User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #16
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 5,005
A bunch of the pics don't show up on my computer Is this a problem on my end

I really want to ride all that single track. Every time I have gone down there the people I'm with aren't interested or their bikes are not the right tool.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #17
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike
A bunch of the pics don't show up on my computer Is this a problem on my end
I can't see them either. Not a problem on your end. Photobucket has bandwidth limits and there are too many ADV'ers trying to see the photos. However, the couple photos I can see look incredible!

Motorcycle Tours in Guatemala
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 487
Sorry guys, I was trying to not pay for photo sharing, but PhotoBucket is telling me I am over the bandwidth.

I should have some time in a few days and get back to it.
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #19
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

kpmacker – Thanks! My camera is just an old Panasonic point and shoot and here comes Day 4.

ktm950se – Well….lets just say our fearless leader had to call all the way up to the Godfather himself and the only way he would send the tracks is if they don’t get on the internet so unfortunately, no.

crashmaster – Thanks! All I can say is Bill Nichols is a great man. Not sure about Fred’s Tractor Trail, we had one we were calling One Way Hill but I’m sure it just depends on who you ask if it is the same.

MotoMike – Yea, it is hard finding the right combination, I feel real lucky looking back at it.

kta – Thank you kindly!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #20
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Day 4: Through The Green Door

Photobucket

After the previous stressful 250 mile day the cinnamon coffee never tasted so good.

We said goodbye to our little friend living under the trashcan and hit the road.

Photobucket

After a bit of gravel roads we hopped on the Green Door Trail and wallowed over to Punta San Francisquito. Apparently the local rancher thought the brightly panted door would be better suited in his home because the door isn’t there anymore, or that’s the story I heard, but in the West you have not business telling a story if you can't add to it. We did get a taste of prison life in though.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This had obviously been run in a recent Score course and honestly if wasn’t an incredibly enjoyable ride all torn up especially in comparison to the first couple days.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And after a quick 90 mile day we were relaxing on the beautiful San Francisquito beach.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This place has seen a ton of change over the last few decades. Originally this was going to be a fly-in Club Med type of an establishment with women hanging from the rafters. After that, with a runway at one edge of the property, surrounded by nothing but desert for a hundred miles, the drug runners decided that it would be an excellent fuel stop. Consequently the Federalies put up shop and since moved out and now it is under new management catering to quite a few dirt bikers and serving up what one San Franciscan we met described as the best fist tacos he has ever had in his life. I agree 100%.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 11-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #21
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Day 5: Off To see the Chapel

We woke up with the sun as usual and had some equally good huevos rancheros as the fist tacos from the night before.

After running into a few new (to AG) fences we went out the way me came in and made it over to the beach.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We had to cut off a few sections because it turns into what I guess you could describe as nothing but little polished river rocks. You can ride them but you have to be going at a good clip to stay on top and they can put you down in the blink of an eye, it’s just not worth it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

But one section was so nice we had to ride it twice…or maybe three times actually.

Photobucket

Then we hopped on the bit that AG had been going over in his mind since the start. He tells the story of trying to make it out on his Can Am but the guys he was with didn’t have their hearts in it. It was a few years later, in the day of the XR 600, until he could find someone crazy enough to try again to get through the drainage system to make it through. He said in their efforts they met an old rancher who had an old rusty car out there and said they drove it in many many years ago but it took a few more years to convince a the second guy’s brother, a Tucker Rocky rep, to load up their XR 600s with full camping gear and try for a third time. TM tells the story of making it out to an old road and him and his buddy high fiving standing up riding side-by-side down the road as they came out to the old corral.

Photobucket

Then cut inland to the charming little town of San Ignacio.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Typically AG is in bed with the sun but I was getting a year older and drug him out on the town. We hung out the town square for a while and checked out the local scene at the Internet café, let the fam know we are still alive, and had a few shots underneath the old mission, definitely my best birthday ever.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #22
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Awesomeness!
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #23
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Very cool.
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #24
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 5,005
I can see 'em now! Fantastic.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #25
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Oh man, I enjoyed every single one of those shots, pal! Thx for sharing.

And people from LA tell me I'm crazy for going to Baja all the time. "Why would you DO that?" they ask! Your pics answer that question well.

I don't have my book on the missions here at the office, but you were no doubt close to the ruins of some of the original Jesuit missions and without a doubt crossed some of the roads the padres like Eusebio Kino used back in the 1700's.

To this day I still haven't been to San Francisquito. I'm planning on taking my 12 yr old son down in our 4x4 Baja van in January with the kayaks on top for a few day of beach camping, fishing, cerveza in the sun, etc.

Got more?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.

TemeculaRider screwed with this post 11-10-2010 at 03:47 PM
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #26
wrstu
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Cool2 got the bug!

I've never been to Baja before and I've had lots of friends that have been trying to convince me to get there. After seeing your pics and blog, I'm definitely hooked. I've dropped the bomb with my better half that I'm going in Feb 2012. Not sure if my keys will still fit the lock when I return home, but I'm sure the riding experience will make it all worth it.....
wrstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #27
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Oh, forgot to ask about Larry. Was he there when you were at Racquel & Larry's? Hopeing he's doing well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #28
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Thanks guys! Glad to share what I can.

TemeculaRider – There is just something about Baja: the freedom, the beauty, the people, the remoteness, you either hate it or you can never get enough. We definitely saw the old Jesuit roads, quite incredibly wide, aren’t they? San Fracisquito may be a bit rough on the accommodations but the location is amazing the food is awesome and the family that runs it is great. Sounds like a great trip! Larry was there the second time we came through, it was great hearing about the old Baja lore, he seemed like he was doing well.

wrstu – Its amazing down there, at least you still have plenty of time to smooth it out, or just fly her into Cabo for a long weekend.

There is definitely more to come!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #29
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
I've spent quite a bit of time in Baja and can say for sure that you guys are doing it right. That's the Baja I love.

Too bad about the Green Door ride being all torn up,when its not its really enjoyable sand two track riding. Might take it a few years of wind and rain to recover.

On a better note, I took a little break from my travels last March and of course went to Baja. The Calamajue wash was in the best condition I have ever seen it. The flooding from the hurricanes the season before really cleaned it up. We were making fresh tracks all the way through, it was like breaking trail, epic.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #30
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Day 6: Around the Horn

After a bit of touristic activity we hit the road and headed west.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We rode as much beach as possible as we made our way around the horn. Our path led us through the “dump” and we didn’t make it out unscathed. AG caught a nail just across from the cemetery.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

On the way we rode some beach sections of nothing but shells that was next to impossible to ride

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The patch we tried across from the cemetery didn’t hold so the second time we put the spare front tube in his rear rim and found an air compressor to borrow from some friendly locals.

We then cruised inland for some gas and made our way to Bahia Tortugas

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

...and finished our 230 mile day on the headlights luck to find a room in the one hotel.