Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,365
You Only Live Twice

You only live twice, or so it seems

One life for yourself and one for your dreams.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-09-2015 at 07:47 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

">
Old 02-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #3
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Late 1960s

A kid in the neighborhood had one of these:

I don't care if your dream bike is a top of the line Ducati, BMW, Harley or whatever, it's not any more awesome than this bike was to me back then.

But it was out of my reach and just a dream.

Many kids had something like this:

I could have afforded one of the cheaper model minibikes and really wanted one but my parents wouldn't let me get one so it was just a dream.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-09-2015 at 02:34 PM
Old 02-09-2015, 08:11 AM   #4
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had my dream bike.

I was living in Southern California. I went out almost every weekend and rode the great canyon and mountain roads in the area with my friends. We ripped through the curves. Cops were scarce and 120+ MPH speeds where common.

I was living the dream.

klaviator screwed with this post 03-03-2015 at 02:09 PM
Old 02-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

For the last year or so I have been going back through my old pics and scanning some of them. I have a lot of great memories in those pics. I wish ADV had been around back then and I had done a better job of recording all those old memories.

Better late than never. I have decided to try to do that.

What's with the theme song in post #2?? Stay tuned and I will try to explain.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

In 1967 the James Bond movie "You only Live Twice" was released. The theme song for the movie was sung by Nancy Sinatra. I have always thought it was a catchy song and have been intrigued by the lyrics. I really don't know exactly what point the writer of the song was trying to make and I don't really care. I only care about these lines:

You only live twice or so it seems.
One life for yourself and one for your dreams

This is what those lines mean to me.

One life for yourself : This is the life you have to live. You go to work, mow the lawn, pay your bills, brush you teeth, etc, etc.

We all have dreams. They start when we are young and hopefully continue on until we die. I have had many dreams over my life. I'm sure many of you have had similar dreams. Dreams like; winning an olympic medal, being a superstar athlete, winning the lottery, owning exotic cars, boats, guns, etc. I imagine most people dream about what they will be what they grow up. I'm still working on that one but still have time since I have yet to grow up

But dreams are just dreams unless we get to live them.

and one for your dreams

This is what I consider to be that second life, the one where we get to live those dreams.

I have had two dreams that really stand out in my life. Partly because I have had them for so much of my life but mostly because I have had the chance to live those dreams.

As you might just guess, one of those dreams has always been owning and riding motorcycles

Using old pics that I have scanned and sometimes hazy memories, I will try to tell my story of living the motorcycle dream.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

1970 or so

I was in JR High. I had a friend who had a real motorcycle. It was a Sears 106. It looked similar to this pic I found online.

My friend's dad was a traffic cop. One day he responded to an accident where a young guy had crashed on a Sears 106 motorcycle. The riders dad was there and was irate because he had crashed a few times before. He asked my friends dad to just take the bike, he didn't want his son riding it anymore.

We were not old enough to legally ride on the street, of course this didn't stop my friend. We also had some trails and fields in some woods nearby. My friend explained how the throttle, clutch, shifter and brakes worked and let me loose in the woods.

That was my first experience with a motorcycle. I rode that bike a couple of times, enough to get the basics on how to ride.

Then it would be many years before I rode again. I was still interested in bikes but the dream kind of faded a bit as I was busy with other things and other dreams.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-09-2015 at 09:34 AM
Old 02-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Late 70s

I happened to notice some motorcycle magazines on the magazine rack in a store. I picked up a couple and read them. I was starting to dream about bikes again. Over the next couple of years a bought some more magazines.

I tried not to drool too much on the pages

Old 02-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #9
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

1980. Getting a taste of the dream.

For those of you too young to remember, things where a little different back in 1980. There was no Internet, no cell phones, no digital cameras, and motorcycles where quite a bit different from today. back then you met the nicest people on a Honda. The Honda 750/4 was still pretty new and was a huge bike.

1980 was the year I decided it was time to finally buy a bike. There was no Craig's List so I looked in the classified section of the local newspaper. I had decided that something like a Honda CB350 or Kawasaki KZ400 would be the perfect bike for me. I found a 1976 KZ400 in the paper and went and looked at it. It wasn't exactly what I wanted. It was a boring black and was the cheap model with drum brakes and no Tach. I didn't even have a license so I had the owner take me for a ride on it so I could see that it ran OK. I should have looked at some more bikes but I was young and impatient so I bought it. Not only that but I paid the full asking price of $670.

