Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #616
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Jockey View Post
I assumed you needed to pay rent a camp site, but if you can just pitch a tent anywhere thats awesome!

Is is legal to just camp where ever you want in Michaux?
I don't know for sure, but I think it is as easy as picking up a free camping permit at the ranger station. They probably just want to know where and when you will be in case they need to evacuate you in an emergency like fire/flood, etc
Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #617
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I don't know for sure, but I think it is as easy as picking up a free camping permit at the ranger station. They probably just want to know where and when you will be in case they need to evacuate you in an emergency like fire/flood, etc
Primitive backpack camping is legal without a permit anywhere in Michaux as long as you do not spend multiple nights at the same campsite. The rangers don't really seem to care where anyone camps within the forest. The AT through-hikers rarely bother to get a permit from the Michaux office and they are the vast majority of campers in Michaux.
Paebr332 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #618
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,677
I made it up to Michaux yesterday on a last minute trip from southern MD. I didn't even take time to figure out what parts I wanted to see, so I just rode up and aimlessly wandered around. It was a really good day (the weather was a lot better up there than it was down here, so that helped, too) but I think I missed a lot of the forest roads.

I came in on Rattlesnake Run, rode up High Rock to Cold Springs, then to Three Springs and over to District where I stopped by the Carbaugh Reservoir.

I headed down Carbaugh and then found my way to Old Forge before turning onto Swift Run and then noticing the overlook on Snowy Mountain Rd:

On Coral Ridge (or Swamp Rd as Garmin calls it...) I ran across an Amish guy (I guess...he had black slacks, a white buttoned up shirt and the Amish haircut ) hiking the Appalachian Trail. He waved me down and explained that he was heading north on the trail and couldn't see where to pick it up on the other side of the road. Instead of picking a direction and walking a few hundred feet, he asked me to scout it out since I was heading west anyway. I waved him over when I found it and then headed on my way.

Not knowing where to go I hit 233 west and picked up the forest road at the top of the sharp left hand bend, followed it around to a left on White Rock Rd and then noticed Bricker Clearing Trail on the GPS. It showed up as a main road, but went from a rocky trail to a wooded two track run. I'm not sure if I was trespassing or not, but I ended up on Penn St property and never saw any signs posted. It was a nice little trail though:

I worked my way back southeast to Old Forge via Staley and Wirt, stopping at the end of Wirt to sit around the creek for a few minutes:

I ran Old Forge back up to Rattlesnake Run and then headed home. I'm pretty sure I missed a lot of good roads, but all that means is there's plenty that'll be new next time I make it up there. I just wish I lived a little closer...
2. To ignore an event until the last minute so as to avoid any expectations of attendance, but then show up anyway.
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #619
Vulin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I've been up here the whole weekend. Haven't had alot of time to ride. I ran across an older guy Saturday afternoon on a black Drz just above the reservoir. I'll be out tomorrow morning rain or shine till about 10- 1030
Vulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #620
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,687
Sorry I couldn't make it Badguy, but it looks like you got a good sample of the fun. There are hundreds of miles. Almost every one of which, SoPaRider (Distinguished Dr. Michaux) has mapped and written turn by turn directions for.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #621
badguy
Susan

No worries, I hope you're feeling better.
I should've taken a picture of the satellite view of Michaux with me so I knew how far north it stretched...for some reason I thought I was going too far north I definitely want to get back up there with someone to show me more of the good stuff!
2. To ignore an event until the last minute so as to avoid any expectations of attendance, but then show up anyway.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #622
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulin View Post
I ran across an older guy Saturday afternoon on a black Drz just above the reservoir.
don't Jeff ride a black DRZ? Did you stop and talk to him? You might have met "Mr Michaux" :)

I was up but stayed on my side of the hill because I had family up. I took the wife out Sunday through some of Buchanan State Forest just to see if she could "hang" on the rougher terrain. NO problems I even took her up a pretty rough road I would not take the pickup truck on.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #623
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
don't Jeff ride a black DRZ? Did you stop and talk to him? You might have met "Mr Michaux" :)
he mighta been riding something else, but SPR rides a clean 90s DR350/441 and a modern DR650 and DL650. It's all Suzi...
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #624
Vulin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
My pictures from this morning.

Vulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #625
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Sorry I missed hooking up with you on Saturday badguy, that will teach me to check my e-mails more often,
oh and have a "Happy Birthday" tomorrow!

My DR350/441 is mostly white with a purple frame, the DR650 is again mostly white with a gray frame and the wee-strom is gray and black with a black frame.
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #626
badguy
Susan

Nice shots, Vulin!

SoPaRider - Don't worry about missing the email...being too connected is overrated anyway Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Do you know if Bricker Clearing Trail is private property, or was I ok taking that from White Rock Rd to the Penn State campus?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #627
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
I don't know if Bricker Clearing Trail is on private property or not, but if you came out on the Penn State Mont Alto campus I'm pretty sure riding motorized vehicles off of the pavement would be frowned upon there!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #628
dsmith
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I don't have any pictures but enjoyed putting 100 miles on my SP200 Suzuki this sunday in Michaux! It was really cool because more trails were open due to an Enduro race was going on at the same time. Had a blast.
dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #629
Denny Mann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Thumb

I got some great news from the Director of PaTRA, Dave Whiteman last night. The PaTRA & PaOHV efforts to stop the DCNR’s shortening of the Dirt Bike and Dual Sport season in Bald Eagle State Forest will not happen at this time. The two riding areas, 7 Mountains & Shade Mountain will remain open this fall. The District Office will pass this issue to the higher level authorities in Harrisburg. PaOHV has a meeting scheduled with the Secretary of the DCNR later this fall and will discuss the motorcycle riding issues. We owe a lot of thanks to everyone who wrote letters to the DCNR about this issue. Working together has paid off.
Denny Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #630
TowPro
Getting there

Denny, Sorry I didn't make it up to help you last weekend, family obligations and honeydue list stuff.
Same reason I missed Green marbles Enduro.