Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #376
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post

Anybody have a good name for the thread??
Ideas, creative, stupid, funny?
just put em up here... I got nothing.

How about "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Abuse"......
Old 04-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #377
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,681
Thanks Tom.
while Zen and Art in NO way describe me......LOL Abuse on the other hand

Jax' mediocre photo thread.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #378
JaxObsessed OP

My 650 is out of the basement for the first time since SEPT!! It's been on a diet.
Lost 30 LBs!!!

You get the ugly one.... I'll get the purrrrrrdy one.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #379
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 747
Cool2 Home Ground

Michaux is my home ground. The state forest boundary is 15 feet off my deck.

If you see a purple TDub riding the forest roads, it's me.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #380
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,712
I want to download some satellite photos of Michaux onto my GPS. What area is most of the roads in you guys are riding? I can download all of it, but I figured if it's only the east side, I could save some space.

anyway, Next Friday night I will be heading up to the RV (Roxbury) Saturday I am going to ride 1/2 of day 5 of the TPAT and follow it to the end at Pine Grove Furnace. I think it's all connectors so it would be a boring ride if I brought others :(.

then I will be back in 2 weeks :).
Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #381
JaxObsessed OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
Michaux is my home ground. The state forest boundary is 15 feet off my deck.

If you see a purple TDub riding the forest roads, it's me.
I'm jealous Paebr! Welcome to the fun. You are most likely to see SoPaRider on his immaculate yellow DR350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I want to download some satellite photos of Michaux onto my GPS. What area is most of the roads in you guys are riding? I can download all of it, but I figured if it's only the east side, I could save some space.

anyway, Next Friday night I will be heading up to the RV (Roxbury) Saturday I am going to ride 1/2 of day 5 of the TPAT and follow it to the end at Pine Grove Furnace. I think it's all connectors so it would be a boring ride if I brought others :(.

then I will be back in 2 weeks :).
Nice Will!
I ride all over the park, top to bottom, side to side, so I can't help you decide which maps to take. Though, I will say that the aerial photo overlays were pretty slow to refresh on my PN40, and really kind of useless to me. So I took them off. I prefer the simple topo for getting around.

FYI all,
Soon I am going to start posting stuff from all my rides in here. I'm going to change the name to JaxRides, and include photos from the last several years of moto photography.......
Hope you enjoy it.
Here is a sample from last weekend in the Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia:

JaxObsessed screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 07:14 AM
Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #382
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 462
Route suggestions?

Hi all, noob from MD and planning on riding Michaux (South) this weekend, and looking for opinions.

So far this (google maps) is my planned route around Michaux, any suggestions? I'm looking for dirt roads (the worse the condition, the better ). Any creeks to cross?

I'm based near DC, so it'll take me about 1 hour & 1/2 to get to Rattlesnake Run Rd so I'll have to limit myself to about 3 hours max of riding around the forest (about 6 hours total), so I'll rather just stick to the South side of the park this time.

Thanks in advance!
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #383
Denny Mann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Everything is pretty tame without any stream crossings. The worst areas are located at the extreme north and south ends. The northern part of Ridge Road and all of Biesecker Gap Rd. in the south. Enjoy the views and the wildlife of Michaux.

If you like water let me know because I have a water ride 20 miles west of Michaux. I rode it Monday night and the one crossing was 6 inches over my pegs.
Denny Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #384
JaxObsessed OP

Thanks DM. Lupin, Denny is correct. All the vistas are marked on this map.

I really like the views.
Have fun.

JaxObsessed screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 05:55 AM
Old 05-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #385
Slim Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
Hi all, noob from MD and planning on riding Michaux (South) this weekend, and looking for opinions.

So far this (google maps) is my planned route around Michaux, any suggestions? I'm looking for dirt roads (the worse the condition, the better ). Any creeks to cross?

I'm based near DC, so it'll take me about 1 hour & 1/2 to get to Rattlesnake Run Rd so I'll have to limit myself to about 3 hours max of riding around the forest (about 6 hours total), so I'll rather just stick to the South side of the park this time.

Thanks in advance!
I see that you're map starts and stops at Bricker Clearing Trail. Not sure if you planned to try and ride that but be forewarned that it is blocked off. If you are planning to try just know that there are some deep mud holes along the route and it drops you right into PS Mont Alto and the DCNR is in that area quite regularly. Have a good ride.
Slim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #386
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Jim View Post
I see that you're map starts and stops at Bricker Clearing Trail. Not sure if you planned to try and ride that but be forewarned that it is blocked off. If you are planning to try just know that there are some deep mud holes along the route and it drops you right into PS Mont Alto and the DCNR is in that area quite regularly. Have a good ride.
How will I know I am on a road that I should not be on? Are they marked about no traffic? or just keep out of locked gates? I will not be leaving stone roads, but I know there is a ton of ATV trails I am not allowed on (road the enduro many times).
Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #387
Slim Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
How will I know I am on a road that I should not be on? Are they marked about no traffic? or just keep out of locked gates? I will not be leaving stone roads, but I know there is a ton of ATV trails I am not allowed on (road the enduro many times).

Some are marked closed to traffic, others have obvious gates. In the case of Bricker Trail, one end is gated but the other end is blocked with huge stones, it's pretty obvious. They are easy to get around (not that I would know) since they put them there mostly to keep the jeeps out, which is where the huge mud holes came from.

ATV trails are definitely off limits only used for the enduro in September and the dual sport in August. Doesn't make any sense as those trails are a mess anyways. I've had quite a few discussions with the rangers there, since it seems like we get pulled over a few times a year, and they have no intention of letting bikes ride those trails year round.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #388
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 462
Thank you everyone for the replies! I have changed the route based on your suggestions.

@Slim Jim I was planning on riding Bricker Clearing Trail since it's marked as a "Drivable Trail" on the map (thanks Jax I have that one and the two smaller - North and South - ones)., good to know it's off-limits.

@Denny Mann, definitely interested in water next time I'm up there!

I've been exploring the back roads in the Frederick and NOVA areas and I (try to) avoid anything that looks like someone's driveway or a gated park road. Weekend riding is about releasing stress, not piling up more!
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #389
Slim Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

@Lupin 3rd, not trying to be a buzz kill but looking at your Google map it looks like you plan to ride Sand Road as well, which for some reason Google has labeled Biesecker Gap (two different roads). Sand Road is at the intersection of Oak and Wirt/Staley roads and it is also gated. One end might be open as they have been doing a lot of logging in that area lately. If you check the map Jax posted you'll see the gates at each end. Typically they only open that road during deer season although this year it was not open.
As an alternative, since it looks like you are coming up Oak road out of Mont Alto, I'd suggest turning right on Wirt road and then turning right on Biesecker Gap road and following that to Mentzer gap. Go left on Mentzer Gap to a left on Old Forge road.
Or turn left on Wirt and follow that around to Staley and then left on to Rothrock road.
Either way enjoy your ride.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #390
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 196
Thread Namea

Nice video.
See if you like these:

No Brakes Required
Listen, Grasshopper
It's Not The Age of the Rider, It's How The Rider Aged
Old Bulls v. Young Bulls
The Darwinian Principle
Survival of the Fittest
Be Like Charlie (Stapleford)

Want more?
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote