ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #1111
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB13 View Post
If you do this again let me know sounds like my kind of ride. AB
I'm planning on running half of it again October 25th down to Mountain Lake in Giles county. There is an organized dual sport event being help at MT Lake 10-26 through 10-27. They're calling it the Mountain Man challenge and the guys who laid the ride out are promising a ride that will be epic so I'll go check it out. Then I'll ride the BRT back home after the event on 10-27. You're welcome to tag along.

My only concern with riding the pace I did with multiple riders is people riding over their heads and getting hurt and the dust would've sucked if someone was behind me on the ride. You would almost have to ride on the leaders tail just to keep from riding in a dust cloud. But if you're game we'll give it a go.
MCCOYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #1112
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP11 View Post
I will be on a DRZ 400 and am a fairly experienced trail rider. I plan o riding pretty hard to minimize the number of days required.
Just be careful when approaching turns. I was very cautious and still had issues with the Bear hunters in their trucks with dogs sitting on the back side of a blind turn. You will also be better off running a consistent pace with very few stops. A big tank makes it easier to knock down the miles in minimum time.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #1113
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Got a link for the Mountain Man Challenge?
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #1114
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump! View Post
Got a link for the Mountain Man Challenge?
https://www.facebook.com/events/446465705462556/
Old 09-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #1115
dwheil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Recieved the files today and thanks again for all the work

Dennis
dwheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #1116
Dirt Roads
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Got the files - Thanks a bunch!!!
Dirt Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #1117
ChrisP11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I've downloaded the files to Basecamp and Google Earth and they look great. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I should use them in my Garmin 62s? For instance, should I try to connect the tracks I plan on using? I started trying to do this and ran into all kinds of problems. Being new to using a GPS for this kind of thing, I'm looking for any suggestions as to how best to use it to navigate the BRT!

Thanks
ChrisP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #1118
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOYBOY View Post
I'm planning on running half of it again October 25th down to Mountain Lake in Giles county. There is an organized dual sport event being help at MT Lake 10-26 through 10-27. They're calling it the Mountain Man challenge and the guys who laid the ride out are promising a ride that will be epic so I'll go check it out. Then I'll ride the BRT back home after the event on 10-27. You're welcome to tag along.

My only concern with riding the pace I did with multiple riders is people riding over their heads and getting hurt and the dust would've sucked if someone was behind me on the ride. You would almost have to ride on the leaders tail just to keep from riding in a dust cloud. But if you're game we'll give it a go.
No worries I have been around long enough to ride my own ride. I also have a new headlight Mike at Baja Designs claims its hard to break thats good because I like to stay out of the dust if I can Where the heck are you in MD I know alot of the old dirt guys Im a charter life member of MD Comp riders and a old GMER I used to run the ECEA stuff back when Jack L jr was the king. Thanks AB
Old 09-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #1119
jphii
OK, now what?

Oddometer: 1,487
Got mine today too. Now all I need to do is figure out the best route for the Ural.

jphii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #1120
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP11 View Post
I've downloaded the files to Basecamp and Google Earth and they look great. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I should use them in my Garmin 62s? For instance, should I try to connect the tracks I plan on using? I started trying to do this and ran into all kinds of problems. Being new to using a GPS for this kind of thing, I'm looking for any suggestions as to how best to use it to navigate the BRT!

Thanks
I clean up the overlaps and voids then joined together everything I was going to use so it was one 900+ mile track. That worked fine in a Zumo and a Montana but may have to many points for a 62s. What kind of problems ? Petty straight forward.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #1121
ChrisP11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
For instance, on the BRP track, I deleted the points all the way back to the Enchanted track so I could connect these two. I then highlighted these two as well as the next track (which I think is BRT W 05) but when I joined the tracks, I had arrows pointing in different directions.

Also, once I joined these 3 tracks, I tried to figure out what was next, but then couldn't add that next track to what I already had. I'm sure there is a simple solution, just trying to find it and get some advice from folks who have more experience. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks
ChrisP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #1122
J&J
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Looks to me that plenty of people are still doing the trail in October. So its only the Parkway closed OCT 1st correct?
J&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #1123
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&J View Post
Looks to me that plenty of people are still doing the trail in October. So its only the Parkway closed OCT 1st correct?
The BRP is not closed, facilities currently are, but that is furlough related. BRP only really closes for weather and construction. Now the SLD IS closed until the Government reopens. If I understand correctly, some of the trails are only open seasonally, but I couldn't say which, and October isn't a date that stands out to me.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #1124
J&J
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
The BRP is not closed, facilities currently are, but that is furlough related. BRP only really closes for weather and construction. Now the SLD IS closed until the Government reopens. If I understand correctly, some of the trails are only open seasonally, but I couldn't say which, and October isn't a date that stands out to me.
Ok got Ya Thanks we looking to try and plan something not the whole thing just a weekend trip. Will have a 4x4 going as well. What is the SLD?
J&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #1125
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,101
Thanks for the files EC; safe riding!...