ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 08:23 PM   #1546
travlin
Adventurer
 
travlin's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Southern WV.
Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnflow View Post
From sugar grove wv, take 25 (redish knob road) to the top of the mountain, this is all paved now. It's lots of fun, but paved.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.5...!1m0!1m0?hl=en

Or, brushy fork road (paved) to shenandoah mountain rd (dirt) to left on fs 85 (dirt). These are big bike friendly roads although there are some tight switch backs.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.4...!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Note fs 61 that links these two routes, this road has a culvert washed out and is blocked off but you can go north on that road from stoney run, co rt 21/6.
thanks for the info. I believe I'll try the brushy fork route this Friday.
__________________
Ken Vreeke:
I ride because it's the ultimate therapy for the human condition. Plus, I like to go fast.
travlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #1547
turtlemoye
Studly Adventurer
 
turtlemoye's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Greensboro, NC
Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin View Post
I saw some discussion here awhile back about Reddish Knob, and think I'll check it out. What's the best way to come in from the west side on a GS? I like dirt, but don't want a route that will test my limits. I consider myself a good rider, but I'm not a young man anymore and will be riding alone. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You will not be disappointed. I always take the dirt way but certainly wouldn't do it on a big GS alone.

__________________
I am a fan of singletrack, single malts, and single women.

(distance + time)/shitty beer = what?
2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511
turtlemoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #1548
mow0709
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mow0709's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NoVA
Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin View Post
I saw some discussion here awhile back about Reddish Knob, and think I'll check it out. What's the best way to come in from the west side on a GS? I like dirt, but don't want a route that will test my limits. I consider myself a good rider, but I'm not a young man anymore and will be riding alone. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.


Was just up at Reddish Knob a couple of weeks ago on my 1200GS. I've ridden FS85 (right across the road), Gawley Ridge and Vepco Rd all by myself and haven't seen anything too bad on any one of them for the larger beasts. Ride conservatively, avoid the mud puddles and its totally doable.
mow0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:25 PM   #1549
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please
 
mtnflow's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Mount Sidney, va
Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ. View Post
I have crossed the washed out culvert on 61 a few times. I like that route. Might not be a good idea on a big GS. But the KLR likes it.

I may or may not have done that myself but I try to be a good citizen and follow the rules.

Like mow said, everything that we have discussed is ok on a big bike. I've done it on the 990, but I wouldn't do stone camp through union springs alone (I haven't done this section on 990 or really care to).

mtnflow screwed with this post 08-20-2014 at 11:33 PM
mtnflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #1550
jar944
Studly Adventurer
 
jar944's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Chantilly VA
Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post
Well then... I need to start shopping for an oversized tank for the 525 in ernest! I often find myself in a search for fuel when out in that area, even on bigger bikes. I was in Brandywine WV last night a bit after 9pm 20 miles into reserve with the closest open gas stations in Harrisonburg & Franklin. Ping me if you want to get something going. :)
Apparently I somehow missed this.. Yeah I saw your FB? post about the fuel (or lack of) in WV. I managed 65mpg on the BRT trip.

I would like to do another (single over night) trip
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #1551
turtlemoye
Studly Adventurer
 
turtlemoye's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Greensboro, NC
Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post
Well then... I need to start shopping for an oversized tank for the 525 in ernest! I often find myself in a search for fuel when out in that area, even on bigger bikes. I was in Brandywine WV last night a bit after 9pm 20 miles into reserve with the closest open gas stations in Harrisonburg & Franklin. Ping me if you want to get something going. :)
The BP in Brandywine used to have pay at the pump which I assume would be open 24 hours but I did notice when I was there last the card readers weren't working. Hopefully they get those fixed.
__________________
I am a fan of singletrack, single malts, and single women.

(distance + time)/shitty beer = what?
2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511
turtlemoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #1552
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,717
I have resorted to hiding gas on my routes a couple days ahead of time, when there was none in the area. Makes for a lot of planning ahead and extra driving in the truck.

But it beats walking
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #1553
tejohnsiii
AKA: Dusty Nuts
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Stafford, VA
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemoye View Post
You will not be disappointed. I always take the dirt way but certainly wouldn't do it on a big GS alone.

I took a very similar panoramic pic at Reddish Knob at last year's Shenandoah 500.
Attached Images
 
tejohnsiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #1554
windblown101
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Star Tannery, VA
Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemoye View Post
The BP in Brandywine used to have pay at the pump which I assume would be open 24 hours but I did notice when I was there last the card readers weren't working. Hopefully they get those fixed.
All the pumps in Brandywine had an "Out of order" sign on them when I was there last weekend. I was told by the gal in Foxes that they hadn't had any gas in a couple of weeks. I don't know what the story is with that.

Long Mountain General Store which is about 5 miles west of Brandywine on Rt 33 has gas. They are the folks that stuck around till I got there to fill up even though it was after hours. (Major props to them for this). Sadly they do not leave their pumps on after hours. On Sundays they close at 9pm. Not sure about other days of the week.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:57 AM   #1555
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Piedmont, NC
Oddometer: 208
Brt

Hey, I got the tracks from EC last year and made a run at the trail. Ended up getting sick with a stomach virus the first day and had to head back. Anyway, looking to make another run at it in Oct. Is there any major differences in the tracks since the 2013 version?
deputygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #1556
turtlemoye
Studly Adventurer
 
turtlemoye's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Greensboro, NC
Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene View Post
Hey, I got the tracks from EC last year and made a run at the trail. Ended up getting sick with a stomach virus the first day and had to head back. Anyway, looking to make another run at it in Oct. Is there any major differences in the tracks since the 2013 version?
I posed the same question a while back and EC said the changes were minor. I ended up with both sets but never compared them side by side and eventually deleted the first. I don't know that I could do it next month but I'm in Greensboro and always looking for people to ride with so feel free to hit me up if you're local.

Here's my ride report from late June: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990476
__________________
I am a fan of singletrack, single malts, and single women.

(distance + time)/shitty beer = what?
2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511
turtlemoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #1557
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Piedmont, NC
Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemoye View Post
I posed the same question a while back and EC said the changes were minor. I ended up with both sets but never compared them side by side and eventually deleted the first. I don't know that I could do it next month but I'm in Greensboro and always looking for people to ride with so feel free to hit me up if you're local.

Here's my ride report from late June: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990476
Hey Turtlemoye! I read your ride report last night, good stuff. Sending pm with a couple specific trail questions.
deputygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #1558
mbretm
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Southwest Indiana, Where the rivers meet
Oddometer: 7
BRT Tracks

Can anyone help me with getting gps tracks for the BRT? My friend Steve and I are hoping to leave Tuesday (Sept 16) from southwest Indiana on a DRZ400S and a WR250R. If we don't come with any, we'll probably just muddle our way through it.
__________________
Adventures suck when you're having them.
06 R1200GS, 07 DRZ400S, 82 R80 BMW/Dnepr 2wd, 76 YZ175C
mbretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #1559
avcygan
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Charleston SC
Oddometer: 11
Copies of tracks

Can you provide copies of the Blue ridge tracks
Thanks
Andy
avcygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #1560
flashbackmac
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: asheville.nc
Oddometer: 65
BRT files

anybody know why he stopped sending the files?Or if he will start sending again?
flashbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014