ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #571
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling
 
1Bonehead's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Marylanstain
Oddometer: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
they don't have to catch you, they just ban ALL motorcycle on the stone roads, like they are getting ready to do in NJ.
This is what a lot of people don't get.
Post a video of an illegal act and get arrested for it and get everyone else banned because of one bad Apple
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #572
turbojerk
Adventurer
 
turbojerk's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Gettysburg Pa.
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
they don't have to catch you, they just ban ALL motorcycle on the stone roads, like they are getting ready to do in NJ.
I said "LoL"!!

Didn't pick up on the Dukes Of Hazzard theam there I suppose...
turbojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #573
turbojerk
Adventurer
 
turbojerk's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Gettysburg Pa.
Oddometer: 92
From my experience they will do what the wanna do anyway...
turbojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #574
birds
Gnarly Adventurer
 
birds's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: North NJ
Oddometer: 158
I'm glad I found this thread.

I've hiked in this area and I've wanted to come back and ride there. I'm thinking about a little camping and riding here next weekend.

Any suggestions on camping in the area?
birds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:27 AM   #575
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by birds View Post
I'm glad I found this thread.

I've hiked in this area and I've wanted to come back and ride there. I'm thinking about a little camping and riding here next weekend.

Any suggestions on camping in the area?
You can camp at Caledonia State Park if you are looking for "organized" camping. There are also small designated camping areas at the Big Flat parking lot to the AT, at the Piney Mountain parking area at the north end of Piney Mountain Ridge Road, at Whispering Pines off District Road and at Birchtree Ridge off of Woodrow Road.

Primitive backpack camping is permitted anywhere in Michaux. You need a free permit if you stay more than one night at the same backpack campsite.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #576
TowPro
Healing time Sucks
 
TowPro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Compass PA
Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojerk View Post
I said "LoL"!!

Didn't pick up on the Dukes Of Hazzard theam there I suppose...
I understand. But this thread has a large following, some don't know to keep off the ATV ONLY trails, and then there are active participants here that are known by DCNR and have positive relationships with them.

Its good to put a reminder out here every once and a while :).

I think the term is "policing our ranks together" (through education).

Motorcycles are only allowed on roads open to the public.
ATV's are only allowed on ATV trails.
In PA, An ATV is a device with 4 or more wheels.
__________________
2014 R1200GS - My Naked Street Touring Bike
2000 KTM LC4 640 E - For everything else
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #577
turbojerk
Adventurer
 
turbojerk's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Gettysburg Pa.
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I understand. But this thread has a large following, some don't know to keep off the ATV ONLY trails, and then there are active participants here that are known by DCNR and have positive relationships with them.

Its good to put a reminder out here every once and a while :).

I think the term is "policing our ranks together" (through education).

Motorcycles are only allowed on roads open to the public.
ATV's are only allowed on ATV trails.
In PA, An ATV is a device with 4 or more wheels.
Thats why I asked the question in the first place!

Just FYI, I've owned a 4-wheeler (or 3-wheeler) since I was 10 y.o.

BTW,... 3-wheelers aren't alowed any more???

turbojerk screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 05:22 AM
turbojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #578
birds
Gnarly Adventurer
 
birds's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: North NJ
Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
You can camp at Caledonia State Park if you are looking for "organized" camping. There are also small designated camping areas at the Big Flat parking lot to the AT, at the Piney Mountain parking area at the north end of Piney Mountain Ridge Road, at Whispering Pines off District Road and at Birchtree Ridge off of Woodrow Road.

Primitive backpack camping is permitted anywhere in Michaux. You need a free permit if you stay more than one night at the same backpack campsite.
Thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to it. Not many chances for legitimate primitive camping for me.
birds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #579
TowPro
Healing time Sucks
 
TowPro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Compass PA
Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojerk View Post
Thats why I asked the question in the first place!
My response was NOT directed at you. Just reminding others reading this thread that Motorcycles are not allowed on the PA State Forest ATV trails. (you need to turn on PM's )

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms.../chapter77.pdf
7702. Definitions.
The following words and phrases when used in this chapter shall have, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the meanings given to them in this section:
"All-terrain vehicle" or "ATV." A motorized off-highway vehicle which travels on three or more inflatable tires and which has:
(1) a maximum width of 50 inches and a maximum dry weight of 1,000 pounds; or
(2) a width which exceeds 50 inches or a dry weight which exceeds 1,000 pounds.
ATV's described in paragraph (1) may be referred to as Class I ATV's, and ATV's described in paragraph (2) may be referred to as Class II ATV's. This term does not include snowmobiles, trail bikes, motorboats, golf carts, aircraft, dune buggies, automobiles, construction machines, trucks or home utility machines; military, fire, emergency and
__________________
2014 R1200GS - My Naked Street Touring Bike
2000 KTM LC4 640 E - For everything else
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #580
turbojerk
Adventurer
 
turbojerk's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Gettysburg Pa.
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
My response was NOT directed at you. Just reminding others reading this thread that Motorcycles are not allowed on the PA State Forest ATV trails. (you need to turn on PM's )
It’s all good,…I know… I was just stating my reason for the question… As tempted as I was (and probably others before me) to just turn down that trail head I knew in the back of my mind that for some reason unknown to me at the time it was a no-no! Not sure why exactly but I just figured from past experiences….

My first experience ATVing there was kind of a buzz kill… We all got treated like criminals in the parking lot while loading up even though we all had our temp stickers on our quads… That was WAY back in the late 90’s though… Hopefully that type of treatment has all changed for the better! Haven’t been back ATVing since….
turbojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #581
Kidicarus
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Steelton, Pa
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post

In PA, An ATV is a device with 4 or more wheels.

So, what if i attached training wheels to my bike?

Disclaimer:
BTW, I am in no way serious!!
Kidicarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #582
turbojerk
Adventurer
 
turbojerk's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Gettysburg Pa.
Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidicarus View Post
So, what if i attached training wheels to my bike?

Disclaimer:
BTW, I am in no way serious!!
"Technically" according to the rules you only need to attach one training wheel!

BTW, I am in no way serious either....
turbojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #583
TowPro
Healing time Sucks
 
TowPro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Compass PA
Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidicarus View Post
So, what if i attached training wheels to my bike?

Disclaimer:
BTW, I am in no way serious!!
Check the link above. It goes on to talk about low pressure tires and stuff like that.
__________________
2014 R1200GS - My Naked Street Touring Bike
2000 KTM LC4 640 E - For everything else
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #584
Kidicarus
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Steelton, Pa
Oddometer: 25
Talking

The definition for "low pressure tire" was deleted according to the site. So technically a dirt bike, since it doesn't fall under the "vehicle that must be or is required to be registered" statement, with pneumatic training wheels would qualify as an ATV. With enough money and the right lawyer anything is legal. I have neither, but it could be argued since they created such large loopholes. They would probably slap you with some other b.s. charges and ban all bikes anyways, but i'm just saying it doesn't completely exclude them.
Kidicarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #585
Denny Mann
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: South Central Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 204
Action speaks louder than forums. How many of you that are complaining about motorcycles on state forest's belong to the Pennsylvania Off Highway Vehicles Association? The PaOHV Executive Director, Dick Lepley has a meeting the end of this month with the Director of Pennsylvania DCNR. Unlike the DCNR he doesn't have the time to read complaints on forums. He relies on the membership to keep him up on issues such as the problems with 7 Mountains Dual Sport and Shade Mountain Trail Systems. Go to www.PaOHV.org and join or waist your time complaining on forums.
Denny Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014