which compared the CBR to the Ninja and quotes the Ninja power at 32 hp. The article doesn't state whether their talking wheel horsepower either way, which would mean odds are it's crank hp. At this early a stage, you're not going to hear about wheel hp, until someone does a full test.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...-honda-cbr250/

Considering that the Ninja 250 has 32 crank hp and 29 rwhp, so the CBR might have 23 rwhp. Not very exciting, but probably quite tractable and great for beginners/people who love wringing out their motors.
Superzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #127
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj7687
. I suppose they'd need to completely redesign that bike [500R] to make it really competitive these days.
They did, it's called the 650R.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #128
Delta88
Knurly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Then there's this from Motorcycle Daily...

"However, the motor could fall short in performance — it’s not the zesty, big-power mill out of the CRF250R motocrosser, but an all-new unit with lower compression and longer stroke, probably tuned for torque and newbie-friendliness. If the Ninja puts around 26 horsepower on the ground, expect the CBR to do somewhat less — although it may best it on torque."

....to throw on the fire.
Delta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #129
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,882
Could be close. I think we're just going to have to wait and see how it reviews once people actually start riding it. It IS lighter (but not by much) and is supposed to have slightly better torque. That may make up for the loss of power compared to the EX250, but nobody is going to know for sure until they can ride it! Hurry up spring!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #130
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,288
I don't think anybody has their hands on this new bike yet, so it's all pure speculation as to the RWHP, but given the current specs of the Honda vs. the Kawi (cylinder count, compression, bore/stroke), you can probably count on a 4-6 hp deficit at the rear wheel. That doesn't mean Honda couldn't tune the engine to a fare-the-well and make up the difference but that isn't likely on a "beginner bike" like this. Similarly, I doubt Honda is going to detune this bike such that it is down 8 or 10 hp as this would be suicide.

I don't think we can put any finer point on this right now with the data we have.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #131
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
my venture into road warriors

um... the engine in this bike sounds like it would be great in a modern dual sport.

think wr250r/x...

I've ridden the wrr, and it works great!!!!!!!

on the sport bike scene though, I'm not sure a thumper will be well received, no matter how well it performs

I could be wrong
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #132
kj7687
Uncle Sally

You're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
They did, it's called the 650R.
...but I still want a 500 version that weighs 20 pounds less.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #133
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictitious
Well there's that and then there is the fact that in (not sure about most States) but in a significant number of provinces here in Canada we are on a retarded insurance system whereby insurance is based purely on displacement, so it costs me about $600 a year (only basic coverage) to insure my 250cc dual sport from 1983 (read: pretty damn slow :P) and it would cost me the same to insure any bike from 100-400cc and then after that it instantly jumps to about double and keeps going up fairly quickly after. So doesn't matter whether your riding a bike with a low horse power/weight ratio or a high horsepower/weight ratio it'll still cost a stupid amount of money. So if you can make something like the older CBR250RR or 400RR here I think it would sell brilliantly, fast and exciting to ride while still being cheap on insurance. So I, for one, would love to see more small displacement bikes creep into the North American market, possibly just to make ICBC see that it's ridiculous to charge people the same amount to insure a 250cc dual sport that can't even make highway speed on a reliable bases as a 250cc sport bike capable of going much much faster. Anyway there goes my little rant for everybody today :P
Geebus, man, that's insane. Basic insurance on my ST1100 here in Texas is around $40/year. Full coverage bumps that to $149/yr.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #134
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj7687
...but I still want a 500 version that weighs 20 pounds less.
Canada gets the 400cc version that weights 20 lbs less this year.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #135
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Felmey
Geebus, man, that's insane. Basic insurance on my ST1100 here in Texas is around $40/year. Full coverage bumps that to $149/yr.
Here in yurp, insurance is a massive cost. I guess that's because we're congested and bump into each other a lot, and thefts are high. For example, a typical 18-year old will pay £2000 for a 1.0 litre car in the first year, mabe £400 for a 125cc motorcycle. Huge money.

Honda have started to offer free insurance for new riders, and this - combined with the low running costs of the 250 - could make it a huge hit over here. Everyday I see plenty of folks on 125 machines, and the 125 Varadero is massive in France.

They may be offering this bike in the USA as a cost-cutter, but the sales will come elsewhere imho.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote