ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #1216
jbrunning
n00b

Oddometer: 7
A few posts back he said he's targeting the beginning of April to have some edits made. I'd love the tracks too as I'm trying to plan a trip to the area this year.
jbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #1217
thebugslayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Dear Dave,

I got the tracks a year or so ago. Rode much of the BRT last summer and am planning to do iron mt. and surrounding area this summer. Should I get the spring 2014 edition of the tracks or are the changes too minor to worry about?

Thanks for all your work.

ps I would have pm'ed you about this but figure that others may have the same question.
thebugslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #1218
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,171
Dave,
Pm sent to you a few days ago.
A few of us Florida boys did the forest service roads of north Georgia, Carolina and East Tennessee for a week last March.

We'd like to give your route a go this March.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #1219
SOVARides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Can't wait to get out there and check more of it out. (I have a feeling I've done some of it.)

SOVARides screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 06:50 PM
SOVARides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #1220
DJ.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Just west of Elkhorn on the BRT yesterday

DJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:59 AM   #1221
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,171
Sure would like to get the tracks to this ride.
May will be here real soon.
Little help please.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #1222
turtlemoye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Sure would like to get the tracks to this ride.
May will be here real soon.
Little help please.
Not sure how long you've been waiting but I know he was in the process of updating the tracks and is likely waiting till he's finished. I'm pretty sure you'll have in time to plan your may trip.

(distance + time)/shitty beer = what?
2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511
turtlemoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #1223
oakleviathan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
DJ. did you guys happen to follow the trail any further? I was there a few weeks ago, actually dumped my bike right where yall are parked. I kept going on the trail and it got progressively worse. Ended up running out of oil (my fault) a couple miles from there and had to call for help to get myself out. that was an interesting ride. If anyone wants to go on a ride around Blacksburg (Butt Mountain on the BRT) I'm always looking for someone to ride with!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:12 AM   #1224
DJ.
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleviathan View Post
DJ. did you guys happen to follow the trail any further? I was there a few weeks ago, actually dumped my bike right where yall are parked. I kept going on the trail and it got progressively worse. Ended up running out of oil (my fault) a couple miles from there and had to call for help to get myself out. that was an interesting ride. If anyone wants to go on a ride around Blacksburg (Butt Mountain on the BRT) I'm always looking for someone to ride with!
Hey Oak
No we pretty much just went another mile or two up 83 and turned around. I have ridden that section many times and most recently last fall. But it was in no condition for me to be riding. Over my head.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #1225
oakleviathan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ. View Post
Hey Oak
No we pretty much just went another mile or two up 83 and turned around. I have ridden that section many times and most recently last fall. But it was in no condition for me to be riding. Over my head.
I consider myself a pretty technical rider... but I would have not made it down the other side with all my bones in the right place. It was difficult walking down the road. Sheets of ice everywhere.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #1226
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemoye View Post
Not sure how long you've been waiting but I know he was in the process of updating the tracks and is likely waiting till he's finished. I'm pretty sure you'll have in time to plan your may trip.
Last I heard, David(error cooled) is getting married in May and I believe he is honeymooning in Greece.

He probably has a lot going on in regards to this life changing event and I would think that trying to keep up with requests for BRT tracks has been pushed down the list.

David is a really good guy, I know him personally. I'm sure he will eventually get caught up here.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:02 PM   #1227
ChrisP11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Navigating the BRT

Just wondering if any experienced BRT riders have any suggestions for navigating the BRT using GPS. I plan on possibly riding the entire loop this summer, and i have received the tracks and loaded them into the Garmin basecamp. There are literally dozens of tracks. Is the best way to try to join them all together into one large track? Just looking for some suggestions as to how best to utilize my GPS for this trip.

Thanks in advance
ChrisP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:09 AM   #1228
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP11 View Post
Just wondering if any experienced BRT riders have any suggestions for navigating the BRT using GPS. I plan on possibly riding the entire loop this summer, and i have received the tracks and loaded them into the Garmin basecamp. There are literally dozens of tracks. Is the best way to try to join them all together into one large track? Just looking for some suggestions as to how best to utilize my GPS for this trip.

Thanks in advance
Some people really like following tracks but I don't and where possible I convert tracks to routes. When following tracks one has to zoom in really close and keep a constant eye on the GPS. I really like the heads-up on approaching turns provided by routes so that I don't have to obsess on the GPS and can enjoy the ride. Obviously there have to be routeable roads for this to work (not always the case with dual sport riding) and routes may not be a solution for all GPS models since Garmin has dumbed down most newer models and you can't switch off recalculation. My old GPS has "no recalculation" setting that is an essential feature imo.

There are Windows programs that will do this conversion automatically but the one I've tried creates too many vias so I usually just take the time to do it "by hand" in Mapsource. It's harder to do in Basecamp but possible. I load the track and draw a route on top of it by adding vias or waypoints as needed. Takes a bit of preparation but worth it for me.

thump! screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 03:17 AM
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:21 AM   #1229
GREWUPIN_D11
GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer: 62
[QUOTE=thump!;23828243 When following tracks one has to zoom in really close and keep a constant eye on the GPS. I really like the heads-up on approaching turns provided by routes so that I don't have to obsess on the GPS and can enjoy the ride.[/QUOTE]

Thump, agree totally on enjoying the ride. I accomplish this by using tracks, but editing or creating a track with an average of about 2 trackpoints per mile. This I do by displaying or creating the track in Google Earth, using trackpoints at major intersections or changes in direction, eliminate all the others.

Then while riding, use display mode on the GPS which shows only bearing and direction to the next trackpoint,, no map. The applicable display on the sport GPS I use (Garmin Foretrex 401) consists of a large arrow pointing in the direction of the next trackpoint, and along side it distance to that point. A quick glance from time to time is all it takes for routine navigation.
GREWUPIN_D11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #1230
DJ.
Gnarly Adventurer

I took all the tracks and converted them into a clear overlay map. I layered that over a topo map an loaded it on a Gamin Nuvie I also have a Garmin 62st that I run side by side with the tracks on it.