Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #1351
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
Conceptual and/or rumored only at this point I'd guess? Looks awesome!
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #1352
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Works for me.

I sat on one yesterday, comfy.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #1353
Elam
Noobus Maximus

Oddometer: 51
Bump!

I'm a first time rider, took a MSF course and purchased the CBR about 3 weeks ago and have since put on about 700 miles. Paid about $5000, no abs, after fees and taxes. People were coming in and offering above sticker for it, but I had a deposit. Dealer said they can't keep'em in the room. I'm using it to commute 60 miles round trip from Dearborn, MI to Ann Arbor. I'd say I do about 70% cruising at moderate speeds( 45 - 60 ) and the rest is slower city traffic, with lots of stops. Weekends I just blow around town. I averaged 79 mpg my last fill up, with a lot of 6th gear at 50mph.

My route has a few miles of twisties and some sweet roundabouts so I work it pretty hard, but not hard enough to possibly dump it( yet ). Since I haven't owned a bike before, I can't comment on the speed / handling comparisons, but it zips me in and out of traffic easily. I love this bike. I got in my Accord the other day for the first time since I bought the bike and it felt like I was driving an 79 Thunderbird.

The manual states a valve check at 600 miles. I called the local dealer for an estimate and he said that most bikes never need a valve adjustment at that few miles and recommended to skip it. Should I bother?
Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #1354
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 715
Some of the bikes will need adjustment, and I don't know if you would be able to tell by the way it runs. You might consider another dealer. You should definitely change the filter and the oil. After I had the shop look at mine, I wished I had just done it myself. I suspect it's fine though.

Nice first pick, thanks for the story. May all your bikes work for you as good as this one!

I like the lights on the front. No doubt a motorcycle is coming at you. Very sharp for a factory set up, two side lights, and running lights in the blinker stalks, nice bright headlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elam View Post
The manual states a valve check at 600 miles. I called the local dealer for an estimate and he said that most bikes never need a valve adjustment at that few miles and recommended to skip it. Should I bother?
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #1355
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,034
I wouldn't skip the valve check at 600 miles. It's most likely to need the valves adjusted very early as opposed to any other time since the engine will be just past the worst stage of break-in.

If they're in spec and don't need to be adjusted, you just gave yourself some piece of mind.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #1356
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_C View Post
From the manual, the charging system puts out .337Kw @ 5,000 RPM
(an "unofficial" pdf of the manual is out, this information is found near the top of page 1-10)
That's 337 watts, right? Couldn't you run just about everything with that?
Robert aren't you in China, can you get the Cbr250r there, are you going to get one?
Old 07-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #1357
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
That's 337 watts, right? Couldn't you run just about everything with that?
Robert aren't you in China, can you get the Cbr250r there, are you going to get one?
Yes, that is 337 watts. I just wrote it the same way it appears in the service manual.

Yes, I am in China. I do not expect to see this bike here. For one thing, the largest bikes, generally, sold are 125cc. Second, it is not made in China. As such, it is unlikely that it would pass China's rigorous safety requirements, the first one being that it has to be made in China to be sold in the general market (yes, I now some companies have managed to get exception permits to import, or sale, larger bikes; but, those are very rare and very expensive).

I am thinking that when I return to America, to stay, I will sell my V-Star, which I have not been too happy with for several years, and purchase one of these. Of course, I have no idea when I will return to stay. I work for a while in China, then return to America to apply for jobs until the money I have saved up runs out, then I return to China and start saving again and repeat the cycle ( the last time I came back I got my MBA, which didn't actually improve my marketability).

So, this may be my next bike; but, because I have no idea when I will buy, that is not a sure thing. It seems to have what I want, bodywork for slightly more comfortable commuting, good fuel economy, ABS, standard ridding position, looks like it may be fun to ride, and I was also looking at the wattage to see if it would be able to drive a heated vest for winter use.

I am waiting to see the actual reviews and opinions from the people at are getting them. However, what I am looking for in it is a practical transportation bike.
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #1358
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

>However, what I am looking for in it is a practical transportation bike.

Thanks for sharing your story, very interesting. One of the reasons I'm so interested in this bike is because it is a 'world bike.' I've talked with people in at least ten countries who have bought this bike.

I don't know if any other bikes have had a world release of this scale, but it seems Honda has made good on that objective. So I do consider this little 250 to be ground breaking, certainly it's changing the production game and other companies are positioning to make similar designs.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #1359
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Hood Canal kayak park
Old 08-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #1360
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Rode the bike to Mt Rainier, 310 miles, 90 slab, mpg 72.2. The little 250 didn't let me down at all, it's a real hoot in the tight corners. It's little enough that you can lay it over and still fit inside your lane. It's an awesome little bike, I wouldn't take it up there if it couldn't scoot me along. Goes 75 on the highway no problem. It's a real thrill, it don't make you pucker, but it will scare the .. out of you! An elk cow jumped out in front of me and hits her knees on the deck, time for ABS, back locks up just like butter at 50. She recovers, carries on, I don't know what I would have done if all four legs splayed out. Elk ramp! No, didn't get a picture of that, (nothing to see here.)

Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #1361
northofhope
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Great photos - the red sure is pretty! Mine is black which I like very much but . . . red would be second choice (duh - we only got red or black in Canada). I must get some photos on my next little jaunt.
northofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #1362
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by northofhope View Post
I must get some photos on my next little jaunt.
You know how they are around here- if you don't show a picture, then you weren't really there.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #1363
northofhope
n00b

Lunch in Marblemont

Lunch on the way to Winthrop - I really was there! I can't believe I only took two pictures but it was the first weekend ride on the new bike and I was just having too much fun - forgot about photos
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #1364
northofhope
n00b

And one more . .
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #1365
Johnny Truant
Oh brother...

Oddometer: 1,158
Who has the ABS model? Reports?

I finally broke down and went in to the dealership to put a deposit on a non-abs model. I have been waiting and waiting and they kept telling me not to hold my breath.

So I go in today and the guy tells me they ordered 2 ABS bikes yesterday and they hope that they will be in in September.

If I went in last week I would have just pulled the trigger on the non. Now I talked myself into waiting.

Thoughts?!?! I am not concerned with the $500. I am thinking if it saves my ass even once it is worth it. If it doesn't ever come into play, it was better to have it and not need it etc.
Johnny Truant is offline   Reply With Quote