The owner rode it to my house and I forked over the cash. I was now the actual owner of a real motorcycle. I quickly went and got my motorcycle learners permit and went down to the local department store and picked up a 3/4 helmet. I figured it would be more comfortable if it had a nice and loose fit.

Back then if you wanted to take a pic you had to buy this stuff called film, load it into your camera, take not only the pic you wanted but also finish the entire roll before taking the film to the store to get it developed. Then you waited a few days before picking it up. It's no wonder then that people didn't take as many pics back then as today. However, I sometimes did all that and I did get a pic of me on my first bike:

Atgatt was another word that didn't exist back then. My typical "riding gear" consisted of tennis shoes, jeans, t-shirt and helmet. If it was cold I added a jacket and maybe sweat shirt and maybe some work gloves.

Speaking of helmet, I bought this one at an old department store called Uncle Bills. Besides being way to big, it had this snap on bubble shield. If I turned my head to the side at speed the wind would catch it and twist it way around on my head

It didn't take too long for me to wise up and buy a full face helmet that actually fit.

Despite all this, I had a blast on this bike. It felt incredibly powerful. I had to hang on when I twisted the throttle to prevent falling off the back
Well, it felt that way to me anyway Then there was riding around curves. I was in Northern Ohio which is not exactly known for curves but there where some. And there was always those freeway on and of ramps I was hooked on riding. I bought this bike to ride to the park on sunny weekends but was soon riding everywhere. My car just sat in the driveway gathering dust.........and rust.

Top speed? I don't remember but I'm sure I checked it out. I do remember that it would cruise at highway speeds but would turn into a jackhammer somewhere around 63MPH. The national speed limit back then was 55 so that was fast enough.

Then there was that great feeling I got anytime I was on the bike. Where I used to look at motorcycle riders in envy as they rode by, now I was that guy. I was BAAAAAAAAD. Or so I thought Actually I think I was a squid in training but I don't think that word as related to motorcycling had been invented yet either.

Was I living the motorcycle dream?

I don't know about that. I knew there was much more out there for me to experience but it at least was a taste of the dream.

I wish I had taken more pics but.......at least I took some.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-20-2015 at 12:15 PM
Old 02-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #10
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

The KZ400 started to run poorly and not have much power. One day it died on me. I was not a mechanic and had a job so I did the only logical thing, look for a new bike. My dream bike at the time was the newly released Kawasaki GPZ550.

This bike was a real breakthrough in performance for a middleweight motorcycle. It would be the perfect bike for a young squid like me.

So I went to the local Kawasaki dealer to check into getting one. The salesman there didn't even bother to talk to me when I came in. I had to flag one down and ask him about the bike.

Sorry, they are all sold out

What a bummer.

What about the KZ550?

They weren't interested in selling me one of those either. So i went to the local Suzuki dealer. They had a nice leftover 1980 GS550E and where willing to deal on it.

So I ended up buying the GS550E. It was my first ever new vehicle of any kind. I added a luggage rack on the back and a set of lower handlebars to make it a little sportier.

Here's a pic about a year later after I had added some saddlebags.

OK, so it wasn't a GPZ550 but according to the magazine tests it was a hair quicker through the quarter mile than a Porsche 911 turbo. It was faster than most of the high dollar exotic sports cars out there. Was this really important?

It was to me. Compared to modern bikes it wasn't very fast but it had an exciting powerband. It pulled OK at lower RPM but had a definite kick at high RPMs, It seemed to pull real hard until around 80 or 90. I did try running it up to top speed but it developed a very uncomfortable weave at just over 100 on the speedo.

Just like my KZ400, I rode the 550 everywhere; school, work, and fun rides on the weekends. I practiced hanging off on the inside just like I saw the magazine guys do. One day I took my favorite off ramp at my normal speed but without hanging off and quickly heard the dragging of metal parts on the pavement I discovered that the hanging off was not just to look cool.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-14-2015 at 08:41 AM
Old 02-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #11
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 928
Great thread!
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
B10Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Keep it coming. This is getting interesting.

2007 F650GS 1978 KZ400C1 1972 XL250
B10Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #13
goodquest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Subscribe
goodquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #14
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
Yes, very cool. Nice job with the old pics!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:15 AM   #15
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Yes, very cool. Nice job with the old pics!
Agreed. Very Nice.
Simba
simbaboy is online now   Reply With Quote